Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

crystals or sythesized for racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crystals or sythesized for racing

Ok. I'm going into MT racing soon. But Just wanted to know which is more reliable to be racing with on the radio. Crystals or sythesized.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:24 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: crystals or sythesized for racing

One is no less reliable than the other. The synthesized method is more expensive to purchase (but it gives you the ability to use any available frequency on the 75 band). Most tracks require that you have 3 sets of crystals to resolve frequency conflict issues, so this narrows the price gap. If I were to replace my radio equipment, I'd go synthesized.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reliability issue is more of a radio issue since some radios can send different types of signals. For example, depending on the module, the Futaba T3PK can transmit AM, PPM, PCM, & HRS. The KO PROPO Ex-10 Helios has what it calls an Advanced HSR mode. One nice thing about the high-end radios is that some also have optional crystalless modules. Futaba either has one or is soon releasing a crystaless module for the Futaba T3PK; however, I don't know which modes it is retricted to. Novak also has a crystless module for the M8. I'm not sure if the KO PROPO EX-10 Helios has a crystaless module or just the optional "Mini-Z" module. The JR XS3 FM model would probably be the cheaper route and it does include both a crystalless transmitter and receiver module. It would also probably send slower signals and they are probably restricted to PPM (PPM is uncoded FM, PCM is coded FM, HRS is High Response System, and HSR is KO Propo's own marketing for what I believe is High Speed Response). Supposedly HRS is 2x faster (the site has 2x, the manual has 3x) than any of the other radios and Ko Propo's "newer" HSR is 30% faster than its older Mars R.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JR has a switchable high framerate mode(Fast reponse) also, it's suggested in the manual that its for the faster digital servos so I haven't tried it(digital servos suck too much juice for me and my RC's).

It's more of a gimmick anyways and it won't make any of us noticably faster with our cars, maybe a handful of people in the world are good enough to tell a difference.(Which would be minute anyways)