Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

thinkin about drifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinkin about drifting

i currently have a xxx-s graphite virtually brand new i picked up for 125 bucks about 6 months ago, thought about racing it but dont have the time.. what would i need to do to convert it over to a drifter? i have a brand new novak 17t brushless system to throw in it, i figured a body and tires and some setup changes need to be done, do you necessarily need a gyro to drift and not spin out! im pretty good on the controller as i race offroad and rockcrawl.just tryin to try something out that i can do locally with out costing too much. i think i got a pretty good start soo far , what do you think?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:02 AM

Default RE: thinkin about drifting

I wouldn't suggest using a gyro. As far what you need, just get some tires or PVC pipe and you're good to go.

I use Sushi drift abs tires off of ebay, they are very cheap and look pretty nice.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:18 AM

Hi,

Never heard of a xxx-s so no idea what it's like or if it's any good for drifting.

Usually a good start is to lock up the rear diff and fit HPI T-Drifts, the Sushi's are not as good as either the T-Drifts or Yokomo rings, and the T-Drifts last a little longer than the Yokomo's.

As the man says don't bother with a Gtro either.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:43 PM

the xxx-s is an older losi race car. the new jsx is the newest
Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 AM

ORIGINAL: cbr6fs

Hi,

Never heard of a xxx-s so no idea what it's like or if it's any good for drifting.

Usually a good start is to lock up the rear diff and fit HPI T-Drifts, the Sushi's are not as good as either the T-Drifts or Yokomo rings, and the T-Drifts last a little longer than the Yokomo's.

Well, 12 Sushi drift rings are $9 shipped, and TWO T-Drifts are $9 without shipping...
Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 AM

Pretty sure the XXX-s is the same chassis as the newer Losi Drift-R, sealed-Belt drive chassis. Should be a good car, I'm not crazy about the battery being on the right side though but I think belt drive is the way to go. Drift-R doesn't show up on Losi web site, must be discontinued? Almost positive it's the same car...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Raguvian

ORIGINAL: cbr6fs

Hi,

Well, 12 Sushi drift rings are $9 shipped, and TWO T-Drifts are $9 without shipping...

Your money your choice.

If the budget is really very tight then i recon making your own wheels out of PVC piping is the best option.
Takes a bit of work to cut them the right size then file down the edges, but you'll get half decent tyres very very cheap.

Next option for me would be the T-Drifts, simply because there is no comparison between the Sushi's and T-Drifts.
T-drifts fit better, are made better, and drift better.

If your just having fun bashing with mates they also last for ages.

Not tried these personally yet, but read that they're very nearly as good as the T-Drifts just a little softer.
http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail....od=rcvp3320010

I'd prefer to try those over the Sushi's if i was on a tight budget.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hkenvy91

i currently have a xxx-s graphite virtually brand new i picked up for 125 bucks about 6 months ago, thought about racing it but dont have the time.. what would i need to do to convert it over to a drifter? i have a brand new novak 17t brushless system to throw in it, i figured a body and tires and some setup changes need to be done, do you necessarily need a gyro to drift and not spin out! im pretty good on the controller as i race offroad and rockcrawl.just tryin to try something out that i can do locally with out costing too much. i think i got a pretty good start soo far , what do you think?
The XXX-S is a great chassis to drift with. All you need are some tires.

I see ABS and T drifts were already mentioned and they are both good choices but keep in mind your budget. ABS (sushis) are cheap and will get you sliding but that's really all they are good for: drift bashing.

If you want to get more serious about drifting, like competition for example, then you should get some HPI T drifts or Yokomo single rings or any other purpose made drift tire. But if you just want to slide your car around a parking lot, ABS (or even PVC) will work just fine.