Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 Anyone looking forward to the Nitro Monster King? >

Anyone looking forward to the Nitro Monster King?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Anyone looking forward to the Nitro Monster King?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone looking forward to the Nitro Monster King?

It's nothing particularly amazing, mostly assembled from various other chassis' parts, but it looks fun. I for one would love a nitro solid axle monster truck for terrorizing the neighborhood . The 4 wheel independent suspension trucks are nice, but old school solid axles are fun too.

Price on Towerhobbies is $309, but it's yet to ship so it may change.

Stock photo from HPI

Old 07-04-2009, 08:42 AM
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone looking forward to the Nitro Monster King?

I love the front tires (for thier weight) [X(]
Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks really nice. But how would that solid axle handle? It actually looks like it would make one hell of a rock crawler with that suspension.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally am stoked to see it hit the shelves, and I know I probably will be one of the first folks to snap one up.

It definitel;y has the looks of a crawler, but I am not sure if it is meant to be a dedicated crawler.
I have never done any kind of crawling with nitros before, well, full-blown dedicated crawling, not the semi-crawling one would do with an MT while bashing on the rough. I am actually interested in seeing how it will work out on the rocks.

If crawling is not it's intent, I know I will rip out the cheap-o Taiwan RTR engine and convert it for a big block and see hop it will bash for it's size!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna snap one up too, reminds me of the Kyosho Madforce.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:35 PM

Looks cool I dont know if I would buy it though
Old 07-04-2009, 01:46 PM

It depends on what you want I guess. Some want a full-blown MT (which there is the Savage and several more other brands) and some wnat a full-blown dedicated crawler (electrics being the king, such as Axials, etc.)

This is more of a niche truck, and for now, it is more geared to novelty side. I dont know, but in crawling, they might break it into classes such as semi-crawler (like this one) electric and nitro sub-classes, full blown crawling, electric and maybe an open electric or nitro whatever crawler.
I have absolutely no clue if that is what HPI is trying to push, much how Losi was kind of hinting to create a muggy class when they made the Muggy. But much how the Losi Muggy didnt create a new class since it was simply lumped into Truggy class in virtually every case, crawling might simply lump this into crawling altogether and not mess with classes.

Or, maybe it is meant to be simply a smaller scale light bashing vehicle with no competition in mind at all.

Whetever it is, I am still interested in getting one. I am torn because I do not want the cheap RTR engine nor the electronics. I want a straight-up roller built-it-yourself kit since I will but a big block for it anyway and I already have a race-grade radio and higher end servos sitting around to drop in.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:09 PM

Looks nifty. I'm a big fan of solid axle monsters as well.. Looks a lot more "scale" than the independent suspension trucks do. Plus I have a place in my heart for them due to the Clodbuster I had years ago. Had a ton of fun with it.

I also really liked the Wheely King I had, but sold it to a friend who wanted to get into the hobby.

Speaking of which, I'd wager this truck will handle like the stock WK.. Which is "Handling? Whats handling?!?" But, as others might say- handling and winning races isn't what these kinds of trucks are all about. They're about some good old fashioned back yard fun.

If I wasn't going to convert my Savage over to brushless I'd pick one of these up. Can't afford to do both.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Xtm had a nitro scale looking monster truck i think it was there first mainstream model to catch the attention of the rc press, Then the mad force came along.A wheely popping model which took the lime light away from the xtm as the aftermarket gurus tuck to it, maybe it was the simpler engineering that kyosho employed and it was fast and fun.scale nitros are fun and capture new blood.It is important to make rc fun for newbies first and if they want to get more serious give them gentle pushes in the right direction with the right advise.Hpi seem to be rather good at this of late,going abit neiche to atracted as many people to the hobby as posible.(they are a buissness so they need to attract costum to make money too but thats not my point.) keep it up hpi.