Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

TRX4 crawler kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX4 crawler kit

With winter coming fast I’m thinking about build a TRX 4 crawler kit for a winter project, I know they can be built in a day or so but I want to work on it when
the snow is flying and it’s single didgets outside, I’ll go slow and take my time with it. The last kits I built were in the 80’s for my son, they were the Tamiya frog and grasshopper kits. I know Traxxas has two versions, the TRX4 , and the TRX4 sport, I’m thinking the TRX4 cuz it comes with all the electronics, so maybe they’ll be simpler to install than if I got electronics other than Traxxas, and from what I understand the Sport is a single speed trans, and no locking axels. Now I’ve never even held a rock crawler so I really know absolutely nothing about them but on the you tube vids they look like a lot of fun. Right now I have 3 RC trucks, an HPI Savage 4.6, a Traxxas TMaxx 2.2 and a Traxxas 2 wheel drive Stampede. Ive been going back and forth between a road car and rockcrawler as both are cool. Since it’s been about 33 yrs since I last built a kit I’d appreciate any advice from y’all.
thanks,
Paul
Old 11-22-2021, 07:42 PM

I recently picked up a TRX4 '79 Bronco myself and am LOVING it. I've had the truck about a month, taken it out to the trail several times, and have installed several upgrades on it thus far.

Can't say for the simplicity of the kit build since I went RTR, but a few points to consider with the TRX4s. Most people swap out the servos pretty quick. The stock TRX4 steering servo simply doesn't have enough torque to turn the wheels while the truck is stopped in awkward positions. My Bronco has the stock servo and I can't wait to swap it out.

From a value standpoint, you're better off with the full TRX4 kit and swapping in whatever electronics you want. Just the locking/unlocking diffs alone cost the difference in price from the Sport kit to the full kit. Another thing to think about is the body. The standard kit doesn't come with one, while the Sport does. That may change the value equation for you depending on your wants and needs. I personally got into crawlers because I wanted a scale looking truck, as all I've had over the years were standard fare for monster trucks, stadium trucks, and touring cars about 10-15 years ago. The Sport's body, while nice, didn't really tick the box for me in the scale department.

Consider where and how you're going to be driving. Are you going to strictly crawl on rocks, or are you going to do some trail crawling? The Sport is a better rock crawler out of the box due to it's lighter body and less overhang (better approach and departure angles), but the standard TRX4 has a tighter turning radius with the unlockable diffs and can go a few mph faster due to the 2 speed. I fall into the trail crawling category and find myself switching the diff and transmission frequently. The diffs and 2-speed are what sold me on the TRX4 over the other crawlers that was also considering, such as the Redcat Gen8 V2 (more comparable to the TRX-4 Sport since it doesn't have a 2 speed or unlocking diffs) and Axial SCX10 iii Early Bronco (2 speed is less effective than the TRX4's and I wasn't completely sold on the Dig unit. Though I do like the fact that it has an interior and an engine looking motor cover.). BTW, the standard TRX4 is pretty quick for a crawler on 3S.

If you plan on doing some upgrades other than electronics, consider brass diff and portal covers, C-Hubs, Steering knuckles, and hex hubs, as well as heavier wheels and stickier tires (stock tires are OK, but there's plenty of room for improvement). The brass upgrades will help quite a bit in keeping the truck planted when climbing and side hilling, while stickier tires will grant better traction on the rocks.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:44 AM

Wow it sure did help, A LOT. Thanks so very much for all the great advice and time you put into helping me. I like that the full kit is a little faster on the trail that’s a biggie for me as I think I’ll be doing as much trail crawling as rock crawling, if not more. You really helped me make up my mind for the full kit.
Thanks Much
Paul
Old 11-23-2021, 07:57 AM

Mydartswinger,
how were the instructions? We’re they pretty clear and straight forward?
paul
Old 11-23-2021, 06:15 PM

Since I went with the RTR version mine didn't come with full assembly instructions, so I can't comment as to the clarity of the build instructions. However, the manuals that did come with the truck are very in depth as to the functions of the truck and the options you have for setting the ESC and radio.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:22 AM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by loves nitro
Mydartswinger,
how were the instructions? We’re they pretty clear and straight forward?
paul
https://traxxas.com/products/models/...-kit?t=support
That manual is actually very, very good IMO. Now, if only Traxxas would put out kits for their other platforms, I'd be more inclined to give Traxxas another go around.