Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Futaba 3PK 3-Channel Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 3PK 3-Channel Radio

Does anyone else have this radio? I am thinking of getting it.

I was told it shows the position of the servo on the display as you turn the wheel, is this true???

What are the likes and dislikes and opinions:
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj32.html
Old 03-19-2004, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 3PK 3-Channel Radio

Yes, you can view the servo settings on the screen. This can even been done without transmitting (or by transmitting) and is very helpful when using the mixing features because a bar graph shows you when the mix takes place. It will also show you if one servo is already engaging though you are not using the wheel. On the normal start up screen, numbered settings are seen as well as the mode, model, name and so on.

The Futaba website also has a downloadable T3PK manual so you can read the specifics. As far as likes are concerned, there are too many to name and the Futaba website gives you a pretty good run down of the features (adjustable wheel position, right/left handed, fail safe, etc.). Personally, I like the balance, the adjustability of the dual rate with a simple turn knob which is projected on the screen (along with the steering and throttle trim), and the availability of different "Futaba" modules (including AM, FM (uncoded, coded, and accelerated), and Synthesized). From my understanding, there is even a module enabling the T3PK owner to add more than 10 models (which I would need if I didn't have a JR XS3 and another JR radio as well).

As far as dislikes, I don't really have any regarding the radio but some people have one heck of a time trying to program the T3PK--a few M8 owners I know won't even attempt to try and work the T3PK. The programming consists of 3 different levels, which allows you to "lock out" a beginner from changing the expert levels. Myself, I sat down and read the manual front-to-back twice before attempting to program the T3PK and I still refer to the manual at times since I seldom use all the features. Some features, such as the "Boat Mix" and 2 of the other Program Mixes I have never used (I do use the Brake Mix with my 1:5 scale). Actually, I haven't even programmed all the buttons.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:50 PM

Thanks! You ROCK! Anyone else has any input it would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:56 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Iffin you're looking for a synthesized radio, you might wanna wait a month or so for Futaba's 3PM-FS, which is due on the street in April

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGAF9&P=0

Why? Well, it's a LOT less $$$ than the 3PK (and a LITTLE less than the JR XS3), and you need to buy a synthesized Tx MODULE for the 3PK (and Rxs, too!!), making an expensive radio even MORE so (though I think you can buy a version with the synth module/Rx already packaged in).

The 3PM-FS has all the synth stuff built in, it still has the "high frame rate" HSR setup that the 3PK has (JR doesn't have this!) and it has most/all the stuff you'd want out of a computer radio (end point adj, steering rate AND speed adjustibility, anti-lock brakes, mixing, etc.).

And for what it's worth (and whatever it means), it's designed to be " the ideal computer radio upgrade for today's monster trucks".

I like the 3PK too, but I figure I can certainly livew with a $220 "junior synth" radio & then use the savings to buy the extra synthesized Rxs you need to put in your multiple vehicles. One thing I BELIEVE the 3PM-FS doesn't offer (even the US Futaba guy doesn't know yet!), is if it accepts an AM module, which is a nice option to run AM setup cars. But then again, you can probably buy 1-2 std. FM Rxs (non-synth) for the $90 price of the AM module & just convert your AM cars, and then you get the performance edge that FM gives you.

I'm shopping for a synth radio, too, but I wanna see what's up with the new Futaba before I jump in.

Dean
Old 03-23-2004, 01:57 PM

I can not use that one. Thanks for the link though. I am using this on a specific item and it will not do for me.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Deandome
But then again, you can probably buy 1-2 std. FM Rxs (non-synth) for the $90 price of the AM module & just convert your AM cars, and then you get the performance edge that FM gives you.
How does a thread go from asking questions about a T3PK to some other radio, especially when it is not an issue of cost but a matter of options. By the way, $90? I paid 1/2 that amount for the Futaba T3PK AM Conversion Module through my local hobby shop. And in case you are wondering why I have an AM Conversion Module, it is because "not" all R/C's can be converted from AM to FM though both my Mini-T and T-Maxx are set up with a JR XS3/RS300.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:57 AM

I had it.. and sold it but for reasons outside of the quality or performance of the radio.

It's an amazing radio. Great balance (though A little top heavy)...
It does what you are looking for with the servo position bar. I like that feature a lot.

However, I would not get the Futaba USA version (Magnum 3pk) but find the new edition of the "rest of the world" version the Megatech 3PK. It's the one usually sold here in Canada. My LHS will soon be getting the new Black Version which has a new look and updated software. Rumour is that the Futaba USA won't be selling that version for quite some time while I'm picking up the new Black version here in a couple of weeks.

Also, for that guy who's talking about getting the 3PM... umm. yes.. it's a great value. And I'm not knocking the radio. But you can't compare the 3PM to the 3pk. It's a different class. Besides.. the F.S.S. Module (stynthasized transmitter) is already listed on Towers website and already available on some overseas websites. So if you really want's syth it's not far away.
Sure it's more money, but you get what you pay for.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the info - You have a link to the new version?
Old 03-25-2004, 04:34 AM

http://stores.ebay.com/Dinball

Check out his electronic parts section. He usually sells the Black version of the 3pk. The above site is e ba y . com.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:17 PM

What is the difference from the black one and the one I posted about?

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj32.html

I want to get the better of the two. I have found a couple of places saying they have the black version but I have no clue what that means. I need the PCM/ 40MHz PPM module as well. I am sponsored by MTroniks for my car. The company is sponsoring me is making a custom receiver and ESC for my car. I need a PCM / 40MHz PPM radio for their receiver.

Thanks....
Old 03-25-2004, 06:26 PM

I have been surfing looking for best place to buy this radio. I need the 40MHz PCM version. Ripmax has been bought out by Irvine and they will not be importing Futaba anymore. So been looking at more of the Hong Kong related sites and ebay. Doing google searches. Hopefully find somewhere I feel ok with buying from soon. I want the black version if I can find it.

Any links would be greatful for.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:14 AM

Here is the [link=http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=421_36_47&products_id=6714& PHPSESSID=961df6352ad7c823d33ae9b83cdb606c]cheapest place [/link] but they don't seem to have the 40Mhz version.. .if you want that then [link=http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info.php?cPath=63&products_id=2090]rc-mushroom has a wider selection but more money[/link]

Difference?

One is goldish.. the other blackish.
Black version has a cooler looking wheel (very important!!
and updated software/UI... which is the big one... I'm hopeing it's a nice improvement.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:37 PM

I found the black version on a few sites in Hong Kong with 40MHz. I am going to order it in next couple of days. Anyone else have any other input on this radio???
Old 03-27-2004, 10:58 PM

i'm gonna buy it also soon
Old 03-28-2004, 04:00 AM

I placed the order this morning with a guy on EBay in Hong Kong. It was only place I could find the 40MHz version. Hopefully it gets here soon.