Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

IMEX FireFox... Not having any luck

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMEX FireFox... Not having any luck

Hey guys, my name is Matt and I recently purchased an IMEX Firefox 1/10 electric. This is my first electric rc truck/car and I was not to pleased with the motor that came in it so I picked up a cheap fireball modified 13d brushed. Got the venom motor installed and plugged in, turn the truck on everything was working great. Set it on the ground tested steering and throttle working well. Then it just died, thought maybe I had a loose connection so I went through every connection, all good. Then I thought maybe this new motor isn't compatible with the 3 in 1 esc that came in the truck. Not having another esc setup I can't test this theory, I was hoping for some input before dropping anymore cash into this "supposed to be cheap and reliable RC".

I have a couple of nitro RC's and could possibly help with questions on, MGT 4.6 or an Exceed hyperspeed ( which seems to be a redcat also).

Any info would appreciated, thanks!

Matt
Old 10-19-2013, 09:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the motor with the good 'ol 9 volt trick. Get a 9 volt battery, hook up the motor to that, and test it. If it works, then its the ESC. If it doesn't work, then it is the motor. You can also do this with a 7.2v pack.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:07 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 problems. First is the 3 in 1 esc which I doubt can handle a 13 turn modified motor. The esc is likely limited to motors with 19 or more turns. Fewer turns means more rpm and more amp draw, more turns means less rpm and less amp draw. Second problem is the Venom motor. I've never had one but a quick google turned up forum hits with many bad reviews including the motor going dead on its first run. And when I say dead I mean failure within the windings, not something the average person can fix. Personally I won't buy Venom anything, their lipos are some of the worst out there.

Try hooking your old motor back up to see if the 3in1 esc is dead or not. If its alive look for a motor from Orion, Trinity, etc with 19 or more turns. I'd try searching the net or contacting Imex to find out what the esc can handle though. If you want more power than that you're better off going brushless. There are brushless combos that aren't very expensive from Hobbywing, Leopard and others. Your truck appears to be the newer model with metal differential gears (first versions were plastic) that should hold up to the power.