Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Top Stadium Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Stadium Trucks

I am interested in getting into the RC hobby and am currently looking at several different manufacturer's trucks. I would really appreciate it if some of you experienced RC racers would take a minute and give me a your 2 cents on some of the RTR trucks. I have been looking at the RC10GT Plus RTR, the Losi XXX NT RTR, as well as the Nitro Rustler. What I am really interested in is how fast I can expect the trucks to be right out of the box, what sort of money you guys put into your rc's to get them competitive, and just your general opinion of the the various trucks. I really want to do my homework before I make the investment and the best way to learn is to ask the folks who have "been there and done that".

Thanks to all those who take the time to reply.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2002, 05:20 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Ok, before you get flooded with oipinions, Here is the most unbiased I can give you. If you want to race, at all, ever in your life with this truck. Buy a 3Xnt or a RC10GT. The losi will do 38 out of the box with no mods, the RC10 will do about 34. Now a lot of people are goingt o tell you that the Rustler will do 45 out of the box, and it is true. BUT, speed does not win trophies, that is less than half. Control and suspension is the large part. People will tell you that in time you will be able to control a rusty on a track, it just takes practice, not true. It has entirely too much power and nothing approaching a race truck suspension. You will buy it and then drop a ton in graphite and shocks and so on to try and make it competitive. I have raced at a lot of track and been to many more and you will never see anything but a Losi or Associated truck in the top 5. And now they are releasing a Mugen ST as well that is very much like the Losi and it will probably be awesome as well. As far as cash, You don't need to drop a lot to be competitive with either truck. Buy a few sets of different tires and a good 6 volt rx pack and you will be set. I have 700 in my race truck Losi in Graphite and motor and tranny. I have also raced my wifes RTR at the same track though and placed 2nd when the kit was broken. Go to your local track and see who races and wins and that will help you out. Also what brand does the hop support because they usually do either Losi or Associated, you can't go wrong with either. I just run losi cause that is the abundance of parts I can get.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:29 PM

I just purchased the Losi XXX=NT RTR . It's my first truck so I have no basis on which to compare it , but I can tell you that it is a a very sweet set - up . Fast right out of the box and it corners like it's on rails . Also you're not going to get a better radio system in a RTR . I - like you- spent a lot of time doing my homework before I made my choice . And I'm very happy with the choice I've made Also everything Slodsm said about the RC10GT is pretty much what I've been hearing & reading . I don't think you'll go wrong with either of these two trucks. Whichever truck you choose take the time to break it in right . Keep it clean and tuned and have a blast enjoy
Old 11-14-2002, 10:16 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Hmmm, well, can't add much b/c the other 2 pretty much nailed it. Both the Losi and AE trucks are in their own class (I'm sure the Mugen MST-1 will be there too). They are racers, but the AE seems to be a little more durable. Top speed is not everything either. There are pros and cons to both. I like the layout of the XXX-NT better than the GT. I like the radio better as well. The engine on the GT is surprisingly strong for a "sport" engine and easier to tune.

Do a search on these 2 trucks on this site and you should find all the info you need to help you with your decision.

If it helps you any, I have a GT and have been looking real hard at the XX-NT, but my brother has the XXX-NT and wants a GT :stupid:
Old 11-15-2002, 02:40 AM

The grass is always greener....
Old 12-19-2002, 10:26 PM

I am partial to the Rustler because they are just so much fun to screw around with, but I like the RC10GT for racing, and as for Losi the parts break more often than a little cheap Walmart car.
The Rustler is great if you want awesome speed, but if you try to take corners at those speeds your truck will end up on its top and well its not always that great to hammer the throttle and pop a wheelie in the middle of a race, so if QUALITY go with the RUSTLER or the RC10GT and if you want the CONTROL too with out spending more money than need be go with the RC10GT
Old 12-19-2002, 10:45 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Losi XXX=NT is what I am about to break in. Very impressive out of the box. Set up is done very well. Layout looks very professional. Nice suspension.....a quality looking truck all the way.

Now....where's my glow ignitor?
Old 12-19-2002, 10:47 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Originally posted by FlyinRazorback
If it helps you any, I have a GT and have been looking real hard at the XX-NT, but my brother has the XXX-NT and wants a GT :stupid:

FlyinRazorback.....maybe you could build a XXX-NGT?
Old 12-23-2002, 06:25 PM

Schumacher XTR-21 - crazy .21 power in a light 1/10 truck....3 speed as standard....all you'll ever want....unless your gonna race in which case it's illegal.

be different to all those with rc10gt's and losi xxx-nt's...
Old 12-24-2002, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by nitro rustler#1
I am partial to the Rustler because they are just so much fun to screw around with, but I like the RC10GT for racing, and as for Losi the parts break more often than a little cheap Walmart car.
OK, and you are basing this assumption on what? How often do you race? How many Losi's have you driven? I suspect the answer is nill to either question. I ran a losi all season this summer and can count the broken parts on one hand. Two tie rod ends and a Tranny case, all of which were not the trucks fault. Sure the GT is a little more durable and a GREAT truck, but the Losi beats it in Suspension and the GT wins in Tranny, But the Losi only breaks in the incapable hands of non drivers who spend most of their time on their lid! You can't blame the equipment for your own short comings. I just started racing 1/8 scale buggy, My first race I took secodn inthe A main with a Storm Pro and a OS Rz V01B motor, do I now need to tell everyone I see the storm sucks and the V01B is slow just because the winner had a TON of skill and drove circles around me? NO! it was my mistakes that let him win. Don't blame the equipment for your own fall backs.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have raced my NR for the past 2 years. Other than a ProBall Diff., MIP CVD's, good tires, JR radio, Big Bore shocks, CV-r12, 0 degree rear arm mounts and high torque steering servo I mainly concentrated on getting the NR to turn. After much experimentation with shock oils and springs (Losi) I got my NR to handle very well indeed. I managed to finish 5th overall in season points against 30 club members driving both GT's and Losi's. My NR is still not steering as well as the others but is very close. I had a great time getting my NR to where it is today but if I knew when I started what I know now I would have bought a GT or Losi to start with and saved myself some cash.

I feel that the Losi steers better than the GT and the GT is a little more trouble free (transmission) than and very easy to work on compared to the Losi. If you don't plan on racing much then the Nitro Rustler is also a good choice.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by carrera
Schumacher XTR-21 - crazy .21 power in a light 1/10 truck....3 speed as standard....all you'll ever want....unless your gonna race in which case it's illegal.

be different to all those with rc10gt's and losi xxx-nt's...
You make a good point but the rtr verison of that car is nearly $100 more than the losi and rc10gt rtr versions.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Nitro Flash
I have raced my NR for the past 2 years. Other than a ProBall Diff., MIP CVD's, good tires, JR radio, Big Bore shocks, CV-r12, 0 degree rear arm mounts and high torque steering servo I mainly concentrated on getting the NR to turn. After much experimentation with shock oils and springs (Losi) I got my NR to handle very well indeed. I managed to finish 5th overall in season points against 30 club members driving both GT's and Losi's. My NR is still not steering as well as the others but is very close. I had a great time getting my NR to where it is today but if I knew when I started what I know now I would have bought a GT or Losi to start with and saved myself some cash.

I feel that the Losi steers better than the GT and the GT is a little more trouble free (transmission) than and very easy to work on compared to the Losi. If you don't plan on racing much then the Nitro Rustler is also a good choice.
But from the sounds of your post,

A you sank a lot of money into it to be competitive. and

B you outdrove all your competition, in those situations, you can give a skilled driver any decent vehicle and only a really good driver will outdrive him with equipment. If you understand what I am saying. Give a fairly new guy a Drake or FT truck and a good racer a Rusty or some other basher truck and the basher is going to win, but it is on driving skill which is a HUGE factor. But it is best to start out with a racer if you want to race.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by slodsm

But from the sounds of your post,

A you sank a lot of money into it to be competitive. and

B you outdrove all your competition, in those situations, you can give a skilled driver any decent vehicle and only a really good driver will outdrive him with equipment. If you understand what I am saying. Give a fairly new guy a Drake or FT truck and a good racer a Rusty or some other basher truck and the basher is going to win, but it is on driving skill which is a HUGE factor. But it is best to start out with a racer if you want to race.
Thanks for the kind words on my driving skills. You are absolutely right on both points. When I bought my Nitro Rustler it was not my intention to race but my son dragged me into it. The Nitro Rustler was hopeless in its stock form as it pushed badly in the corners. If your serious about racing it's not a good starting point but it's a fair racer if you got the time and money to put into it.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:20 AM

Anytime man, I see it all the time. A friend of mine pete with the exact same truck I have from Losi and a very similar motor beats me by 3 laps in a 20 minute main every time we are on the same track together. He has just so much more finnesse (sp) and makes the truck humm whereas I am a little overly aggressive. All depends on the driver.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:11 AM

My little brother has the Nitro Rustler and wants me to get a car to race with him. I also have a cousin that owns a hobby shop so I told him I was looking at the Drake xxx-nt and the Factory Team RC10GT. But he didn't seem to impressed with the xxx-nt. Any suggestions or comments?
Old 12-28-2002, 05:00 AM

BAH.. Get an F-150 SVT Lightning!
Old 12-28-2002, 10:04 PM

Default SLODSM

Hey SLODSM just so you know I like Losi but there overall quality has decreased over the years. And anyway my neighbor's friends has a Losi nitro truck and we get together and race them but the first week he owned it, he spent over $100 in parts, now granted he was a unskilled driver there is no way his truck should have broken that much while racing on a course with 1ft. high jumps. OH SLODSM try to relax and not be so rude!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 03:19 AM

Default Re: SLODSM

OH SLODSM try to relax and not be so rude!!!!!!!!!!!

And what might you be talking about? I have been about as civil as you can be here. Are you lost?
Old 12-29-2002, 03:21 AM

Hey SLODSM just so you know I like Losi but there overall quality has decreased over the years. And anyway my neighbor's friends has a Losi nitro truck and we get together and race them but the first week he owned it, he spent over $100 in parts, now granted he was a unskilled driver there is no way his truck should have broken that much while racing on a course with 1ft. high jumps. OH SLODSM try to relax and not be so rude!!!!!!!!!!!
And also like I said, have you ever driven one? And you admitted your friend was new. So he broke a 100 bucks in parts, I bet he learned a good lesson. Drive it on its wheels and they do not break.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:59 PM

nitro rustler#1,
Was your neighbor's friends Losi a RTR? The RTR's were build off shore and they didn't have the plastic formula right. Parts would break in the slightest crash. Once the broken parts were replaced with Losi replacement parts the RTR was as tough as the kits. Just a thought from a RC10GT FT man.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:02 AM

Nitro Flash I do believe it was a RTR but even the replacement parts broke like crazy, but all in all I still think LOSI trucks are great and the guy just bout a crap truck.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:34 PM

Hey!!!
Bloody hell it took me a while to read all those threads!!!PHEW!!!
Any way, I'm afraid that if you are not looking to race then the cen fun factor rules. 2 speed transmission, .16 engine , tuned pipe, 4wd and convertible into buggy, rally,stadium or monster truck(I have the monster truck) All at the bargain price of £290 ready to run,all you need is fuel and a glowstart!!!!!!

I am amazed at mine!!!

Bit off the subject but o well.

www.cenracing.com sorry the link doesnt work. Go there if any one has nothing better to do.