Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

2.4ghz vs. FM Made Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4ghz vs. FM Made Cheap!

Ok i thought i would make this thread to help a lotta people out when thinking about upgrading from am, when on a budget its hard to afford 2.4, so fm is a good choice but can still cost hand over foot, well i thought i would share 2 radios i have come across that are in the same price range and there both from known brands.

The First is a Fm, made from Venom and can be found here.
Venom VR3T 3-Ch FM Radio System - 27mhz 49.99
http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VEN-8178

The next is real new and is going to open up a whole new world for us, for the people who say 2.4 can't be had for cheap is mistaken thanks to towers new 2.4 system.

Tower Hobbies 224 2-Channel 2.4GHz Tx/Rx Only 79.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWPW0&P=7

And they can do one better two
Tower Hobbies System 2.4 2-Channel 2.4GHz Receiver Only 16.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXLR4&P=7

Now i did some hunting on the new tower system, tower, durtrax, futaba, hobbico, etc is all apart of great planes, so from my knowledge this is a re bagged futaba fast without all the uber features meant for the avg bashers on a budget, this is gonna be for the guy who wants a good radio and not a 100 bells and whistles to go along with it, just simple straight forward radio that does what its meant to do and nothing more.

I think were in a new era where its safe to say, $$$$ does not always mean the best, even more so on a budget.

So i hope this thread helps and general discussion can take place.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2.4ghz vs. FM Made Cheap!

We'll have to wait and see how it performs.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 AM

They are very basic radios though. They don't even seem to have EPA on them.

Though, can the Tower 2.4 receiver be used with any other 2.4 system or not?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tower 2.4ghz radio is a rebadged Tatic Radio....they still sell both on tower and they are the same radio.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 AM

the venom does have epa, the tower not to sure, i know of a radio thats bare bones with sliders for epa so...
Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

The tower 2.4ghz radio is a rebadged Tatic Radio....they still sell both on tower and they are the same radio.
yes duratrax uses tatic, another branch from GP, hence comes out with a new brand name, sell them cheap as gutted futaba gear.

tower servo's are hobbico, wheres hobbico come from, GP who is the Name Brand servo comp from GP Futaba...

There smartech in the simplest terms, sell there 5th scale 500 ebay and most stores, comps like xtm, and durtrax put there name on them and your buying the name when there the same exact thing...

Eather way this is gonna help a lotta people who can't afford spectrum or fast etc.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM

Yup...Im getting one....
Old 05-15-2009, 05:12 PM

No matter if you are a racer or basher, everyone needs a good radio. A good radio will expand to whatever you want to do. I would NEVER buy the Tower radio, mainly because when you get a new car, or even on your current one if the epa isnt set correctly you will have severe understeer or your servo will move too much and you will burn though them. Also you need a radio that has subtrim, dual rate, and expo is also very nice to have. If you get one of the cheaper one, I assure you you will upgrade to a better one, thus costing more money when you could of just got a great radio from the start. Look at the Airtronics radio, its $130. Also the dx2.0 or 3.0, 3.0 has expo.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:18 PM

well chris, it could be a cheaper with epa, god if i could only remember what am radio had it, its twist dials one of them was for epa.So there could be a trim and epa twists, don't know till more info is given or we do a test, and this is again for the basher, i do understand you get what you pay for but still.EPA is not everything, yes alot of RTR's not come with Dig radio gear but a lot still don't so it would not be an issue, really were spoiled now with EPA, look how long the hobby went on just fine before we had digital radios that have all the wonderful features thay have today.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:26 PM

LOL, Spoiled with EPA? EPA is a very basic feature, right behind trim. Remember, if you cahnge your trim your EPA also changes, that is why subtrim is good. There are just alot of other advantages of digital radios. You cna monitor your radio voltage, and set trim and epa so you are not just guessing using a dial. I used the JR XR2i for a while, and it is great, better than the tower radio even though it is AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:26 PM

ok, found the manual for the tatic/tower

http://manuals.hobbico.com/tac/tacj0245-manual.pdf

no epa, but it can use dig servo's where epa is most needed, it can help standered but meh, eahter way they must have done something, a possiable auto stop so it does not keep the servo working, hence how epa works, knows how far is to far.

I don't even use epa, i should but never had a issue with servo's going bad in all my years of this hobby.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC LOL, Spoiled with EPA? EPA is a very basic feature, right behind trim. Remember, if you cahnge your trim your EPA also changes, that is why subtrim is good. There are just alot of other advantages of digital radios. You cna monitor your radio voltage, and set trim and epa so you are not just guessing using a dial. I used the JR XR2i for a while, and it is great, better than the tower radio even though it is AM.
Again apples and oranges almost, your comparing a digatal to a non, also your bashing a radio that has not even come out yet.

This is for the entry lvl people who can't or won't spend that kinda cash or a radio, this is there best option for entering the 2.4 world.

This is the answer to rtr secne, no more junk am radio's that are a hit or miss, gets everyone into 2.4 at an afoadable range, and can upgrade to a better system down the road.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:25 AM

I agree ^
Old 05-16-2009, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC LOL, Spoiled with EPA? EPA is a very basic feature, right behind trim. Remember, if you cahnge your trim your EPA also changes, that is why subtrim is good. There are just alot of other advantages of digital radios. You cna monitor your radio voltage, and set trim and epa so you are not just guessing using a dial. I used the JR XR2i for a while, and it is great, better than the tower radio even though it is AM.
Again apples and oranges almost, your comparing a digatal to a non, also your bashing a radio that has not even come out yet.

This is for the entry lvl people who can't or won't spend that kinda cash or a radio, this is there best option for entering the 2.4 world.

This is the answer to rtr secne, no more junk am radio's that are a hit or miss, gets everyone into 2.4 at an afoadable range, and can upgrade to a better system down the road.
So you are bascially paying $70 for a Traxxas version of a 2.4ghz radio right? I really do not know what the fuss is all about, all you have to do isbuy the JRXS3 for $120 andyou dont need anycrystals. cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JR-RACING-FM75-XS3-Synthesized-Radio-System-LZFM_W0QQitemZ250412145209QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio _Control_Parts_AccessoriesLook at that. Total comes up to around $120, a little bit more than the Tower radio, but look at all the features, and best thing is, no crystals!!! Also comes with a servo, switch and battery holder unlike the Tower.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:44 AM

A little more?...Thats close to double the cost.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

So you are bascially paying $70 for a Traxxas version of a 2.4ghz radio right? I really do not know what the fuss is all about, all you have to do isbuy the JRXS3 for $120 andyou dont need anycrystals. cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JR-RACING-FM75-XS3-Synthesized-Radio-System-LZFM_W0QQitemZ250412145209QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio _Control_Parts_AccessoriesLook at that. Total comes up to around $120, a little bit more than the Tower radio, but look at all the features, and best thing is, no crystals!!! Also comes with a servo, switch and battery holder unlike the Tower.
the JR radio may have access to all channels without changing crystals, butwhen little timmy switches on the same channel you are already driving on, you are going to lose control just the same.... These cheap 2.4 systems aren't about being "better" than FM at everything. They are about peace of mind. Knowing that little timmy, try as he might, isn't going to send your 13 pound monster truck hurtling towards a car or person... At least for me, that's why I ONLY use 2.4Ghz anymore for my planes and cars. ....
Old 05-16-2009, 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: dacaur

the JR radio may have access to all channels without changing crystals, butwhen little timmy switches on the same channel you are already driving on, you are going to lose control just the same.... These cheap 2.4 systems aren't about being "better" than FM at everything. They are about peace of mind. Knowing that little timmy, try as he might, isn't going to send your 13 pound monster truck hurtling towards a car or person... At least for me, that's why I ONLY use 2.4Ghz anymore for my planes and cars. ....
You have to remember, there are not toys. And if "little timmy" switches on the same channel as you without even asking, then "little timmy" does not even deserve to be in this hobby.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:37 PM

You have to remember, there are not toys. And if "little timmy" switches on the same channel as you without even asking, then "little timmy" does not even deserve to be in this hobby.
The attitude that just because you have been in RC for a long time, that means you get to choose who "deserves" to be in the hobby is pretty messed up. You are making the assumption that little timmy knows he is doing something wrong.No, it just means that "little timmy" hasent been properly educated as to transmitter etiquette.Idon't recall seeing any RTR manuals mention that you needto ask other people what channel they are on before you turn yours on. "Little timmy" is nothing more than the proverbial "newbie", who just gothit first "real" rc car for his birthday, and just doesn't know any better. But not knowing any better, or even if its just someone being a jerk, isn't going to uncrash your truck.... When driving your 1:1 car, you need to drive defensively, because not everyone is a great driver.. choosing 2.4Ghz is just transmitting defensively.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:26 PM

RC4WD sells a 2.4Ghz 3ch computerized radio with receiver for $79.99, and additional receivers are $29.99. I recently took a chance and ordered one and I have to say so far I love it. It has 15 model memory, EPA, EXP, dual rates, ABS. and seems to work every bit as well as my DX3.0. In my opinion it's a much better option than the Tactic/Tower radio. 
Old 05-16-2009, 10:08 PM

The attitude that just because you have been in RC for a long time, that means you get to choose who "deserves" to be in the hobby is pretty messed up. You are making the assumption that little timmy knows he is doing something wrong.No, it just means that "little timmy" hasent been properly educated as to transmitter etiquette.Idon't recall seeing any RTR manuals mention that you needto ask other people what channel they are on before you turn yours on. "Little timmy" is nothing more than the proverbial "newbie", who just gothit first "real" rc car for his birthday, and just doesn't know any better. But not knowing any better, or even if its just someone being a jerk, isn't going to uncrash your truck.... When driving your 1:1 car, you need to drive defensively, because not everyone is a great driver.. choosing 2.4Ghz is just transmitting defensively.
I think you took my post a little too harsh. I didnt mean toput any "attitude" in that post.You have to remember, if a kid gets a RC for his birthday without even asking, chances are he will know nothing about maintaining/operating one. it is not like a game system, where parents can buy their child a Xbox 360 for their birthday, then the kid plugs it in and plays it. And it does say in the manual, that kids need to have an adult supervising the child and you need to have some mechinal experience.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:03 AM

As for these cheap radios, unfortunately, I cannot really see them more than just glorified RTR radios with 2.4GHz added onto them. And we all know just how crappy RTR radios are.

If anything, I would be impressed if RC companies simply quit selling RTRs with FM radios and started selling them with 2.4GHz RTR raios. Traxxas and Losi are starting to do that now. And if these guys can resell these megacheap gloridied RTR radios in 2.4GHz form, there really is n excuse for everyone else to do the same. That way, FM can be scrapped altogether and more people beginning with 2.4GHz form the strt will make 2.4GHz the industry standard.

Now, I do have some trepidation with these megacheap radios. My first foray into 2.4GHz was Spektrum, well, because it was cheaper than Futaba's 2.4GHz. But the Spektrum modules I have were shoddily made and there were a big problems that I didnt know were problems until I started using a quality 2.4GHz module (the Futaba one in my case). The improvement of Futaba over Spektrum is like night and day differenece.

Now, since these megacheap radios are much much cheaper than even Spektrum, I cannot help but ask the question if these radio sets will perform i line with 2.4GHz sets from Futaba, JR, Airtronics, etc. I unfortunately think that these will be only RTR quality radios transmitting on 2.4GHz.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:12 AM

Given the options already out there for 2.4ghz systems, the proven quality of many models - I don't see any reason to get a cheap model. People always forget how important a high quality radio is.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 AM

ORIGINAL: robwiljas

RC4WD sells a 2.4Ghz 3ch computerized radio with receiver for $79.99, and additional receivers are $29.99. I recently took a chance and ordered one and I have to say so far I love it. It has 15 model memory, EPA, EXP, dual rates,ABS. and seems to work every bit as well as my DX3.0. In my opinion it's a much better option than the Tactic/Tower radio.
nice, i didnt know about that... i was planning to get the one from tower for my daughter, but will definatly give that one a look now.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Given the options already out there for 2.4ghz systems, the proven quality of many models - I don't see any reason to get a cheap model. People always forget how important a high quality radio is.
This is true sheo, but as dacaur pointed out, when you get your rc and take it out, you don't know if anyone else is out with there's or has the same freq? just last week i found out someone had rc not even a block a way and i was on my old am, i had weird radio issue and found out me and him were on the same freq.

Also i live next to a airport, the issues i get are well...

This is gonna help set the new standard and prevent alot of issues, i did not know there was another dig 2.4 out there, but either way we all gotta start some where, and is it not better to start with piece of mind that you aren't gonna has freq issue, even more so with new guys into this hobby who don't know nothing about the freq.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:39 PM

That's true, I didn't consider that issue. At least it would alleviate the frequency overlap issues. <br type="_moz"/>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.