Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 How long does a typical RC engine last?? >

How long does a typical RC engine last??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How long does a typical RC engine last??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How long does a typical RC engine last??

I know there are so many factors that can effect this..

Let say... you are doing everything correctly.... Good tune..... How long does it usually last??

and one more question. what happens when the engine break?

do you guys buy a new car or a replacement engine?? or rebuild the engine??
Old 12-14-2008, 06:35 PM
My Feedback: (121)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How long does a typical RC engine last??

They last until you crash and break them.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 PM

Probably teh absolute longest a high quality engine with poper care and a good break-in will last is maybe 20 gallons.

I personally have hit more than12 gallons on several chinese engines I have, but with better care and if I had a better quality engine with better quality piton and sleeve materials, I bet it would have lasted me well more than 15 gallons.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Probably teh absolute longest a high quality engine with poper care and a good break-in will last is maybe 20 gallons.

I personally have hit more than12 gallons on several chinese engines I have, but with better care and if I had a better quality engine with better quality piton and sleeve materials, I bet it would have lasted me well more than 15 gallons.
Chinese Engines?? Are they cheaper?? where do you get them?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:38 PM
My Feedback: (8)

not true at all. It depends on what percent nitro your running. How its tuned for example an engine on the richer side will last longer. It also depends how it is driven. all speed runs=quick death runnning on dirt not full throttle to much=longer life. also you have to maintian them. there are many factors but usually 7-20gallons of nitro depending.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:39 PM
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: rino

They last until you crash and break them.
my post above was to this comment
Old 12-14-2008, 06:56 PM

Usually a giood enigne will last around 10 gallons before you need a new p/s. Then when you need a new p/s again you should get a new con rod. You can use the same engine for 100 gallons if you do this (and you might need a new crank)
Old 12-14-2008, 06:57 PM

Yeah, I would say my experience is in the 10 gallon range. Sometimes more. Eventually the compression just starts going and it's time for a new sleeve/piston. Honestly I have never had a catastrophic failure of any kind, just gradual wear. If that air filter falls off though, I would put the life at single digit minutes before a new piston/sleeve is in order. Keep it clean

Spiro
Old 12-14-2008, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: samguan

Chinese Engines?? Are they cheaper?? where do you get them?
Most engines are chinese, especially the RTR ones. You can look t the name brand RTR RCs and those engiens all come from Taiwan. And the largest aftermarket engine maker is called Golden Lion (SH engines). SH Engiens make many well known engines: LRP, XTM, Sprtswerks, Dynamite, Mach, and many many more reseller names.

If teh engine name is not Rossi (inlcuding GRP, Axe Rossi, Sirio, NovaRossi), RB, OS, Picco, Cox, Saito, you can expect teh engine to be chinese.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Usually a giood enigne will last around 10 gallons before you need a new p/s. Then when you need a new p/s again you should get a new con rod. You can use the same engine for 100 gallons if you do this (and you might need a new crank)
where you put engine it should be crank case....that's the only thing left to replace after you've replaced the psiton, sleeve, crank, and con-rod. and even then you wouldn't need a whole new engine. Just buy a new crank case and put all the still good components from your worn-out cvrank case into your new crank case...

basicly, if you're a cheap skate, or just don't have much money to spend, you never HAVE to get a new engine...you could have bought a car 30 years ago, have 50 gallons on it, and still have parts of the engine that was in it when you bought in the engine thats in it today...