Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

New to drift..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to drift..

im looking at getting a nice rc drift, somewhere under or close to 200... been looking at hpi sprint 2.. not sure yet.

help?

thanks.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM

Default RE: New to drift..

I heard those are really good. They have a large selection of hop ups too, so i say go for it!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM

The Sprint 2 drift is a good starter.

Can I make a few suggestions?

1) Put 4 oz. of lead weight on the front bumper. That will even out it's weight distribution close to 50/50, and make it more controllable.
2) The rear diff cover should be removed (with a dremel, to make it easy). otherwise, you'll be replacing belts when rocks and debris get caught between belt and pulley.
3) Lock the rear diff (it doesn't come locked from the factory, I don't know why) with epoxy.
4) For the best turn-in, get a front one-way unit (HPI makes one for the Sprint 2). It also makes transitions more consistent. Usingthe stockdiff works O.K., but diff action is inconsistent.
5) I have a steering fix for the Sprint 2. (the steering has a lot of slop in it, engineered that way) in the"HPI Sprint 2 thread" in the on-road car sectionhere, at RCU, on page 34,about halfway down. Use it if you feel you need it.It's pretty low-cost, andit works! I did mine a year ago, and it's still tight!
6)Hop-ups are indeed available for the Sprint 2, but I would concentrate on the carbon parts, and suspension.
7) A good source for durable,inexpensive tires is Raikou Drift Tires. The stockers will wear out in no time, and ratherthan get tires that won'tlast any longer, and/or costas much or more, Raikous will last a looooooong time! The first set of their DXPE's I purchased more than a year ago is still mounted on my S2 andSTILLsliding! They're hardly worn, and I drift a lot! I suggest their DXPE/D68 combo pack. The D68's are evenmore durable than the DXPE's! For a couple of bucks over the price of one pair of replacement T-drifts from HPI, you can get TWOFULLSETS of drift tiresfrom Raikou!
Try them out, I think you'll be pleased.
All this might sound as though the Sprint 2 isn't that good, but on the contrary, Once the chassis is set up right, it will drift with the higher priced chassis just as well!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:39 PM

good advice here from gokemidoro, do the modification at the rear bulkhead #2 on goke's list before you hit the pavement and you'll be a happy camper!

here is a picture of my tricked out sprint 2, she's been sitting idle for a few years now, I don't use her anymore, not that she is a bad chassis I just keep buying cars searching for the impossible, perfection!

I covered my rear diff pulley to protect it, but the cut out mod works good and looks better.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 PM

lookin to sell it?