Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Pros/Cons of gas rc's

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros/Cons of gas rc's

I am looking to buy an rc car...what do you think are the pros/cons of the different gas options? nitro, etc.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Pros/Cons of gas rc's

I'm reasonably new to nitro, but so far these are the pros and cons 've noticed.

Pros
1) their loud, smokey and smelly (it's a guy thing I think)
2) They go faster straight out of the box. Yes electric can go just as fast, but it costs alot of coin to do it.
3) 1/8 scale. Bigger.
4) Can just refuel rather than recharge a battery pack so with the proper prep you can go most of the day (until your radio batteries die)
5) For realism and over all adrenalin straight out of the box they rock.

Cons
1) they're loud, smokey and smelly. Well actually the loud thing is the biggest issue. THe neighbors don't tend to enjoy us runing our cars as much as we do.
2) Nitro is about $25 per gallon
3) Glow plugs cost between $4 adn $7 each. After you're tuned in and the engine is broken in you shouldn't burn through these too fast though
4) Until you figure it out tuning your engine can be a nightmare.

Having owned both electric and now a nitro I can honestly say that nitro is a bit more work to run, but the fun level has been so much higher that it definitely makes them worth while. Like I mentioned, the biggest issue for me is noise.

Re-reading your post I'm wondering if you mean between regular gasoline and nitro?
If so then it's a totally different thing. Gasoline are going to be 1/5 scale and up. These are going to be much larger so need a little bit larger space. 1/5 scale is also going to cost you alot more. I think they run about $1000 and up.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:51 AM

ORIGINAL: fishboy

I'm reasonably new to nitro, but so far these are the pros and cons 've noticed.

Pros
1) their loud, smokey and smelly (it's a guy thing I think)
2) They go faster straight out of the box. Yes electric can go just as fast, but it costs alot of coin to do it.
3) 1/8 scale. Bigger.
4) Can just refuel rather than recharge a battery pack so with the proper prep you can go most of the day (until your radio batteries die)
5) For realism and over all adrenalin straight out of the box they rock.
LMAO good one fishboy.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:05 AM

you can get 1/5th electric and 1/8th electric. it doesnt cost alot of money to get electrics fast mabye £100 to get them into the 40mph zone, where as you have to spend £300 on a nitro that will do only just over 40. get ya facts right[:@]
Old 09-16-2005, 07:35 AM

I'm not sure if he was looking for a nitro vs electric comparison, or a nitro vs gas comparison.

Nitro vs Gas:
I don't have a gasser, but here is what i do know. Perhaps others can chime in here.

Gas is cheaper(much, much cheaper)
Gas motors tend to have a much longer life.
Gas vehicles usually have much longer run-times on a tank.
Gas vehicles are generally bigger and more expensive
There aren't nearly as many Gas vehicles to choose from
Old 09-16-2005, 07:51 AM
J_D

If i had a spare $700 i would buy a smartech traveller in an instant... GAS engine, not nitro.. runs up to 30 mins on one tank.. and fuel is like $2 a litre... great weekend basher..

My mate has one.. and he never has had any problems with it, its sooo reliable.. only problems he has is running into trees and breaking a suspension arm, which is easiely replaced.. but everything engine-wise is brilliant