Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

MT's vs ST's

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT's vs ST's

Now that I own a T-Maxx and an RC 10, I can make a direct comparison between the two. I can't get used to the huge difference in handling. When I finish driving the RC 10, then fire up the Maxx, I almost always roll the Maxx at least once in turn. I get used to the way the RC 10 handles (corners like it's on rails), I forget the Maxx is relatively top heavy. When I switch from the Maxx to the RC 10, I find myself needlessly slowing down for turns.

I haven't been able to compare the Maxx to any other MT because nobody I know has one. However, from everything I've read about MT's, the Maxx is amoung the fastest MT's. Granted, my Maxx is totally stock, and my RC 10 is highly modified, but my RC 10 will outaccelerate the Maxx, and it will soundly whip it in terms of top speed. If my Maxx is doing 45 mph like the mags say it will, then my RC 10 does at least 50.

I'm not saying I don't like my Maxx, I'm just saying it's different. There's something to be said for those big ***** tires, the 4WD, and all that ground clearance. It does come at a price though, that being that it handles like a bread truck.

One thing I know for sure is that if people had the chance to test drive an MT, an ST, and a buggy, their decision as to what to buy would be made much easier. I haven't driven a buggy yet, but I can tell you the differences between MT's and ST's are huge.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:16 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Default MT's vs ST's

This is very true.

They both do what they do well, but they don't work well when trying to do what the other does well. Confused yet?

The MT isn't a great track vehicle or open field vehicle for that matter. But the MT is great when you go anywhere else. When you get into rocks, branches, ruts, big jumping, etc. the MT excels. It's not that a MT can't go fast on a track because they can if they have room to open it up and if they are in the hands of a good driver, just not as fast as a ST. Wait until you get it out of the field and into some rough terrain so you can see where it really shines.

The ST on the other hand does handle like it's on rails. But it gets high sided on anything larger and 2" to 3" bumps, twigs, rocks etc. The ST can still do a lot off road, but they can't do it nearly as well as an MT.

It takes some learning to drive the MT after driving a ST. They do flip more but it's well worth the effort when you go some place other than a field or track. If you drive the TMaxx in the field a lot lower the suspension so the bottom of the shocks are on the farthest outside setting. It will help with it rolling all the time.

I like having both the Tmaxx and an RC10GT because they compliment each other so well. I can pick which ever one I feel like driving. If I don't have money to get into the track I'll take the TMaxx out to bash with. If I am going to the track I'll take the ST.

It also sounds like you are not giving your GT enough credit in the top speed department. Considering the GT is supposed to do high 30's stock and you have drastically changed the gearing and added a more powerful motor you are more than likely at the 50+ mark with it. Remember that on a grass field it's going to go slower than on the street. Find a nice big open parking lot to open it up on and you might be surprised that it's faster than you think, assuming you haven't done that yet of course :-D
Old 04-12-2003, 02:23 PM

Default MT's vs ST's

I must have missed something here. I think I was saying my GT is extremely fast. I'd say it does at least 50 running it off road. I don't know how fast it would go on the pavement, and I don't really care because I don't run it on pavement. It's so fast in fact, I think it's pointless to make it any faster because it's only "in the box" for a few seconds as it is.

I have noticed the MT soaks up the bumps, holes, and rocks much better than the GT does. We run in a large open field that's just full of this stuff, especially gopher holes. Some of them are pretty big, I guess they could be Badger holes or something. Anyway, when the GT hits one, it usually puts it into a flipping cartwheel. The Maxx will sometimes flip or cartwheel, but it usually just soaks it up and keeps going. It's just going to take some time for me to get used to the top heaviness of the Maxx.