Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

[HELP] Way too much traction!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [HELP] Way too much traction!

Hello... During the past week I've been playing a bit with the setup of my serpent impulse. It drives very fast, easy and consistent now, but still the setup has a problem. Usually these kinds of topics are about people not having enough grip, but I have way too much grip now, so the car occasionally traction rolls in a high speed corner. Also, even though I have some camber, the tyres wear more on the outside than on the inside. Increasing camber will only add more grip, so I don't think I like that option...

My current setup is as follows (Serpent impulse pro):

Rear toe-in: 2.5 degrees
Rear driving camber: 1.5 degrees
Tyres: 30 shore foam
Standard kit anti-roll bar
Blue springs, shocks set to 1 hole open (Hardest setting I can get, as an experiment to reduce traction a bit)

Front toe-in: -1 degrees (toe-out)
Front driving vamber: 1 degree
Tyres: 40 shore foam
Adjustable anti-roll bar set to 'soft'
Yellow springs, shocks 2 holes open.

Ride height is equal on both sides, and is about 5.5 mm. There is no extra suspension travel limit, except that the chassis is set up not to bottom out.

Things I still want to try:
- Lower ride height (though there are some small bumps in the track)
- Reduce suspension droop, to keep the chassis flat
- Harder/softer springs in front
- Play with the sway-bar in front

What adjustments can I try to stop the car from rolling over without sacrificing overall handling too much? [&:]
Why are my tyres wearing more on the outside, even with this camber setup?
Old 09-16-2003, 07:05 AM

Default RE: [HELP] Way too much traction!

Well if it is a nitro, use a bigger engine to slip the wheels more. Or change the tyres.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:43 AM

Well if it is a nitro, use a bigger engine to slip the wheels more.
It will just go faster, and roll over even easier

Or change the tyres.
I can't right now... my LHS is not open on tuesdays... But I'll probably try 35/40 shore at the rear...
Old 09-16-2003, 10:09 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Your ride height is way to high, you want to be down in the 4mm area. The height setting you have could certainly contribute to rolling.
Keep in mind that the end that is lower will have more traction.
Try this first before doing anything else, if this does not fix the problem then I would try taking a little toe out of the rear end. Try 2 degrees instead of 2.5.

You tire wear could be caused by several things.

You may want to try and step back on your toe and camber settings so that the car is loose. Then make small adjustments at the track until its hooked up.

Use a white marker or chalk on your tires and watch how they wear, adjust your settings accordingly to even them out.
Keep in mind that foams wear quickly and as they wear the setup changes.

If you have a high traction track you could also go up in weight on the shock oil.

Also, watch your speed into the turns, any car will roll if you go in to fast.

Dbow
Old 09-16-2003, 05:38 PM

Ok. I think it's going to be thursday that I'm going to visit the track again, and I'll start by lowering the ride height (and suspension droop) first and see how things go.

The tyre wear I don't really understand now. I put some flour on my desk and rolled the car through it and it only sticks to the inside of the tyres. I guess the tyres wear quite fast on the outside when doing turns. I'll drive a few laps slowly and see if they wear even then...
Old 09-16-2003, 09:10 PM

Hey is that negative or postive camber that you are using. You never specified. But it should definetly be negative. I use 45 shore all around at my track, but I also use rubber tires to play around with. My super HPI use to flip alot, but only on concrete. Suspension was really stiff and would flip only if I had the body on. You may wanna check your body out for aerodynamics. I have been able to adjust my camber so that all of my tires wear out evenly. My rear tires use to cone on the outside too.
I would definitely go with what D-bow said and stiffen up that oil. Less roll or weight transfer, the less likely it will roll too much and roll over :-). I have a HPI rs4 SS, and I haven't messed with the ride height much. At the track I run at, some of the guys sorta drift into the high speed turns. I have never seen anybody's car flip due to too much traction. Got up on the shore and see what happens. I think a little more slide in your car would be a good thing.

That's the way I drive anyway.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:30 PM

Its ok man i'll take your serpent off your hands Qlone
Old 09-17-2003, 03:22 AM

Hey is that negative or postive camber that you are using. You never specified. But it should definetly be negative.
It is negative. Still my tyres wear as if I had positive, but I suspect that may also be caused by the chassis rolling over in turns, negating the camber I have set. Definitely need to experiment with this a bit...