Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 y is my clutch bell so hot its changing colors???? >

y is my clutch bell so hot its changing colors????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

y is my clutch bell so hot its changing colors????

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y is my clutch bell so hot its changing colors????

i have the redcat landslide 1/8...about a week ago i had to remove the clutch bell to tighten up the flywheel..after i put everything back together i noticed the color of the bell was changing, it looked liked heat was causing it....but the truck ran fine...did i fail in put everything back together properly???
Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: y is my clutch bell so hot its changing colors????

it's normal... Have you tried to touch the clutch bell after running the truck for a while?? they are boiling hot.. it's metal to metal gear contact... you should expect heat! I have the same situation as you.. it looked like it has been baked in oven, however, I think it is completely normal...

just to be on the safe side, check your gear mesh and make sure they are correct... Too tight and too loose sometimes can cause extra heat..
Old 01-11-2009, 05:06 PM

what color is it? It may be burning off the paint if it's painted. It's an HSP so expect stuff like that to happen.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:20 PM

I had this and it was beacause i had grease on my clutch shoes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:38 PM

if your clutch is slipping its going to build more heat than normal . i would pull it off and inspect your clutch shoes. maybe even take some emory cloth the clutch bell and shoes to remove any glazing on the clutch bell and shoes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 PM

Yep, slipping clutch shoes could certainly cause the problem. Running in conditions that make the clutch slip - like tall grass can make even good shoes slip. Of course the CB will get hot while running and I wouldn't want to touch it but I don't think it shoul be hot enough to change color everytime you run it.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:32 PM

the color has honestly stayed this dark purple color..i also thought it would go back to normal color but it didnt...but as long as im not causing any damage i fine with it
Old 01-11-2009, 08:41 PM

It will not go back to the original color, ever. The CB has heated so much that it has undergone changes in the molecular level. Purple? It should not turn purple from heating, it should turn blue or bluish. This is a sign that HSP has messed up in their choice of metal. Ask any other HSP user (whether Himoto or Exceed) and they will tell you to dump the sorry stock HSP CB and get a decent aftermarket one.

If I remember correctly, I think a CB from an HPI Savage will fit your HSP-RedCat. Though HPI's CB is made of the less than standard taiwan steel, that taiwan steel is still better quality than HSP's pot-metal CB.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: cadillac98

the color has honestly stayed this dark purple color..i also thought it would go back to normal color but it didnt...but as long as im not causing any damage i fine with it
I didn't say you were not causing damage. Overheating the CB to that point weakens the metal and will cause the clutch shoes to wear much more rapidly. You may also be wearing a grove on the inside of the CB where the shoes are rubbing. So, yeah, damage is cretainly possible and maybe even likely.