Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

For what ever it is worth.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For what ever it is worth.

For what ever it is worth!

I remember leaving work at midnight, (worked 4-12, after school, at a gas station) only to find the lights did not work on my old Merc. The generator was not charging, due to the brushes being worn down. There was no place to get brushes at that time of night, so the brushes were shimmed with a match pack back. Then there was the time, the old Merc stopped running, on a lonely country road. It was a very cold winter night and there was no spark at the points and my hands got so cold I was not able to sand and reset them. That night was spent in the back seat of a 1949 Mercury convertible, under an old Army blanket, with my main squeeze. When the sun came out the next morning, I was able to clean and set the gap on the points, go home and face the music. She and I both missed school the next day. Shortly after, I was ruffed-up, by her father and brothers. In retrospect, they did no harm, but shore did scare the crap out of me. I withheld the happenings from my family, at least I thought I did, but my ol’man knew. In fact to this day, I believe he had a part in it. Was probably the most pleasure I had ever given him, in his lifetime, for months, he could not look at me and had to turn away, perhaps, I think, to keep from laughing out loud. Would I do it again, you ask? In a Heartbeat, I reply! I can still recall in my mind, the beautiful, unique sound of the pipes on that flathead V8, there is no other sound to match it. Not the fastest, by far, or the most attractive, but will always be special to me. How far off the thunder, I sit and wonder.

I heard it said, that the Devil often comes disguised as a beautiful woman, it is I think appropriate, to apply this adage to cars as well. Few, if any of us will ever own the fastest car, be the best mechanic or driver. The trick is to know what you like and stick with it. We are not perfect (excluding all my X-wives) and cars, in general are far from perfect. Build your car, have a problem, take it apart, put it back together and think during the process. The knowledge and satisfaction that you will gain, is priceless. Some of our most memorable moments will come at the most unusual times and under adverse circumstances. Forty-some years later, I truly miss that flathead, lost in History, by bigger and better. Bigger and better turned out to be more expensive, with less adventure, knowledge and fun. Fun, like pretty women and money, ya just can’t have enough of.

Flathead V8’s, Rock an’ Roll Music and RC Nitro Kits Forever, Best regards, Goshay
Old 02-26-2003, 05:45 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Thats a COOL story dude!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58630_17532.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	36253  
Old 02-26-2003, 08:50 PM

Thank you, I hope you enjoyed reading it, almost as much as I enjoy remembering it.

Best regards, Goshay
Old 02-26-2003, 09:05 PM

Funny while reading it, I pictured all the adventures I had at 16 in a 1974 Datsun truck I bought for 350.00 from my older brothers friend. It was a real pile of trash, but I washed it, and took care of it better than some cars I had later in life that actually were pretty nice. I blew the motor in it after only having it for a month, but my stepfather knew a guy with a used block inside his garage that would fit in it. Me and a friend swaped the engines out and made it run, but not before using the rafters in my buddys garage to hoist the old engine out, and my friends father came running out to the garage screaming " it sound like the house is falling down!". We hadnt used but one rafter with no bracing, and a come along to pull the engine, and practically brought the garage rafters to the floor with the little bit of weight in the little 4 banger. Looking back now we were two really ambitious 16 year olds, who actually did a engine swap that ran and worked. But not before almost bringging the garage to the floor! hahahha!!! Thinking back now it is one of my most memorable memories with cars. I am 30 now, and have been lucky enough to own a $40,000.00 Mitsubishi twin turbo VR4 6 speed, but I dont have half the fond memories of that VR4 as I did that pile of junk Datsun. All I remember about the VR4 was the 750.00 a month it costed to drive and insure, and the time I drove it 170MPH down I-70 outside Denver, Colorado for a whole tank of gas. It went through that tank of gas in 150 miles, it normally takes 300 miles to empty the 20 gallon tank! Luckily I didnt kill myself or anyone else! here is a picture of that car actually....

Name:	58627_17532.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	36254  
Old 02-26-2003, 09:25 PM

Then here is the GTI that a old man pulled out in front of me while I was going down the highway at 70MPH. I ended up in the Hospital with not just 1 but TWO SPINAL FUSIONS because of his actions. That star on the windshield is from my FACE.

Name:	58631_17532.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	36255  
Old 02-26-2003, 09:49 PM

If you use to want to see a commotion, you should have seen the man that I use to be. Trouble in perpetual motion, trouble with a capitol T, but now I am a wiser man.
(Jim Croce)
I have been in similar situations, some I choose to remember, others I don't. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards, Goshay