Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is it possible to run too rich?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to run too rich?

I have a Nitro Rustler with the TRX 2.5. I have the high idle screw out about 5 1/2 turns because I am paranoid about frying the engine from the mixture being too lean. Is it possible to run the fuel mixture too rich? What will happen if you do?

Thanks,

Mike D.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:56 PM

Yes it is...

The engine will quit when you try to change throttle settings....
Old 05-13-2003, 09:01 PM

Will it also be difficult to re-start right away? Maybe due to it being a little flooded?

Mike D.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:31 PM

flooding, bad idle and decreased glow plug life all come from running too rich.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:36 PM

Another thing is if you run it too rich (too cold), your engine components wont expand properly and you will shorten the engines life.
How?

The sleeve is supposed to expand. That happens only around 200. Before that, the engine is too tight, and it wears itself down due to friction.

Thats my take anyway
ram
Old 05-14-2003, 02:37 PM

It's very easy to run too rich.
I was like this when i first started in nitro. I thought that as long as i kept it really rich it would protect my engine. Truth is though that you need to lean it out a bit to get the performance from the engine.

Also you will find it will bog down and die when you hit the gas
Old 05-14-2003, 02:57 PM

the bluebus:

Actually. The problem I am having is that it is stalling after a couple of high speed passes and then having some difficulty restarting unless I wait a couple of minutes. Could that be from running the high end needle too rich?

Mike D.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:22 PM

I was desperately trying to adjust my Savage today. It was very humid, we got short showers during the day. It was about 70 F. I know I must have been driving it way too rich because I just leaned and leaned and ....high speed needle that is.

I donīt have a temp gun yet so I just tried that old water trick, put a drop of skin warm water on her head and it just always stayed there forever! -some 10 secs or more. No matter what I did!

I guess Iīm asking if this water thing can be done only in certain outside temp or what? My Savage is all stock, I was running OS 8 plug with 25% fuel (I donīt race, LHS just didnīt have anything with less nitro at the time).

Mike, I was having the same prob with my car today. Seems it was solved by leaning the HSN, a lot. Iīve run only a little over gallon with it and I have been reading everywhere this scary stuff like "DONT lean it too much!" and I guess I have been scared to run my car way too rich. And thats not good either!

I think I need to get the engine to run a bit hotter, which way to go; hotter or colder plug? Sorry, I know Iīm REALLY newbie..

kuvittelija