Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Charger speed question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger speed question?

Will some chargers charge Nimh batteries faster than others at the same amps? or do better quality batteries charge faster than cheap ones?

I have a Duratrax digital peak charger and Epic 3000 nimh batteries and they charge for about 65 minutes at 3 amps.
My brother in law has a Brain 959 charger and venom 3000 nimh batteries and they charge for about 35 minutes at 3 amps.

Can anybody explain the difference in speed to me?

Is his charger better or his batteries?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:45 PM

Default RE: Charger speed question?

depends on a couple of things. the amount of resistance the wires are creating, I think the internal resistance of the cells effects things too. I'm betting it has more of something to do with how much of a charge is still in the cells. do you discharge yours before you charge them?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:31 AM
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The digital piranha will have 95% of the displayed rate on screen. About 2.85 effective amps.

The 959 displays only the set-point so the actual rate will vary and if doing only 6 cells should be 3 amps or more.

Your figure for the digital pir seems perfect at 65 minutes to deliver 3000 mah. The 959 should've only delivered less than 2000 ma in 35 minutes.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 AM

Not only that, but some chargers like the ICE can charge in steps, really decreasing the amount of time it takes to charge a pack.