Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Gear Ratio tweaking HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Ratio tweaking HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Now correct me if I'm wrong but a low # teeth pinion gear paired up with a high # spur gear would be optimal for acceleration while high# pinion and low# spur would be (2'nd gear)

If that's correct then I wondering when choosing gears is there a method behind the madness? or will for the most part any gear work? I know the threads (space between teeth) must be equal length so theres no grind.

Generally I think I need help from first base here, any comments are appreciated thanks.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:55 AM

Default RE: Gear Ratio tweaking HELP!!!!!!!!!!

u have it exactly right.

remember - if using a two speed tranny - the change must be equal on both gears. I.E. -if u drop two teeth on the 1st gear pinion, u need to drop 2 teeth on the 2nd gear pinion also. Do small increments at a time. two teeth difference is HUGE.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:10 PM

The same applies for changing the spur gears right? Why is it important to drop both equally? If only one is changed will the transition not be smooth?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:20 PM

usually, most people only change the pinion. the only time u would need to change both the pinion and the spur, is if the difference was so large, that the gears wouldnt touch anymore. but this will only happen with HUGE adjustments.

With a two speed, if u only change first gear, and not second, then the mesh wont match and u wills trip out one of the gears. u can change 1 speed only, but would have to change both the spur and pinion of that gear. both speeds must be equally apart.

example:

Pinion Spur

1st 14 48
2nd 16 46

notice that both are 2 teeth apart. u cant goto a 13/16 pinion. then the match wont be proper. u would have to goto a 13/15 pinion, or change the spur gear on 1st to 49. got it?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:43 PM

Yes thanks for the help Nitro.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:46 PM

no problem. glad i could help.