Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best battery for brushed motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best battery for brushed motor

Okay i have a team losi xxxt (its an old electric rc car) and i am currently using 3000 mah 6 cell battery for it. And i noticed that after i play it for about 5-10 minutes, the plastic thing that connects the battery to the rc car is hot and it kinda melts the cord a lil bit. My question is if i buy a 5000 mah 6 cell will my cord melts?

Another question is should i or could i upgrade my rc into a brushless motor? And can a lipo battery fit into a brushed motor or will it blow up?

What do you guys recommend? Thanks!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo Ivan. I believe those Losi XXXTs were pretty good. You could upgrade to a mild brushelss system like an HobbyWing EZrun 35A ESC with a 3500kv-4300kv brushless motor that should give you no problems. That system can be had at HobbyPartz for about $80 WITH programming card. I run two of them, one in an Evader (2wd) and the other in a Ofna/HoBao Hyper 10TT (4wd). Love them. Strong and reliable and fast. Gens Ace 5000mAh 2S 40C Lipos are less than $45.

For a BRUSHED motor? Stick with NiMh batteries. But for God's sake get RID of the crappy Molex (Tamiya) style battery connector!! My Evader came with them and I melted it too. They just suck. Go with Traxxas connectors. Work great, carry lots of Amps and don't get hot and melt. They are REQUIRED for Lipo. Better learn how to solder properly. If you change over your connectors to Traxxas (on the ESC, all your batteries, and the charger) you will not regret it. Then you can get some SEVEN cell NiMh packs and you'll have speed out the wazoo. Plus, your connector won't melt.

Course, that's providing the old brushed motor/ESC remain serviceable. Really, brushless motor systems have gotten so inexpensive, it doesn't make sense not to switch. Brushless is MUCH more powerful and efficient. Motors last almost forever and are easy to service, just clean out the dust and lube the bearings.

Just don't use NiMh batteries on a brushless system, unless you don't CARE that you're gonna kill them, cuz you will. They overheat and eventually sucks the life out of them.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Hey man thanks for the advice, really appreciate it and uh after i upgraded my xxxt, i plan on getting a traxxas jato cause i saw a vid on youtube and i just fell in love with the car, and other reason i want to get a jato cause this friend of mine who influenced me to get an rc car has a t-max and traxxas slash and i gotta admit that his rc's are pretty fast and i plan to smoke his ass with my jato.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah, lipo all the way. You CAN use nimh but why bother? Lipo will last much longer in any application. As Rob stated, the problem is the connector, go deans or traxxas
Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Well, not to rain on your parade, but are you prepared for the potential frustration of tuning a nitro engine? I understand Nitro's attraction, but you have to be DEDICATED and really learn about nitro motors. Personally, I have no attraction to the noise, the mess, the heat and all the extra mechanical parts that need to work. With brushless and Lipo, it's all just plug-n-play. And when you're done, all you have to do is Storage Charge your battery, no clean up, no after-run oil, no burnt fingers. And brushless is JUST as fast and powerful as a nitro. So to me, it's "why bother?"
Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxy
Nah, lipo all the way. You CAN use nimh but why bother? Lipo will last much longer in any application. As Rob stated, the problem is the connector, go deans or traxxas
or EC3(or EC5)

Perosnally I'd use EC3 over deans or traxxas
Been thinking of swapping all my traxxas connectors over eventually, but I'd have to replace like 20 on ESC's, and like 15 on batteries...
Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 AM

To the OP:
Running a LiPo battery with a brushed motor won't harm anything, assuming the ESC can handle the voltage you provide (so don't run a big 3s pack on an ESC not designed to handle the voltage) - there's nothing inherently wrong about running a LiPo with a brushed setup, but you'd have to be ready to deal with the LiPo specific maintenance aspect of things (which would be there if you go brushed or brushless, has nothing to do with that). Things like low voltage cutoffs, balancing chargers, etc.

Although a brushed system might not get the most out of a LiPo like a brushless one will, you will gain the advantage of a very low self-discharge rate on the battery (i.e., charge it up and it holds the charge for days and days), and LiPos don't lose punch as they discharge during running - they perform very well until they are done, then the dropoff comes steeply (unlike NiMh, whose performance drops steadily as they discharge).

Anyway, a LiPo won't hurt your system - the battery ratings are really what the battery is capable of delivering, when the ESC/motor demand it. It's not like a high rated LiPo is shoving big amps through your brushed ESC/motor without being asked for it. The battery only delivers what is asked of it (if it is capable).
Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM

My bad man i ment e-revo not jato i always mix those up
Old 12-11-2013, 01:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phew... The jato is not one of traxxas better models...

if u really want to smoke him down the track, try to look past traxxas. Its good, but not great for the price

that losi xxxt has more potential than u think... with the right combo it will easily smoke a slash and take down a t-maxx...
it's very similar to a traxxas rustler but a far better design with more tuning options
Old 12-11-2013, 02:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out this...
http://www.redrc.net/2010/05/crc-los...-conversion-2/
Old 12-11-2013, 08:27 AM

I always thought the e-revo was very cool looking, and looked like it had some nice features. But $800?? Ouch. Especially since, from what I've read about them, they need about $100 in upgrade parts to keep it from breaking every time you take it out. And you need to run dual-battery-packs.