Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI Rally Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Rally Chassis

Hi ya fellas, does anyone out there know any decent hobby shops that sells the rally chassis's? Been triyng for ages to get hold of them but to no avail.Your answers would be most appreciated
Regards
James.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI Rally Chassis

Hi Voo2doo,

Did you happen to e-mail me about this a few days ago? I'm a little backlogged with e-mail.

Last year I had placed an order for 20 of each piece (upper and lower decks) to be custom fabricated, using the last 2 originals I could find as templates, from a local manufacturer for a pretty steep price ($800). Shortly after getting the parts back (after a few production delays) we moved out of our apartment and everything went into storage. Eventually we moved into a house and all the boxes went from storage into the garage/attic. Just this past month I finally found and unpacked my RC stuff, including these chassis. I test fit one of the upper decks and its a perfect match. Haven't had a chance to mount the lower deck yet but using the original as an overlay it appears to be identical as well. I'll get some pics of the decks mounted and unmounted for you to check out.

The only difference over the factory ones is that these are made from a slightly less rigid material in the hopes that they will flex during hard impacts instead of snapping like HPI's tend to do. This doesn't appear to adversely affect handling of the car at all but remember this is a Rally car anyway, not a precision Road car so some 'slop' is inherently acceptable in the vehicle if you are off-roading.

As far as I know there were ~3-4 people interested in these so if you could all drop me a line here or to [email protected] I'll be able to answer any questions you might have. I mis-quoted the original prices, it should be $25 for the lowers and $15 for the uppers. The initial run is a little expensive because I had to pay for the CAD labor to get the parts into their system but the machine shop now has the drawings stored and once these 40 sell out I can re-order batches of 20+ at any time for less money each.

Drop me a line and let me know if anyone is interested or has any questions.

-Mike