Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

ELECTRIC DRIFTING PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELECTRIC DRIFTING PROBLEM!

I currently have electrical tape wrapped around my tires, and everytime i go to drift on my street it donuts like mad! even if i go on low speed and tap the steering control as lightly as possible, it will 360. what can i do?
Old 06-06-2004, 05:26 PM

Default RE: ELECTRIC DRIFTING PROBLEM!

change your gearing or lose the tape
Old 06-07-2004, 12:13 PM

i replaced the tape with some really slippy stuff and it drifts great now!
Old 06-07-2004, 01:58 PM

Is the tape on all 4 tires? If you have them only on the rear it will 180 like crazy. Put tape or pvc/abs pipe on all the wheels. It should be pretty easy to control from there. Now it just takes some good throttle control.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:07 PM

Also make sure the chassis isn't tweaked - that can also make you spin out.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:23 PM

whaddya mean tweaked?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:33 PM

That both front tyres touch the ground simultaneously, and the same for the rears.

Set the car down on the table and settle the suspension. Do this by tapping on the front of the car a few times and do the same to the rear. Next, get down so the car's chassis is at eye level. Say that you are going to be looking at the back of the car. Place the x-acto in the center of the chassis and lift up. What happens? Does one wheel leave the ground before the other? Are they the same? Well, if they are the same go to the front of the car and do the same thing. If not , which wheel lifts first, right or left? Say the right wheel lifts first, you can do 2 things: lengthen the right shock, or shorten the left shock. Get the idea? Do this until both wheels leave the ground at the same time. Then check the front if you haven't already done so. Do the same thing to the front now. Then check the rear again to make sure that any of your adjustments from the front didn't effect the rear. This can kind of be a see-saw for a while but it is usually very easy on the Yokomo. Ok, now that the tweak is set, along with the camber and ride height you are pretty much done. You might want to run and get the body and make sure that it doesn't drag on the ground but otherwise you are done!
I always point the car towards me then push one end of the car down so the chassis is touching, then I simultaneously lift the free end in the centre of the chassis to see if both tyres leave the ground at THE SAME TIME, then I do the same thing for the other end of the car (after turning it round of course)

Reason? - because if one or more of your shocks is an odd length, that will affect both ends of the car if you just set the tweak by lifting one end whilst the other is sitting on it's tyres (especially if the odd shock is at the end touching the ground because this will tend to raise one side of the car)

I recently saw some great pics for this which would make it so much clearer, but can't for the life of me remember (could have been Tony Phalen's site).

UPDATE...Found Tony's site, no pics though, but [link=http://ebiz.netopia.com/competitionx/home/]Tony Phalen[/link] sure packs some fantastic info into his site. N.B. Noobs must at least have a look around, it will save you YEARS!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:10 PM

FOUND IT!!!

[link=http://www.teamlosi.com/xxxs_page/xxxs_tweak.htm]SETTING TWEAK[/link]
Old 06-17-2004, 11:37 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I just took off my tires and drifted it on my wheels it gives you insane amount of run time this way also (great for those dusty concrete floors in new buildings )
Old 06-18-2004, 05:00 AM

If you cant drift properly u can set the wheels to a camber of -4 degrees. If your car doesnt have much camber, at the front it will look like []-----[]. when u set camber it looks like //----\\. it helps but if you have a strong car it can spin out your car or if you set too much camber
Old 06-21-2004, 05:34 AM

If you use PVC pipe 'tyres' you need zero camber, soft suspension and a high turn motor (PK2Pro)...I get 15 minutes out of a set of 5 year old 2000's!!!!