Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 buying an rc car.. Tyco R/C Drift kings or Maisto Playerz R/C 1:10? >

buying an rc car.. Tyco R/C Drift kings or Maisto Playerz R/C 1:10?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

buying an rc car.. Tyco R/C Drift kings or Maisto Playerz R/C 1:10?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying an rc car.. Tyco R/C Drift kings or Maisto Playerz R/C 1:10?

Okay so at my lunch break I went to the toys r us to check it out. I saw those new drift kings and now I want one bad. then at the mall earlier today I saw these sweet maisto r/c cars check out the link. http://www.maisto.com/playerz_products.asp?id=140 there so sweet they have high beam and low beams and they light up and they look so gorgeous... now im confused as to which one to buy? and plz dont tell me to buy one of those ones from a hobby shop cuz im not looking to spend anymore then what those costs and any one of those are fine.. now what would you choose?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:00 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: buying an rc car.. Tyco R/C Drift kings or Maisto Playerz R/C 1:10?

not to be mean or anything. but you can do so much better with a hobby grade rc such as a tamyia there cheep and there fun..
Old 10-04-2005, 10:03 PM

sorry but im not looking to start digging around looking for shops then finding out what one is good to buy and etc etc.. im not a huge buff of r/c cars. just want either of those 2 for some cheap fun. thanks
Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 PM
J_D

both are crap, and a waste of money.

and will last about a week.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:28 PM

Rc18mt dude, $150, goes around 20mph stock (maybe more) durable as crap, 1/18th scale, TONS of hop-ups. No offense dude... but i played with those cars when i was like 5... Sorry man, both are crap
Old 10-04-2005, 11:34 PM

Girn,

Ok for me its like this..I try to ask these questions..

What do I want to do with this??
How much do I want to spend
Can I justify $xxx given the amount of time I will spend with it?

Given the funds you have at your disposal, you may decide either way.
No one here can give you a correct answer simply because we dont think like you and we dont have your set of resources

Personally, I think you should keep walking and save your money for a nice watch or something, but like I said, whatever floats your boat!

-Ram
Old 10-04-2005, 11:45 PM

well if i go to a local rc shop what do I say to the guy I want? and he might not even know what it is thanks i dont want to order anything online.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:49 AM

Hey Girn
My suggestion would be go and talk to some of the guys at your local hobby shop, but go into the store looking for information, not a R/C vehicle yet. Learn a few things about the different types of trucks and cars before you decide on buying a tyco or something else. There's nothing stopping you from just browsing several hobby shops before purchasing a car or truck. I know from experience that just looking around at the different options and prices helped me out a lot. Don't let the guys at your hobby shop push you into buying something right away. Just say No thanks, I'm looking or something along those lines. See how far that gets you and than post what you think. People here should be able to help you out.
RCnewguy
Old 10-05-2005, 10:16 PM

I agree with just about everyone else in the R/C circut that those aren't the R/C vehilces that I would call..well...R/C vehicles.

I am going to be the first one here to give you what you really want...an answer!

Ready, here's what you've been waiting for...Go with the Maisto. (Wow I never thought I'd hear myself say that one!) They don't look too bad and they seem pretty good for a cheap first test vehicle.

I would reccomend a good Tamiya, as they can look just as gorgous, but you wanted an answer so I gave you one.

[link]http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=6570&id=839[/link]

[link]http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=18372&id=3094[/link]

[link]http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=5831&id=754[/link]

[link]http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=17990&id=195[/link]

[link]http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=595&id=18[/link]

[link]http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=16619&id=140[/link]

[link]http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=19927&id=3382[/link]

[link]http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=36764&id=1743[/link]

[link]http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=4137&id=195[/link]

Click on all those to see some "Gorgous" models that have some more potential. You can search for more yourself at [link]http://www.TamiyaClub.com[/link].

Hope this was helpful.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:19 PM

Another thing, If it's cool looks and drift performance your looking for, check out the Yokomo Drift package cars.

Go to [link]http://www.Frequency-RC.com[/link] to check out some cool movies and stuff that have to do with R/C drifting. The movies are EXCELLENT!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:48 AM

O_O omg carnt believe you want to waste your money on crap like that! Yea they look nice but are crap, I saw further up that they were going for $150!!! My nitro buggy cost $120 (I think) new. There not fast, There not ruiged :P and loads of hop up's (as in the maisto) Yea like you said they look sweet but they're kids toys.

Sorry for the nag but im dissapointed that you thought bout buying one
Old 10-06-2005, 02:13 PM

cant find anyone that sells tamiya r/c cars around my location.. im in vancouver bc canada.. I called one store if they sell tamiya r/c cars and she said we do and there like 150-160 bucks canada.. im thinking its probably a tank or something that is old and ****ty.. is there any websites that deliever to canada?
Old 10-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Most major retailers deliver to Canada. Tower probably does.

Tamiya's are very good cars...I'm glad you found my post usefull. I personally own 10 Tamiya's, and have abused every one of them!

I have some of them on our Rides page. If you want me to post the link I will, but I just don't want to offend anyone who thinks I am spamming the forum with bombastic advertisments.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:09 PM

ok so I went to that shop that said they sold the tamiya r/c cars.. anyways they have 3 of those tl-01's.. the supra, ferrari, and porsche.. anyways there 159.99 canadian.. and then its 50 bucks for the controller and another 100 for the batery.. **** that im just gonna stick with the tyco thanks for all ur guys help tho.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Girn

ok so I went to that shop that said they sold the tamiya r/c cars.. anyways they have 3 of those tl-01's.. the supra, ferrari, and porsche.. anyways there 159.99 canadian.. and then its 50 bucks for the controller and another 100 for the batery.. **** that im just gonna stick with the tyco thanks for all ur guys help tho.
I think you have the wrong idea about RCuniverse. People here don't converse about those little child play things. there are guys that have hundreds and thousands of dollars into their nitro and electric R/C trucks and cars. No offense man, but those things are trash with a capital T. good....luck?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:05 PM

i dont spend money I dont have.. im just looking for some cheap fun and $300 for me is definitly not cheap.. maybe for some of you it would be but im pretty poor atm.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Girn

i dont spend money I dont have.. im just looking for some cheap fun and $300 for me is definitly not cheap.. maybe for some of you it would be but im pretty poor atm.
I respect that comment[sm=thumbup.gif]. If only more people would think like that taxes here in the U.S. wouldn't be such a B*TCH!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:14 PM

unless I can find a really good deal on those tl-01's.. I looked at towers hobbies and its gonna come out to around 180 for everything before shipping and I dont really want to spend that much.. maybe around 150-160 after shipping and everything.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:17 PM

Try these little things. [link=http://www.iwaverusa.com/products/index.html]iWaver 1:28th scale R/C.[/link] They look pretty sweet. They are 80-90 bucks on tower hobbies. all you'll need are some batteries. AA's i think. [link=http://www.iwaverusa.com/gallery/index.html]Video. (scroll down underneath the pictures).[/link]
Old 10-06-2005, 09:59 PM

Although I loathe those Tyco, New Bright, and Maisto vehicles, I respect his decision and am willing to offer a helping hand.

Like I said, go with the Maisto. Even though those aren't real R/C cars, they are R/C, and this is RCUnverse. (Although I do think that this is the first time anyone has ever reccomended a toy R/C car to a person on this forum...is that an honor or a banable offense?)

Just don't spend over $100 for the whole thing, you are getting so ripped off it's not even funny. I know you want something that you'll never have to maintain, but for around $50 more dollars you can go to eBay and get something really nice that actually can be driven like a normal R/C car.

I will give New Bright this though, if someone is building a realistic project, their Avalanche and Escalade bodies are the only way to go. Check out [link]http://rcrock.com/article7.html[/link] for a cool truck that's not that bad. Of course it's a Clod chassis, but the body and mods he did to it are absolutly stunning.

Just think about it for one more second, I don't want to change your mind, I just want to enlighten you to some facts. An ESC is PROPORTIONAL, none of that "Full Function" crap. A radio system on a real R/C car is PROPORTIONAL, so it's not just full left or full right.

ESC's often have brakes, along with reverse. Real R/C cars have a standardized part system that includes dozens of motor manufacturers and thousands of tuners including hobby shop's with lathes and magnet zappers. Your car is repairable, and tunable, so you can drive your car in a variety of places. about 95% of new cars have oil shocks, and some have aluminum threaded bodies for easy tuning and silky smooth performance, instead of those crappy bounce-a-lots that come in that boinger Maisto. Tires are standard size, width, and tread pattern, so the dozens of tire manufacturers all produce the countless number of tires and inserts to upgrade the handling for any surface, and to replace tires when they wear.

These hobby level R/C cars are maintainable, so they will last 100X longer than that toy store stuff.

for $150 you can buy a brand new, Ready To Run Traxxas Rustler with an ESC and radio installed. All you need is a battery (eXpress Motorsports has a matched 3300 1.71V+ race pack for $50) and a charger (With delta peak cutoff so you don't overheat the cells) and your ready to go!

Whatever you decide to buy I support you. I gave you the facts and I trust that any desicion you make will be the one that makes you most happy, and that you will have your own reasoning behind it.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:32 PM

I bit the bullet and bought the tyco r/c drift kings.. I must say though I am surprised by how quick it is.. I had second thoughts before buying myself but im pleased for it for what I paid. Just want to thank everyone also for there opinions. Ill try and make a video of it if I can its pretty sweet.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:05 PM
J_D

enjoy it while it lasts.. lol... i'd say 2 weeks...

and good lukc finding parts when it breaks... for a few extra dollars u could have bought a TL-01 or something that would have been twice as quick, and much more enjoyable.

but its ur money, waste it as you wish
Old 10-07-2005, 08:18 PM

I'm glad your happy! That's what this hobby is about, and I hope that you will someday be a part of it and all it has to offer.

A video would be great! I don't care what I'm watching just as long as it's either fast or purdy!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:40 PM

that thing isnt gonna break in 2 weeks you just sayin that you sound like you actually know what you r talking about.
I still have the TYCO rc cars i had when i was like 5 obviously i wasnt the best driver back then and yah these things are scratched up but they work just fine.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:36 PM

ya I'd have to agree with him on that.. I still have an old tyco tractor thing that I bought back in 2000 and it still runs fine..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.