Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro Engine transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Engine transmission

I have a idea to share with you guys. Let's say the RC car engine is 20000 rpm, but when it moves it rpm will be only 5000 rpm.

So, do you guys ever think there is a device that can increase the moving rpm to maybe around 15000rpm?We call this device Nitro Engine

Transmission. If you are interested in this, can you share your idea with me?
Old 09-15-2009, 01:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Engine transmission

Well, that's what gear ratios are for... Not sure I understand your question. That's what any cars transmission does, it lowers the RPM into a more usable torque effective range.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:48 AM

Thank you for your response. I do know what ratio gear is. What i am trying to is if we put an RC Nitro Engine trasmission near engine.

That is, the moving RPM can be increased. For instance, now we only have 5000rpm, with the divice, maybe we can add it up to 15000rpm or

more, I am wondering if this product can be accepted by the RC racers. Of course, there will be a technical problme for it.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well what are you trying to achieve by increasing the output speed? Sure, you can setup a transmission that gears it up, but you'd have little useful power left. Like with all internal combustion engines in land based vehicles, you need to gear it down in order to get a useful output.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:07 AM

the revo, tmaxx, savage, and many other vehicles already have 2 or 3 speed transmissions. if you put too much load on the engine, it will stall it out or have very little torque.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 AM

What exactly are you trying to do?
Are you trying to bolt the transmission directly to the engine? If so you will have to come up with a system to couple and uncouple the engine from the transmission similar to a clutch or torque converter in a 1:1 vehicle. In most nitro rcs out now that is done by the clutch bell, which is external for easy access and repair.
Are you trying to get the drive wheels to spin at higher speeds or the transmission output shaft to spin faster? 1:1 vehicles use overdrive gearing to get the transmission output shaft to spin a the same rpm (or greater rpm) as the engine. This can result higher top end speed but that speed is very difficult to maintain because as soon as you gear the transmission up torque falls through the floor.
Much of the gearing has already been done to the current nitro rcs and the current system is one that works well. This is evidenced by the fact that most rc makers use very similar systems. However, if you come up with a new system then I'm sure people will be glad to try it out.