Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

TEMP GUNS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEMP GUNS?

I've read some posts regarding Temp Guns....most say the OFNA isnt very accurate and some like the Raytek and Duratrax...Does any1 have any experiance with the Temp Gun that Badhorsie sells.I've seen it for $38..is it worth the $$$.
Thnx
DF
Old 01-22-2004, 10:14 AM

Default RE: TEMP GUNS?

I have been using a Raytek for a long time and love it. If you goto a race, u will see 99% of the drivers usuing the Raytek, Exergen, or Carleson Tuning versions. These are the only ones that provide dead accurate results. The others provide good enough results for general bashign and club racing but the reliability and longevity leaves little to be desired. Think of temp guns as cars. Although a hyundai and a mercedes will both get you there, the hyundai may not last as long or be as well made. I recently ran over my ratek with a car and broke it (dont laugh), and am picking up the carleson tuning model tomorrow. will let you know what i think. It is supposed to be better than the raytek and its cheaper too, only 70.00
Old 01-22-2004, 10:20 AM

99.9% of RCing will be bashing,and there is no racing in the future for me...I was hoping to toss a temp gun in my fieldbox and not break the bank at the same time...although I do agree with you ten fold on money well spent....thats one reason I went Losi..and my next basher will be a buggy from OFNA...unless some1 can tell me different about XTMs X-Terminator..but thats a different post at another time.
Thanks Bro.
DF
Old 01-22-2004, 10:27 AM

If you think you will be enjoying this hobby for years to come - spend a lil more now, so you wont have to worry about it again. The better guns such as the Raytek are a lifetime investment. If you are on a very tight budget, the duratrax version seems to work pretty well. Ive know three people who had the ofna version,and none of the three ever worked right.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:32 PM

I personally have an Intercomp temp gun, and have used the Raytec and the duratrax temp gauges. I personally prefer the duratrax temp guage due to it's small size. For temping electrin motor winds, you can get in right on the winds without having to take the body off. It really helps to get a true straight off the track temperature.

We all know everyone loves the Raytec for the laser. Although it is useful in pestering your racing buddies across the room, or their car on the track depending on how brave you are, the laser isn't exactly where the temp is being taken, and I have found that you need to move it around a bit like any temp gun until you find the hot spot, or the highest temperature.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:13 PM

I read a different thread that complained that the ofna one wasn't very accurate, then another person said that it was because it needed to be calibrated. Also, on the same post someone else said that they had a raytek temp gun and a duratrax one, and that they both read the same temperature. Makes me wonder if the raytek one is really all that much better cause I've been thinking of picking up a temp gun as well.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:30 AM

prozak - it isnt that the raytek is going to be lightyears more accurate. It is quality and craftsmanship. If you get a year out of the duratrax model, I imagine that you would be pretty lucky, however, I would expect to be put into a casket before a raytek stops working.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:56 PM

I have a pocket temp gun. It's not Ofna or Duratrax... forgot who's it is.... came in a metal silver box... it's black in color.... They advertise in the back of Rc Car Action.

It's REALLY good. Very accurate.

Cost me 35 bucks at my LHS.

-Spo-
Old 01-24-2004, 09:51 PM

My temp gun is made by Atomik. I just checked.

-Spo-