Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Dual motor theory?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual motor theory?

So a buddy and I at work started talking about dual motor setups on rc trucks etc. My initial thought is that you will and can have a bunch more low end since you are now dividing the parasitic drivetrain loss between 2 motors instead of putting it all on 1 motor. But as far as top speed is concerned, I would not think you gain any.

Simply thinking that one motor spins at say 29,000rpm at WOT. This rpm gives you 40mph (for example). If you bolt on another 29,000 rpm motor you will not get 80mph out of it, or even 50mph out of it. Most dual motor setups I have seen are mated up to a single common transmission spur gear. And because of that you can't gear one motor with clutch bell "A" and the other motor with clutch bell "B" because they both turn the same spur gear.

So am I right in thinking that no speed will be found but that torque will be improved?

Ialso think the same applies to a setup if you had 4 motors, one for each wheel. The drivetrain loss is now divided by 4 with a 1/4 getting put on each motor resulting in great tq, but again due to the fact they are all the same motor with same gearing, no top speed will be found.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 AM

Default RE: Dual motor theory?

I think the only way you'd get more speed is if you put really tall gears in it. The one motor might not have the umph to get the rpms maxed out but with the load spread over 2 engines you should gain more speed. But yea, if you want more speed i think you'll need an upgraded motor and more juice. I would say you are right.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will get a bit more top speed if you are geared pretty high, because the single motor might not have enough power by itself to push the car to its full rollout speed. It also depends on how heavy the car is. But you are correct for the most part.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Alright, thanks guys. I thought I was right. It makes sence about the full roll out speed and it being put on all one motor. In which case two motors may gain you a little more mph.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM

a bigger motor is better than two smaller motors anyways
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two engines means more torque, more torque means bigger gears can be pulled, bigger gears means more top end.

Also, you can run differing clutch bells on the two engines. It won't be easy on the clutches, as one engine is going to be pulling harder than the other, which will force one clutch to slip, but you can do it. I don't advise it though.