Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Which radio should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radio should I get?

I'd like to replace this POS Jaguar radio that came with my RC 10GT Plus RTR kit. I don't need anything fancy with a lot of bells and whistles, I'd just like something that's built better than this radio, with the same features this one has. I've been looking at the radios on Tower's web site. They have an Airtronics for $39.95 that looks pretty decent, and a Futaba for $43.95 which also looks good. I know most people probably prefer Futaba over Airtronics, but I flew RC planes for many years using nothing but Airtronics radios, and I never had a single problem with any of them. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think Airtronics makes very good radios.

Also, I don't need an FM. The one I have now is AM, and it works just fine. Any inputs on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:17 PM

Hello!

Well I have the XR3i, and I LOVE the exp adjustments, the instant access to the trim, and also the endpoint adjustments.
I'd highly recommend buying something with these in em. The TRIM adjustments really help

-ram
Old 01-24-2003, 04:07 PM

Who makes the XR3i?
Old 01-24-2003, 04:08 PM

JR:

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...&articleid=746
-ram
Old 01-24-2003, 08:10 PM

This Ace radio is the absolute biggest POS I've ever seen! While running my truck today, there were several occasions when I had stopped the truck, and the radio wouldn't respond at all. Then after turning the receiver switch on and off several times, the steering servo was reponding, but not throttle. Then everything started working again. ***?????? Also, the throttle lo ATV knob came loose form the circuit board inside. That's two of these knobs that now have become disconnected. I was going to send the transmitter in to get fixed because it's still under warranty, but this thing is such a piece of *****, it isn't worth it! I'll just buy another radio and trash this thing! It's garbage!
Old 01-24-2003, 08:17 PM
My Feedback: (16)

MAN....I hate to read stuff like this. My RC10GT is still on the 20 mule team wagon on it's way here.....and this is not very encouraging to read at all.

Why do companies put new and old RC drivers at risk by including such a POS....as grampi so well put it?

I hope there are some company people reading these posts so they will know that this will probably be my last purchase from them due to the fact that there are other offers out there that include some nice radios for the same price!
Old 01-24-2003, 08:18 PM

grampi,

I got the impression that you didn't want to spend much cash, and didn't mind staying with am. If you can find one, the older Hitec Lynx is a nice radio. This is the radio that came with the rc10 gt prior to them going with these POS ace jaguars. I'm looking for one too. There not all that easy to find pirate: .The current Lynx is a POS too .
Old 01-24-2003, 08:22 PM

What do you guys think about these Airtronics radios?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-j.html
Old 01-24-2003, 08:25 PM

Crash,

I've got a hunch that when Hitec destroyed their am "Lynx" with the new replacenent model, that Associated went scrambling to find a replacement in the same price range for the RTR stuff and must not have done their research or couldn't find anything else affordable.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:37 PM

It sounds like they may be taking some direction from Microsoft? Release the product then watch everyone scramble to try and make it work!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by crash_me_over
What do you guys think about these Airtronics radios?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-j.html
I've had quite a few Airtronics radios (for planes) in my day (makes me sound old, doesn't it?), and I've never had a single problem with any of them, not even the cheap ones! I'm very tempted just to order the $40 Blazer Sport from Tower. It's got to be leaps and bounds better than this POS Ace radio! I'm afraid this thing is gonna go haywire while I'm running full speed, then it will cost me some serious money when my truck goes out of control and hits that telephone pole!
Old 01-24-2003, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the JR XR2 , a 2 channel AM version of the XR3. The Losi XXXNT RTR ships with this radio and gear. I have had one for 2 years and I'm more than pleased.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Nitro Flash
Check out the JR XR2 , a 2 channel AM version of the XR3. The Losi XXXNT RTR ships with this radio and gear. I have had one for 2 years and I'm more than pleased.
Who has the best prices on the XR2? I checked with Tower and I don't they sell JR radios.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:49 PM

Same here....That is all that I own for airplane radios.....is Airtronics radios. I have both the AM & FM 4 & 6 channel radios and I have never had one problem with them.

Yes....I have the XXX-NT JR radio. It is a keeper as far as I'm concerned. I'm not into all of the bells and whistle when it comes to radios. I want them to work when I need them to and look for the basics like dual rates.....end point adjustment.....servo reversing....etc.

Ohhhhhh.....BYE THE WAY!!!! My wife just called to tell me (I'm still at work) that the 20 mule team wagon rolled into town and delivered my RC10GT Plus!

Another great addition to the stable.....with the exception of the POS radio I've been reading about!

I'll have to "sneak" out of here so I can go home and act like a little kid with a new toy.

I'll check back with you guys later and try to give a "POS Radio Review" in case anyone wants to hear reasons to not buy the PLUS rig.

Adios Amigos!
Old 01-24-2003, 11:51 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default JR

Just go with the JR R-1!!!!!!!!

:ylsuper:
Old 01-25-2003, 12:11 AM

crash_me_over

Maybe you'll get lucky and get a "Wednesday" Radio. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the Airtronics Blazer Sport. I'm gonna get the one that's $55.00, it comes with 2 servos. I don't think I can go wrong with an Airtronics radio. Good luck with your GT, you should have a blast with it. I just can't figure out why AE would include such a garbage radio with such an awesome truck.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by grampi

Who has the best prices on the XR2? I checked with Tower and I don't they sell JR radios.
Horizon Hobbies
Old 01-25-2003, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by Moonunit451
grampi,

I got the impression that you didn't want to spend much cash, and didn't mind staying with am. If you can find one, the older Hitec Lynx is a nice radio. This is the radio that came with the rc10 gt prior to them going with these POS ace jaguars. I'm looking for one too. There not all that easy to find pirate: .The current Lynx is a POS too .
I totally screwed up here. Hitec still makes the "good" Lynx. $51.99 at tower. They also make an fm version of this radio for $99.99. The POS Lynx is the Lynx sport.

So my theory on Associated ---totally bogus I guess they just cheeped out on the radio intentionally .

grampi did you get my PM?
Old 01-25-2003, 02:52 AM

Grampi,
I've pretty much always used Airtronics electronics in both my planes (two radios) and my cars (four radios). I feel comfortable with them and they all serve me well. There are other radios that are just as good (maybe better) but I feel Airtronics has a very good value as far as cost and reliability are concerned.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:57 PM

I'm learning more about radios practically every hour. Airtronic's two lowest priced pistol type, two channel radios are called the Blazer and Blazer Sport. The Sport is the most basic model, while the Blazer adds dual rate steering, adjustable throttle trigger, and throttle adjustable hi and lo end points. For me, these are useful features, so I'll probably go with the Blazer instead of the Sport. While browsing Airtronic's web site, I came across a limited edition of the Blazer I absolutely love (model #90145AM75B). Feature wise, I think it's the same as the other Blazer models, but this one is molded in a bright blue color and has a chrome steering wheel. It's a real eye catcher. I couldn't find this radio on Tower's site, but I'm waiting to hear back from them to find out if they can get it.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:34 PM

Here's my "short review" of the Ace Jaguar radio.

It's a "POS".

grampi.....I'm with you....I'm going to look at the Airtronics and Jr brands for a new one.

This is pathetic....I haven't even tried my Ace radio (it's raining) but just holding it....looking at it....it should have the TYCO name on it! Your correct when you said....POS radio! May as well tie a string onto the GT and use it for a controller.....like a control line airplane! Not good at all!

grampi.....I don't think it matters what day they made these radios on.....they should all be recycled!
Old 01-25-2003, 08:22 PM

Just wait until the knobs start falling off, and you start having intermittent periods where the radio doesn't respond at all. Lovely radio. I emailed AE to urge them to find another radio system to include in their RTR kit, and I've also emailed Ace to tell them what a POS it is. It would probably be a good idea for everyone who has this radio to do the same. I'll post a message if I hear from either place.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:23 PM

I ordered an Airtronics "Blue" Blazer radio today. It has the same features as the regular Blazer, it's just molded in a bright blue color. I was told this radio is no longer in production, and I liked the looks, so I ordered it. It was the same price as the regular Blazer as well. I guess I can box up the Ace radio and send it in for warranty work now.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:31 PM

Hey u guys really dont like the Jaguar radio i read all of these post and i see you dont like it ? i havent had any trouble at all with it?? mabey i got the only good one out the bunch

}{unter
Old 01-27-2003, 11:43 PM

Wanna trade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.