Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

one handed transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one handed transmitter

Hey guys. Have not been on in a while. This is going to be a pretty unusal thread I guess you could say. Anyway, I was just going to see if yall have any ideas on a one handed radio. The reason I'm looking into this is because I was recently in a motorcycle wreck that resulted in having my right arm amputated. I have been using my dx3r for years now. I've been kinda playing around with it by just using my thumb to turn the wheel. It seems to work but the wheel is a little too far rorward for me to get a good reach on it.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

one option I can think of is maybe a 4 channel plane radio use the right side, and 2 channels on it. You can have left right, forward, and reverse tied to one stick it would probably take a while to learn, but I'd guess would be easier then using a traditional controller with 1 hand.

Like this http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html
If you know someone that is good at tinkering it can be swapped it so the left side auto centers instead of the right(or both depending on skill in tinkering)

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 01-07-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:14 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your accident.
A single stick transmitter may work also for you. Twist the stick cw-ccw for steering and push it forward/pull it back for throttle Or you could get one custom made for you. I see where radio south made a foot controller modification for a user to operate the throttle with his foot.
http://www.radiosouthrc.com/custom_work.htm
Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great. Thanks guys. Might give them a call and see what they can do for me. I like the idea of the stick with a twist.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't matter for the nitro vehicles you have now since a servo is is used, but you can't just connect a ground esc to an airplane radio system. Airplane radios and ground radios have a different PWM range for the throttle and an adapter like a Pistix must be used to properly calibrate a ground esc to an airplane radio. Just something to think about for later or if you're ordering a custom radio I"d see if it can be built with a ground radio's throttle PWM range so an adapter won't be needed if you ever go electric. I know Spektrum will add springs to the throttle of their aircraft radios if you send it to them, the other major manufacturers will probably do the same.

Just out of curiousity, if the wheel was moved more to the rear or on the rear of the radio would that work for you? Radios are usually fairly simple inside and it wouldn't be hard to relocate the wheel. Maybe mounted on a flat plate that's affixed to the Tx. Just something to think about.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 01-10-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
It doesn't matter for the nitro vehicles you have now since a servo is is used, but you can't just connect a ground esc to an airplane radio system. Airplane radios and ground radios have a different PWM range for the throttle and an adapter like a Pistix must be used to properly calibrate a ground esc to an airplane radio. Just something to think about for later or if you're ordering a custom radio I"d see if it can be built with a ground radio's throttle PWM range so an adapter won't be needed if you ever go electric. I know Spektrum will add springs to the throttle of their aircraft radios if you send it to them, the other major manufacturers will probably do the same.

Just out of curiousity, if the wheel was moved more to the rear or on the rear of the radio would that work for you? Radios are usually fairly simple inside and it wouldn't be hard to relocate the wheel. Maybe mounted on a flat plate that's affixed to the Tx. Just something to think about.
Funny I did it in the past, and it worked just fine
Had 2X traxxas XL-2.5's plugged into a Flysky 6channel airplane radio. Both had perfect response without this pistix doohickey. The PWM range would be identical as servos use the same PWM range, and there aren't airplane only servos that I know of.

Just looked at that Pistix thing it actually is for the reverse using a airplane ESC, on a ground based radio so you don't need a rubber band to pull the trigger all the way back.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 01-10-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:45 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Syco you're totally right about the Pistix being for using an air esc with a ground radio, I had it reversed. While the PWM range is the same between ground and air, air esc's don't have a neutral point programmed into the middle of the PWM range like ground esc's do. Air esc's use the full PWM range with OFF being the same as 100% reverse in a ground esc hence the rubber band trick if you don't have a Pistix. According to my previous post I'm wrong again but I'm going with I explained the PWM part wrong the first time! Lol Thanks for clearing up my mistakes though.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 01-10-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best bet would be to swap the sticks around then u don't have to worry because then the left stick would have a neutral