Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Hot Team Orion Vortex Pro Stock 17.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Team Orion Vortex Pro Stock 17.5

<span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; "><span style="background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); ">I purchased a Team Orion R10 Pro ESC and a Team Orion Vortex ProStock17.5 and have been unable to get the motor to run at a reasonable temp. I don't have a temp gun but I am unable to touch the motor for more than a sec and it smells hot. The ESC is</span><span id="IL_AD5" class="IL_AD" style="border-bottom-width: 1px !important; border-bottom-style: dotted !important; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 153, 0) !important; color: rgb(0, 153, 0) !important; background-image: none !important; background-attachment: scroll !important; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); cursor: pointer !important; position: static; display: inline !important; padding: 0px 0px 1px !important; float: none !important; background-position: 0% 50%; background-repeat: repeat repeat !important; ">running</span><span style="background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); ">in blinky mode and I have tried using both the sensor slots on it. I have changed the gearing with 22 and 26 pinion with 78 and 87 spurs (48 pitch) and this changed nothing. I run a SC10 with a gear tranny and</span><span style="background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); ">stock</span><span style="background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); ">slipper. I have gone through the gear box twice to make sure there is nothing binding. The ESC runs nice and cool. I have a couple different batteries,</span><span style="background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); ">all are 2S 7.4. One is 4200 45C and the others ares 5800 65-130C and there is no difference in temp.I</span>have also chnged the endbell timing from full timing to none and there is no noticable temp difference.<br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); " /><br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); " /><span style="background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); ">The gearing with the 78 spur is what just about everyone else at my track runs, within a couple of</span><span id="IL_AD3" class="IL_AD" style="border-bottom-width: 1px !important; border-bottom-style: dotted !important; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 153, 0) !important; color: rgb(0, 153, 0) !important; background-image: none !important; background-attachment: scroll !important; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); cursor: pointer !important; position: static; display: inline !important; padding: 0px 0px 1px !important; float: none !important; background-position: 0% 50%; background-repeat: repeat repeat !important; ">teeth</span><span style="background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); ">. I am willing to gear down to try and fix this but if I am no longer competitive I feel like then it is a motor issue. I have thought about buying a different motor and putting it in to see if I have the same problem, but would like to avoid shelling out another $100 for testing purposes.</span><br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); " /><br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); " /><span style="background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); ">Pleasehelp withany and all suggestions! Thank You</span></span></span><span style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237); ">!</span>
Old 07-04-2013, 06:01 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hot Team Orion Vortex Pro Stock 17.5

Gear down on the pinion, not up and not the spur gear.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, see, if you decrease the number of teeth on the spur, you end up RAISING the gear ratio. You didn't mention what vehicle we're talking about, but I'm gonna guess the stock spur gear should be 87T. Running a 87T spur with a 26T pinion definately sounds too high. 22T still might be too high. Tho up there in Washington it shouldn't be very warm like it is here in California (Hot as hell right now!), I'd suggest going down to a pinion somewhere between 18-20T. I have a couple HobbyWing systems very much like your Orion in my two Evaders. I run a 19T pinion and 87T spur. On 2S that gets me near 40mph. Unless it's a-hundred-and-shoot-me outside, my motors stay below 150F. It's hard to tell if "hot" is really "too hot" unless you have a thermometer. Duratrax makes one for $20. Well worth the money to keep an ACCURATE eye on your temps. BL motors will run happily between 120-150F all day long. Normal operating temps. Getting upwards of 180, you risk damage. Really hard to tell the diff between 150 and 180 with yer finger.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 PM

Rob, I did say in my original post that I am running a SC10. I will try and go back to the 87 tooth spur and see if I can stay competitive. I will also pick a temp gun so that I can accurately monitor my temp.<div>
</div>
Old 07-07-2013, 01:01 PM

Ack!  So you did...I missed that. 

But how goes it with the latest change?  Get an IR thermometer yet?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:05 PM

Went racing last after I picked up a temp gun. Started with the 87 spur and 22 pinion, temp never got over 120. Put in a 84 spur and then switched between 21, 22 and 26 pinion. Temp never got higher than 135 - 140 even with the timing turned all the way clock ways. I still feel like I need more speed coming out of the corner to make couple the jumps that everyone else seems to be able to make with no problems. I am going to continue to tune with the timing and I need to get the program box for my ESC so I can tune that way as well. I plan on sticking with either the 21 or 22 pinion and possibly change up the spur. Just need to get more speed out of the corners, not concerned about top speed since the track isn't that big.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Sounds like you need more torque. Lowering the pinion would do that, and should give you a little more speed out of the corners, providing you have tires that can get the most of it. Talk with your other racers, too. They might give you some tips as well. At least you don;t have to worry about your motor temps now. Sounds like you're in the ballpark.