Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can I fit a .15 to .12 car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I fit a .15 to .12 car?

I've got a Tamiya XBG 1/10 car with a .12 engine at the moment. However, the current engine is pretty stock and I want to upgrade to a Force 15 Pro .15 engine. Will this fit into the current engine mounts and chassis? Do you reckon that the current diffs and gearbox could stand the extra power?
thanks,
Old 06-16-2004, 01:51 PM

Default RE: Can I fit a .15 to .12 car?

It should fit. But dont assume that just cause its bigger it will have extra power (although a stock .12 would prolly be weaker than a stock .15). But my O.S. CV-R .12 owned my Pro .15 any day of the weak, and thats running nearly 100 degrees cooler. How much is the engine you're getting? I personally would get an O.S. CV-R .15 and go all out for no more than 40 dollars more than the engine you're gonna get.

But to answer your questions, your drivetrain should have no problem with the little extra power. But still, go ahead and buy a nice O.S. or Fantom .12 or .15 so you can have some fun [>:].
Old 06-16-2004, 01:53 PM

The current Tamiya engine isn't very powerful - I'd estimate about 0.3 - 0.4 hp. This Force 15 kicks out 0.7 hp. So the power is nearly doubling. It's not so much the top end speed (although that is an issue) but rather the slow-speed acceleration. I need the torque of a bigger engine really.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:56 PM

Id go with the o.s. .15 cv, you can get them for under 80 bucks and they are awesome. They have so much power, they are probaly the best engine you can get for the price.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:04 PM

The O.S. .15 CV only puts out .68 HP, and only 30k RPMs max. And Ive never seen any engine put out lower than 30k (most stock engines are about 30k RPMs actually). So the CV prolly has about the same performance as the engine he's looking at, but it also has that ghetto cooling head. And enyaengine that power increase is nothing to worry about. The O.S. CV-R .15 has 1.2 HP and the CV-R .15 has 1.2 HP, while the CV-R .12 has 1 HP. So you can see where the CV-R .12 would even be a better choice.

Although Ryan is right about how the CV engines are very reliable, easy to tune, and good for beginners in racing. They might be a little underpowered for bashing (most people also like to do burnouts and wheelies when bashing), but in races, where you wanna keep the frotns down and the rear end stuck, it has the perfect amount of power, and still plenty of speed.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:16 PM

off topic: wouldnt a burnout ruin something in the car like the clutch? is it just putting your foot in front of the car and giving it full throttle until the tyres wear out?
Old 06-16-2004, 02:24 PM

If you put the car up to your foot and gassed it, it would probably just burn up your clutch. If you have a powerful engine and give it gas real fast sometimes that power will cause the wheels to spin out without anything stopping the front end, and it will do a burnout. Or more likely a wheelie.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:06 PM

In the UK the OS engines are exactly the same price (if not a little more expensive), so I'm more tempted by the Force engine. My main worry was about the added power on the drive train and clutch, but you tell me that's nowt to worry about, so that's allright.
Once I've finished my boat project (costing a bit) then I'll sort out that engine then.
Thanks for the help, fellas.