Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Running in he rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running in he rain

Rain sucks first and foremost. It seems every weekend I have he chance to get out and use my nitro car it rains. Othe than the electronics getting wet. Is there any other reason to not drive in the rain. I'm not saying down pours but light sprinkles. Nothing hard enough to get water in the motor.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Running in he rain

Absolutely nothing at all. I drive mine in the rain all the time. It's a blast, and the lowered grip lets you pull off sweet drifts, easy donuts, powerslides, burnouts and all sorts of related shenanigans. I have my servos protected, my radio boxes sealed, and I set up my pit area in a dry area so I don't get water in the fuel or on the transmitter.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 PM

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]rains no problem solong as you take the precautions like 378 said.
Put your reciever and battery pack in a balloon (each apart) and seal the area where where the servo cables go in the box, seal up your servos and oil up you air filter. Ready to rumble.[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 PM

Sweet thx guys
Old 06-23-2011, 01:15 PM

I hate baloons. Take an extra few minutes and pull the cases off the electronics and apply dielectric grease. Do that one time and you'll never have to worry about water intrusion again. I do this to all my boats and even if I sink the the electrics are good to go. Drying out the submerged engine takes a bit more effort but the electrics are good.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM

Where do you get dielectric grease im building a boat and could use to do that
Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 PM

Any auto parts store. Don't get the little "ketchup pack" things. There's usually a bigger, 3-4oz, can that lasts a long time.
I put a thin layer on the circuit board and at all entry points and on the seams too.
Heck, I even use it on the electronics in my 1:1 jet skies and it does a good job there too.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those ketchup pack things are often sold to go along with plug wires. Most chains won't sell it to you in that format when you're buying just dielectric grease unless you specifically ask for it in that format.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 PM

+1[sm=thumbs_up.gif]Dave, thats also an option.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:59 AM

ORIGINAL: 378

Those ketchup pack things are often sold to go along with plug wires. Most chains won't sell it to you in that format when you're buying just dielectric grease unless you specifically ask for it in that format.
I only said that because the store I frequent has a tub of them sitting by the cash register with a sign advertising dielectric grease for replacing bulbs. I just wanted to be sure he knew to look for a larger container.
I do find myself using it for lots of things. I use it when I replace bulbs, on sensor connectors in 1:1 cars, plug wires too. Pretty much anytime I think there might be a water intrusion, corosion, sticking issue, etc...
Old 06-24-2011, 02:46 PM

I knew about the ketchup packet ones just wasn't sure if they would carry bigger bottles. I know what I'm doing this weekend since it's thunder storms all day Saturday
Old 06-26-2011, 05:59 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Clmbngfrk18

Rain sucks first and foremost.
I hate rain. I can see the sky here right now for the first time in weeks...soo many things I've been wanting to do, but not sure what to start with.