Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

which is better? HPI MT, or Ass. GT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is better? HPI MT, or Ass. GT?

I'm looking at buying a nitro truck. I've been looking at HPI's MT and Associated's RC10GT RTR. I own a T3 right now so I know associated is good. Never had a thing break and I tear it up on huge jumps. I've been looking at the MT cause its 4wd.

My question is, which is faster and has better handling. Also which is the better engine. Associated's .15 or HPI's .15? Has anyone owned both of these and could tell me what they liked best?

Also, I'm not into Hop-ups. If anything breaks I will replace with graphite, but thats it. So I want a truck that comes pretty tough from the factory. I don't want to buy more stuff so it can withstand a jump.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:54 PM

I would have to say the rc10 could be faster and would handle better. As far as jumping and just bashing around the hpi mt looks like a solid choice. Jon
Old 05-08-2003, 08:07 PM

mt is much more drable, but more of a basher, handles better, but only because it is 4WD, the associated however is for racing (and bashing if u want), if you're going to race, associated, if not i highly recomend the MT, durable as hell, fast enough, 4WD, and factory suspension is rated better then factory associated's from my LHS, just my input.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by aznx2fine
mt is much more drable, but more of a basher, handles better, but only because it is 4WD, the associated however is for racing (and bashing if u want), if you're going to race, associated, if not i highly recomend the MT, durable as hell, fast enough, 4WD, and factory suspension is rated better then factory associated's from my LHS, just my input.
I'd have to disagree with some of your claims. There isn't an MT made that will outhandle, or even handle as well as an RC 10. I doubt it would be more durable either. My RC 10 smashed head-on into a curb after flying more than 10 feet high in the air at 40+ mph and not a single thing was broken. MT's definitely have their place in the RC world, but they won't outhandle a stadium truck. ST's are just as good for bashing as MT's as long as ground clearance isn't an issue.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:24 AM

I'd have to agree w/ grampi on this one... I know the HPI MT is pretty low to the ground (not so much of a MT as a 4x4 ST, really), but my savage handles very well for a MT and it can't come close to what my bro-in-law's RC10GT can do.

I can get around in a bigger variety of terrains with more ease but that's about it... on handling (and i read: cornering), the RC10GT is a darn tough cookie.

pb
Old 05-09-2003, 01:12 PM

IF you're planning on racing, the winner circle doesn't lie. Go with the RC10GT. It's tough (but not impossible) to find a place to race a 4WD stadium truck.

As for handling, it's tough call. By nature, the MT should out handle the RC10GT because of the 4WD. I have an HPI NMT and have driven with other 2WD trucks and when I get into turns, my MT grabs hold and pulls through with very little effort.

I'm sure alot has to do with the suspension setup. The MT as well as the RC10GT are very "tuneable" in the suspension department. One thing you can be sure of, is that you can't go wrong with either truck.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:55 PM

I plan on racing it on weekends. Our track will allow the MT's to race with the Tmaxx's and Savage's.
Or modified stadium truck class
Old 05-09-2003, 09:05 PM

Maybe I'm a purist, but he ONLY thing I would EVER sell my GT for is a 1:8 buggy. When I got into this stuff about 13 years ago, there was no GT, heck, there wasn't even a 10T. When the 10T hit the market I ran out and bought the first one I could get my hands on, and I've been addicted to Associated trucks ever since. You just can't go wrong with an RC10GT.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:57 PM

So true.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:47 PM
My Feedback: (5)

yes gts are soo freakin tough. today I had about a 3 foot ramp with a massive incline. The wramp was short and too steep for me too keep it from nose diving, even if i hit full throttle, anyways it probably got about 7 feet in the air and landed on its nose almost everytime and I never broke a part.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:01 AM

Get the GT...HPI is known for its engine problems and my friends MT sux he says and can't run it hard at all and the engine is crap and it won't run good. RC10GT is tough as hell and more fun!!!
Old 05-11-2003, 06:21 PM

GT is the way to go I have two one for racing and one for bashing around with haven't broke a single part in almost 2 years except for the ocasional wearing out of a clutch bearing or two