Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

1st drifter help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:06 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st drifter help

Hello fellow rc'ers. I'm a seasoned crawler and scaler but i think i screwed up! Drove a drifter (don't know what kind) at my lhs for a few mins. and damn! think i'm hooked already! What to get for a first drifter? Don't want anything i'll outgrow too quickly. Have a 2.4 setup already. Have been reading some forums on the topic, and am quickly remembering how confusing it is to start out in any segment. Trying to make sense of names of different kits, my heads about to explode! Don't know whats needed and whats not. Starting from scratch here folks, so please be patient with your reply. I'm running 2 & 3s li-po in my trail rigs. Some of my 2s are pretty small-can I usem'? What are the major challenges associated with drifting? Can you recommend a specific kit? I'll take whatever you give me! Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:33 AM

Default RE: 1st drifter help

two chassis that drift fantastic - Tamiya TA05 version 2 or VDF version (VDF limited production, hard to find now but still out there) and Yokomos Drift Packages MRTC-SD chassis either type B or C (type C has great mods for serious drifters that want extreme adjustments on chassis)
you will not outgrow these chassis anytime soon, tons of parts and hop ups available for them. People feared Yokomos because of parts availability, not a problem you can get stuff on the net easily and I know several die hard Yok dudes that can steer you right with chassis setups and questions.

I've owned over a dozen chassis and brands now, and I have narrowed it down to two that I use for competitions, my VDF and Yok Type C

Tamiya's TA05 can be modified to VDF specs easily, and if you really get into it and go "counteer steer" this mod is easily done on this chassis. Yokomo makes ready to install kits to go counter steer.

Almost all newbees start out with lower priced chassis, but end up upgrading, so I say bite the bullet now you will regret it later.

here are some links to start off.......

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/index.php...sort=1a&page=4
http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.c...oducts_id=2178

this site is a good parts source for tamiya stuff and serious chassis modifications like the $80.00 upgrade for the TA05 which turns it into a VDF spec
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/index.php...sort=1a&page=4
Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 PM

I would say a sprint 2 drift. Very nice out of the box car, and relatively cheap too.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:49 PM

I will have to agree with most of kstmRYD's choices, if you can find them at good prices.

Seems the more the chassis costs, the better and easier it drifts. There ARE exceptions, if you can find a good, quality TC chassis for a good price, as I found in the Losi JRXS Type R, but the JRXS-R is now discontinued.
Manylower-cost chassis need a lot of mods to make them work well, and in many cases, you will have spent the same amount as if you would have gotten the higher priced chassis in the first place.

So get ready to spend some money, but be assured, you WON'T be wasting it on broken parts much. Mostly, it will go to bling and trying to be "individual", which is what keeps me in drift- knowing I have the only drifter that looks like mine, not a carbon copy of what tens of thousands of other guys have!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:32 AM

I agree with the Yokomo chassis and also agree with biting the bullet now, I own the VDF, Yokomo dift master and Yokomo DRBchassis. If I had to recommend one I would say get the Yokomo DRB it is pricey but is a real good chassis, belt driven and easy to drive.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 AM

Picture of Yokomo drift master and Yokomo DRB. I love it and really easy to get parts being stationed in Japan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86614.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1547925  
Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: LILJAY2

Picture of Yokomo drift master and Yokomo DRB. I love it and really easy to get parts being stationed in Japan.
Gees...I love those blue wheels......where did you come up with that?

Ive driven Thunder tige TS4e pro, Tamiya TT chassis, and the best ive had since was the Yokomo chassis. Its not that hard to set up, easy to maintain, and a pleasure to go sideways with.....
But...its ultamately your choise......
Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 PM

All good suggestions. The one in my collection that I run the most is still my TT01. The durability factor is what does it for me. I drift it, but I also jump it (calculated jumping, not launching it off ledges or anything crazy like that). Where I live, a lot of people are going that route, and the tub chassis is a little more forgiving for that nature of driving. Anyway, I figure a rock crawler background may steer you in that direction. So my vote for you would be a Tamiya TT-01d