Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Rc10 Gt Factory Team, What Engine's Fit ? >

Rc10 Gt Factory Team, What Engine's Fit ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rc10 Gt Factory Team, What Engine's Fit ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc10 Gt Factory Team, What Engine's Fit ?

Hello all you R.C. fans! The main reason I registered to this forum was because I'm going to buy a nitro stadium truck within a week or so. I want to get the Associated RC10 GT factory team kit, but Iwas wondering what engine options I have for that KIT?
Is there any way I can install the new Traxxas 2.5 engine into
the RC10 GT factory team kit????
Can somebody please give me some info on this or at least let me know what Other engine options I have beside the associated engines????
Thank YOU
richdog_6_13
Old 04-11-2003, 04:56 AM

I am actually curious if that engine will fit as well. For some reason I am leaning towards it will not bolt right in.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:13 AM

To my knowledge, only the .12 and .15 engines will bolt-in.

There is a .21 conversion kit available from New Era Hobbies, but you had better be prepared to spend a wad of cash and have one wierd-looking truck.

To be honest, a good .15 will run rediculous speeds in a GT. Take Grampi, for example, he has an '03 Fantom .15 and he is on his way to breaking 50mph in an RC10GT. And the Fantoms are a HELL of a lot cheaper than most engines of that performance level.

If yer new to this, let me tell you that when someone says "yeah, did you see that thing go? thats easily 40 mph" you are really looking at a car doing 20mph. 2-speed onroad and touring cars generally can hit 50mph or so, but you need a couple hundred yards of open space to do it, and 50 in a single speed truck is MUCH faster than you think. It looks more like 100mph, if you judge the speed by how fast it "looks like its going"
Old 04-11-2003, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a Factory Team and a Nitro Rustler originally equipped with a Traxxas Pro 15 engine. I use OS engines in both with no modifications so I can't see why a Traxxas TRX 2.5 (2.5cc's = .15ci) would not fit in a Factory Team. It would make a very fast GT.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:57 AM

I'd go for a fantom, OS, or an HPI if your cheap, the 2.5 is powerful but im not really sure its a good choice for non Traxxas cars.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:12 PM

The 2.5 should bolt right in....
Old 04-11-2003, 07:00 PM

The traxxas motor will fit with some minor work... if you plan on using the pull start version you will run into some exhaust problems because traxxas pull starts hang down farther than any others that I have seen, they are also thicker. Associated headers will not work with the 2.5 because of a different port size and traxxas doesn't make a header that will run even close to the right spot for a GT. A 2.5 with an easy start will require the gas tank to be moved foward as well as the steering servo to fit the starter in... I wouldn't reccomend this at all. With the 2.5 you will have to build some kind of guard for the back end of the motor because it hangs over so far compared to others. Any other questions let me know... If you get it all done... it will make an awesome truck but Traxxas intentionally made their motors incompatible with AE trucks so it takes some rigging.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the bump start version of the TRX 2.5
Old 04-12-2003, 03:20 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by WhiskyVR-4
To my knowledge, only the .12 and .15 engines will bolt-in.

There is a .21 conversion kit available from New Era Hobbies, but you had better be prepared to spend a wad of cash and have one wierd-looking truck.

To be honest, a good .15 will run rediculous speeds in a GT. Take Grampi, for example, he has an '03 Fantom .15 and he is on his way to breaking 50mph in an RC10GT. And the Fantoms are a HELL of a lot cheaper than most engines of that performance level.

If yer new to this, let me tell you that when someone says "yeah, did you see that thing go? thats easily 40 mph" you are really looking at a car doing 20mph. 2-speed onroad and touring cars generally can hit 50mph or so, but you need a couple hundred yards of open space to do it, and 50 in a single speed truck is MUCH faster than you think. It looks more like 100mph, if you judge the speed by how fast it "looks like its going"

you dont need 200 yards to get to 50mph. 50 mph in a 2 speed touring car is a peice of cake.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:18 AM

Pretty much any small block engine will fit in the RC 10. The thing you wanna look out for for is the crank shaft. Unless you're buying an engine made specifically for the RC 10, you're probably gonna have to cut the shaft. Usually engine with pilot shafts won't work in the RC 10. The 2.5 won't fit with the easy start installed. You'd have to go with the bump start version of this engine.

One thing I can tell you for sure is if you install an engine more powerful than the Fantom .15 (I don't know of any off the top of my head), you won't be able to use all of its power. I have this engine in mine with a 17 tooth clutch bell, and a 58 tooth spur, and I think mine has surpassed the 50 mph mark. It has lost none of its acceleration, and it has so much power that it will walk into a wheelie at well over 40 mph. I think this engie has so much power that you could gear it to go even faster, but it already runs out of real estate and/or radio range very quickly. Since the two engines are very similar performance wise, I think the RC 10 would perform likewise with a 2.5.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:07 AM

The reason I'm leaning towards the Traxxas 2.5 is because I saw it advertised for around $100 bucks new! Don't you guys think that's a , buy it even if you don't need it , type of deal? Or am I exagerating, is that what all engines of this caliber go for?
Please inform me further on how to get the, Traxxas .15, 2.5cc engine installed in an Associated RC10 GT, Factory Team, stadium truck?
Well hope to hear from you guys soon.
Richdog
Old 04-12-2003, 05:16 AM

Sounds like a good deal even for just a Rolling chassis!
What are you getting for 100 bucks?!
ram
Old 04-12-2003, 05:20 AM

you can buy the new fantom for just over $100 I think. Or am I wrong?
Old 04-12-2003, 05:37 AM

Default The Traxxas .15 , 2.5cc, nitro engine.

I saw the The new Traxxas .15 engine ,that they have in there newest T-Maxx. If you've seen the new T-Maxx's run, you'll see what I mean. That little engine has some bulls !! <- You know what I mean!
Well anyways I seen that engine advertised for $109 bucks! I thought , and still think that's a great buy! And I hope It's able to fit, with not to many mods, in the Associated RC10 GT, Factory Team edition, nitro stadium truck.
If anybody know's exactly how to put the Traxxas 2.5 engine in the RC10 GT, can you please pass down your knowledge, for all of us amatuer, but very content , bunch of R.C. fans, that would like learn more about this wonderful hobby.
Thank you
richdog
Old 04-12-2003, 02:32 PM

If you can get a 2.5 for $100, that's a steal! Here's what you need to consider before getting one for an RC 10. Will the crankshaft work and/or can it be cut to work? The 2.5 is a rear exhaust engine. The RC 10 typically takes a side exhaust engine. Lastly, you need to get the bump start version of the 2.5, or you'll need to remove the EZ Start system before you can install it in the RC 10. Or you can get a Fantom .15, which is equally as wicked, and after cutting the shaft to the proper length, will drop right into the RC 10. They can be had from Stormer Hobbies for $119.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:25 PM

doesnt traxxas new 2.5 have a pilot shaft? I doubt it will work in a gt then. Grampi how easy was it to cut the crank on your engine? Did it come with a cut off nut? what kind and shape of dremel bit did you use?
Old 04-12-2003, 05:42 PM

I don't know what type of shaft the 2.5 has. You could probably write AE and ask them if it will work. They'd probably know. If it has a pilot shaft, it probably won't work.

The cutoff nut is not included with any engine that I know of. It's part number 7620, and I ordered mine from Tower. The procedure is very easy. I used a stone cutting wheel, you can also use a carbon fiber cutting wheel. The procedure is outlined in the RC 10 owner's manual. I you don't have one, it can be downloaded from AE's web site.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:54 AM

my o.s. .cv-r came with one maybe i can find it. I may not get one for my gt because the cv-r pushes it along plenty good enough write now. If i get one for my street force i dont thin ill have to cut the crank. or will I? street force is 2 speed
Old 04-13-2003, 04:35 AM

If I could put a 2 speed on my RC 10, it would probably do 100 mph!
Old 04-21-2003, 11:20 PM

If you plan to race at a track, find out if a .15 is legal. I think a phantom .12 for $99 - $109 is your best bet if the .15 is illegal for sanctioned races.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:16 AM

The fantom 15 is just as powerful as the 15cv-r if not more.At better price...and has a higher top speed thank to the high revs of fantoms.