Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Old Jato 2.5 Needs TLC

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Jato 2.5 Needs TLC

I have an old Traxxas Jato 2.5. Iran a little less than a gallon of fuel through the car when the car was in an accident with another at a track. It wasn't a very bad collision, but when we inspected the car, still running, it died. Iwas in the process of rebuilding when my local hobby shop closed. Problem was that the part that was left (engine) was too expensive. So, I set it away and forgot about it.

Now, almost 2 years later, Ipull the car out of my closet. I used the after run oil, and cleaned it up after it shut down. Its in great shape, and just one minor repair (acceleration/brake servo is cracked) to sum it up. Problem is that engine. When it broke down, the flywheel would not turn at all. I even tried using the body as a lever. Nothing. So, Ipulled the engine, and took it completely apart. The piston is extremely hard to even move a centimeter. Its like its stuck in there. Finally broke it free, and it would go up and down, but pinch very hard at top and bottom. So hard, the starter fully charged couldn't even budge it from top or bottom. So, my question is this.

A) Is it safe to say the engine overheated causing the piston to expand into the sleeve, rendering that part bad?
B) Is it the connecting rod. I've heard Traxxas cars have problems with connecting rods breaking in a crash. Common problem.
C)The car hasn't been started in 2 years. Do you think it would run strong again if fixed? In other words, should Ijust lay it to rest?

Probably the best thing to do would be to take it apart again, and see if I can take the piston off the connecting rod, and just see if the piston/sleeve go through it easily. If so, then the connecting rod would be the culprit. What are your thoughts on this? By the way, I just bought a friend's Revo 3.3 with all his extra stuff because he is getting out of the hobby. Buying the Revo made me think of the Jato Ihad in my closet that has just been sitting there.