Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Original BlackFoot - new owner questions >

Original BlackFoot - new owner questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Original BlackFoot - new owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original BlackFoot - new owner questions

Hey all , My 12yr old son is a new owner of a original BlackFoot truck . bought with his own B-day money . i am just the mechanic . we have a few questions. will be just a back yard hobby

1: what is best way to go for battery's ? - MAH size and NICD or NIMH - ebay ?

2: The Battery gets really hot after running truck - Truck has upgraded motor

3:The Truck will automatically start when plugging battery in unless remote is turned on first .

4: when battery weakens truck will stick in forward/reveres with having no controls from remote - but not always

5: where to buy correct rear hubs

Here is what we have:
Lexan body -
Speedworks Buggy Master motor -
Newer speed controller -
Ball Bearing hubs
(2) extra tires and rims
(3) batteries
(2) chargers / (1) wall fast charge and (1) car fast/trickle battery charger

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zzx2 006.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2109146   Click image for larger version

Name:	z1.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	2109147   Click image for larger version

Name:	zz1.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	2109148  
Old 07-17-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to RCU.

The mah on a battery just gives you an indication of how long the battery can run. Or how long it can supply power to the motor/ESC/servo.

The motor is really hot because one of many reasons. The main issue probably would be over gearing. Try going down a couple of teeth on the pinion gear.

The issue with the "no control" is the receiver is probably not getting enough "juice" and therefore it can't read the signals from your transmitter to be able to send signals to ESC/servo(s). That "Newer" speed control, does it have a fail-safe ?

I'm guessing the ESC (electronic speed control) does not have an on/off switch. Just make sure the radio transmitter is always on before plugging in the battery.

I'll have to get back to the hub thing in a bit. I gotta go make an appearance with the family upstairs before everyone heads to their rooms for the night.

Last edited by RustyUs; 07-17-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:37 PM

I'm thinking you got the Blackfoot off of Craigslist? It just so happens that my search results, for trying to find what "Newer" speed control you have, brought up a listing from Detroit with a Blackfoot for sale with a Newer speed control .
Old 07-17-2015, 05:38 PM

REAR HUB WHEEL ADAPTERS

Are those what you are looking for?
eBay search results: Blackfoot Hubs

Last edited by RustyUs; 07-17-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:57 PM

I don't know if you got a manual with your son's purchase, but the original Blackfoot manual can be found HERE.

Do you know off hand how many turns the Speedworks motor has? I wouldn't go with a too powerful motor on the Blackfoot. I had The Frog back in the day, and I did some stupid stuff to it. The tranny lasted a long time until I went overboard with a motor that had too much torque coupled with a 7 cell battery pack.

Oh, by the way, the Blackfoot was built off of the Frog's platform.

Last edited by RustyUs; 07-17-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Welcome to RCU.

The motor is really hot because one of many reasons. The main issue probably would be over gearing. Try going down a couple of teeth on the pinion gear.
With the Battery getting hot , does that mean i need to buy another pinion gear or is there settings on the motor or gears ?
Old 07-18-2015, 11:27 AM

REAR HUB WHEEL ADAPTERS

Are those what you are looking for?
eBay search results: Blackfoot Hubs
Are those originals or are they adapters to run different style wheels ? . Will have to check whats on it now.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:29 AM

I'm thinking you got the Blackfoot off of Craigslist? It just so happens that my search results, for trying to find what "Newer" speed control you have, brought up a listing from Detroit with a Blackfoot for sale with a Newer speed control .
Yes got it for $100 off CL . I found the PDF manual .....Thanks
Old 07-18-2015, 03:23 PM

Sorry, I miss read about the batteries getting hot and not the motor. It's been awhile since I use NiMh batteries, and I cant remember how hot they use to get after a heat of racing, but I do remember them getting very, very warm. If they get too hot to hold, then they are too hot.

Also when using NiMh packs...Just before the battery goes completely dead, it suddenly slows down ...at that moment, one or more cells are fully discharged or close to being fully discharged. Battery packs will last longer if you stop using them shortly after you notice the motor slowing due to the voltage drop.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by pperry71
Are those originals or are they adapters to run different style wheels ? . Will have to check whats on it now.
They are CRP's version of the originals pictured below...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$_1.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	2109869  
Old 07-18-2015, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by pperry71
1: what is best way to go for battery's ? - MAH size and NICD or NIMH - ebay ?
Anywhere from 3800mah ~ 4200mah would be a good capacity for the Blackfoot and a mild modified motor. And you can find a lot to choose from on eBay.

Also, you may want consider changing the battery connectors down the road if they get really hot. Those whitish Tamiya (molex) connectors are the worst when it comes to transferring energy.

A cheap iMax B6AC charger will do your batter packs a "world of good" by finding the peak point of the cells in the battery packs. Any good peak charger will do, but I just put in about the iMax 'cause it's probably one of the most popular & and most copied chargers out there. The chargers you have now are fine...it is just a guessing game though when the packs are fully charged. When charging the packs... going from warm to hot, is the time to stop.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 AM

Thanks for your help
Old 07-22-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try here for parts!
http://www.rcplanet.com/RC_Car_Truck_Parts_s/5461.htm#s[27][]:13620&s[25][]:13011&ash[25][]:13011&rg:&sid:1&h:leftColumn&k:1&ics:5461&abs:YTo xOntpOjA7aToxMzAxMTt9
or just type in rc planet, seems to be a script error on the site, but recently was looking for parts for a old clod buster i have, I also have the original manual for a black foot! 1/10 scale electric, so it is a used truck I take it, still have the original mechanical speed control? (they suck) Im a tech as well and used to play with them years ago, just dug mine up the other day! so sounds like you have some issues! the battery getting hot, that's normal, it starting without the controller on, that's normal as well (must have the controller on to set the speed controller to neutral position) as far as it sticking and going out of control that's pretty normal as well, the mechanical speed controller cant handle the low amps and I have even seem them weld the contacts! so think about upgrading to a nice controller pakage and newer speed controller and most of those issues will be cured! but I even have the same problem with my vultima! infact I just posted about it doing the same thing! and I have never been able to figure it out! something about speed controllers having radio interference ect... and most work off a 2.4ghz fregency witch is real common for wireless home phones! so could be that, so I am not much help on that one.

sorry Guess I skipped over that it has a new speed controller, sorry, maybe same prob as mine, is it a novak?

Last edited by humpmaster; 07-23-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dito! those poor little 32 pitch gears cant handle to much power, need gears for my clod!

Ohh I might mention I have been looking at lipo batteries as well, they seem to be availiable, but dont know if they fit in older cars etc.. but that's what we do right? we make stuff fit in small places! ohh and I might mention the 24 karat gold plated terminals I use on my car and charger have worked great! not one has ever melted! me and bro had our own track and two car shop set up and probably 8-10 cars trucks planes etc...and a few gasser's but been years for me so I got some catchen up to do!
but we used them on all our electric cars and battery pack's we built, worth the money.
ccccyyyyyyaaaaaaa! be safe!

Last edited by humpmaster; 07-23-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:46 PM

well the Blackfoot is making grinding noise from gear box . Can someone post a link to the differential gears i need. . Trying to figure out what i need from these parts posted here - http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40416

new set of Frog/Brat re-release diff bevel gears
complete set of re-release Frog/Brat transmission and pinon gears

is this the better gear set ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Brat-...item35eba305d8

Last edited by pperry71; 08-22-2015 at 10:26 AM.