Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 Looking to start racing, need some advice >

Looking to start racing, need some advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking to start racing, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to start racing, need some advice

Hey all. I've been a parking lot basher for a number of years and I have a few on road cars. I would like to get into buggies to race on dirt tracks. I'm pretty tapped out at the moment but I hope to make a purchase this month. I need some espertise on whick buggy would be best for racing that won't break the bank. I like 1/8 scale but I have 1/10th as well so either should be fine. I have access to an indoor dirt track so electric only, unless someone here can show a good reason otherwise. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:53 PM

Default RE: Looking to start racing, need some advice

Well the 1/8 electric buggies are pretty spendy even the rtr. i think the cheapest kit you can get is the ofna LX-1E for $190 but you still got to buy all the electronics an they add up fast.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Off-Road-Buggy

or for ready to run theres the Kyosho Inferno VE for $450 but you still need batteries an charger.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Road-Buggy-RTR

So really the only selling point on nitro 1/8 is that you can get them rtr for $270 an all you need is fuel an some AAs.

but with 1/10 mainly 2wd you want the AE B4 or the Losi XXX, and 4wd you want the AE B44 but only the AE B4 comes rtr
Old 01-03-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Start by finding out what classes of race are run at your local indoor dirt track. Then, find a spec. class that is obviously limited to keep the price down. It may be 2WD buggies with min. 27T motors or a spec. Slash class, etc. It really depends on that.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 AM

^^ you beat me. I'm gonna call the track tomorrow and find out.

I have 2 7-cell stick packs and a 3c lipo so yeah I guess electric would be the best bet. I figured even if it comes with a radio I want to put the Spektrum into it anyway, $99 on their website. I have a traxxas 4-tec nitro & electric version, Power racing XR80, Losi Mini-T and Micro-T. I'm familiar with nitro and electric but never raced anything and I want something I can hop-up drastically (over time) to make a seriously competitive rc. So really I guess my question should have been what is a decent chassis to start building up? Something that has lots of aluminum parts readily available, a strong diff and excellent handling and steering. Whats better for a medium sized dirt track, 2 wheel drive or 4? Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 AM

I believe for racing, I would check into the Associated stuff, like their Corr trucks, which is a big class.

I have a Slash and you can hop them up a lot, but is more for bashing. Seems the Associated is geared more for racing.

The HPi Blitz is another up coming truck that people love. Is another Corr truck(Stadium truck)

Slash is nice as they have a ton of spec/stock classes, which is all those other trucks I mentioned, just can't modify them, but those stock classes are nice for just starting out. Could get the feel for racing a little better and usually comes down to who is the better driver.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 PM
My Feedback: (2)

for electric class most likely ya will need either 6 cell nimh or 7.4v 2s lipo's .... but definately check into what class are runnin at your local track, check up on the rules for the class ya are interested in running. AE or LOSI are the way to go for racing .. there is a huge turnout in slash class and theyre perfect for a budget, they make em run box stock everywhere ive ran that has a slash class.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

See if your local track runs a short course classes. It is by far the cheapest way to go racing. If they run those truck find out what the classes are. Most tracks run a Spec slash, stock SCT and mod SCT. If they have spec Slash then I'd get a Slash and run in that. It tons of fun and the rules are set to keep cost down.

If they only have stock SCT and mod SCT then you're better off with a Blitz. Run it in stock for a while and learn the truck then mod it and move up to the mod class.

You being a basher mostly and new to racing i'd stay away from the SC10 (don't even look at the strike). The SC10 is difficult to drive smooth and you'll get frustrated quickly having to replace parts every-time you tangle with another truck.

SCT racing is the best thing to happen to RC in a long time. It also more fun than I can ever remember having racing any of my other cars or trucks.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Lurp06x

Well the 1/8 electric buggies are pretty spendy even the rtr. i think the cheapest kit you can get is the ofna LX-1E for $190 but you still got to buy all the electronics an they add up fast.

or for ready to run theres the Kyosho Inferno VE for $450 but you still need batteries an charger.

So really the only selling point on nitro 1/8 is that you can get them rtr for $270 an all you need is fuel an some AAs.

but with 1/10 mainly 2wd you want the AE B4 or the Losi XXX, and 4wd you want the AE B44 but only the AE B4 comes rtr
Those 1/8 buggies you have mentioned are far from being Race worthy. Also you don't want alot of aluminum on a race vehicle, Aluminum is for shelf queens, You want your buggy to be as light as possible.
For the cheapest setup I would look for a used 8ight/RC8 or Xray 808, You can probably pick one up for about 200-250 on RCtech. Than you need a motor/ESC, I would suggest the Tekin RX8 for racing but if you want a bit cheaper of a setup go for the MMM/CCneu 2200kv. Along with a conversion kit. I would suggest a RCM mount for whatever buggy and a Battery tray depending on vehicle. Along with tires/servo/RX and a bunch of other things. Your looking at around 700-800 to get started with a ready to race vehicle. Remember to do smart upgrades not just pointless aluminum.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:46 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I agree with this post. I wanted to race 1/8th and I was going to put a bunch of money into my Ofna MBX Ultra Comp and after research and talking to people I decided to do it right and get an used Losi 8ight. I noticed immediately that they are engineered much better than lower costing 1/8th buggy's. Do yourself a favor if you go the 1/8th direction and do it right the first time.

ORIGINAL: Wild YFZ 450

ORIGINAL: Lurp06x

Those 1/8 buggies you have mentioned are far from being Race worthy. Also you don't want alot of aluminum on a race vehicle, Aluminum is for shelf queens, You want your buggy to be as light as possible.
For the cheapest setup I would look for a used 8ight/RC8 or Xray 808, You can probably pick one up for about 200-250 on RCtech. Than you need a motor/ESC, I would suggest the Tekin RX8 for racing but if you want a bit cheaper of a setup go for the MMM/CCneu 2200kv. Along with a conversion kit. I would suggest a RCM mount for whatever buggy and a Battery tray depending on vehicle. Along with tires/servo/RX and a bunch of other things. Your looking at around 700-800 to get started with a ready to race vehicle. Remember to do smart upgrades not just pointless aluminum.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Ok so no aluminum bling, just the necessities. I guess for the sake of cost I'll be going 1/10 scale. I've seen a few nice rtr's, especially losi has the spektrum already setup out of the box. I would really like to stick with a buggy. Plus an all metal tranny is a huge plus. Keep the advice coming, i'm still trying to decide...
Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 PM

I've decided to go with the Team associated B4. Solid platform to work up and it comes RTR for a good price so I can practice right away and upgrade as I break stuff.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:10 PM

Ordered the Associated B4.1 RTR today, they said it should be in mid February so I guess I'll be waiting impatiently...
Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 AM

should have gone for the Kyosho MP7 series, they are all great race buggies.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Mid Feb. Why so long?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Bigbangtheory

Mid Feb. Why so long?
Because that is when it is going to be released.