Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What Will Be The Next Big Thing In Off-Road RC Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What Will Be The Next Big Thing In Off-Road RC Racing?

Simple, since SCT has seemed to reach it's peak((or is close)), What do you guys think will be the next big thing in Off-Road RC Racing? Will it be an old throwback coming to take it's title back, such as Monster trucks? Or will it be something newer or more scale like Rally Cars? Whatever you guys think? let's get into a heated ((but respectful)) debate as to what will be the successor to the ever so popular Short Course Truck racing class.

Last edited by Nitro Pop; 01-05-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont even have a SCT yet! Haha

I like truggies. But I think thats already hit?

Monster truck racing would be cool.

Maybe something futeristic, like buggy racing with jumps with 10ft gaps and u have to make some way for ur buggy to glide across that would be interesting to see done lol
Old 01-04-2014, 07:03 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Would love to see Rally take off. That or a return to Monster Truck racing. Something that retains a scale look and feel rather than the truggies etc that have been around already
Old 01-05-2014, 03:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its rally cars.... They are currently the next big thing.
traxxas rally
tamiya Xv01
HPi wr8
losi Ten rally
Old 01-05-2014, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Orcatkt
Would love to see Rally take off. That or a return to Monster Truck racing. Something that retains a scale look and feel rather than the truggies etc that have been around already
i know people are still rocking monster truck racing in Michigan
http://michiganmonstersofrc.net

they even have scale looking wrecked cars lol

its funny. With all the new stuff out they still base them off vintage Tamiya Clodbusters.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Its rally cars.... They are currently the next big thing.
traxxas rally
tamiya Xv01
HPi wr8
losi Ten rally
Oh Great, another class that needs small jumps to combat parachuting.

Personally i want to see more short course buggies. you got SCT wheels and suspension, and a buggy look with better off road abilities, and a tight to the chassis body for no parachuting, and bump bars so there is not as much issue with crashing as other open wheel vehicles, they would make better bashers than 1/10 buggies, and better racers than SCT or Rally. add in the fact that Losi and Team Durango do mid motor/rear motor combo vehicles, and that is a recipe for some SERIOUSLY fun off road racing

anyone agree?

Last edited by Nitro Pop; 01-07-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM

I use to stress about parachuting and when I converted my slash into a LCG slash I got one of those flow tec bodies... That in it self makes no real noticeable difference.

but anyway back to the point... Ahhh yes, well... I found the more I went to the track the less parachuting I experienced....
so in a nut shell, if u launch of a jump and ur front wheels are excessively high, it will parachute
but if u keep the front down.. It won't noticeable parachute. Well that's just my experience
and this is the car

Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 AM

OH THAT WAS YOU WITH THAT TRUCK.

dude that truck is fully sick, forgot to say that in your build thread.

but anyway the other problem i have with SCT is they look weird, well depending on the picture it can make SCT's look to short to tall and too wide ((manufacturers seem to be pretty piss poor at taking SCT pictures)) not to mention that all the racing kits are expensive. $250 for the losi 22SCT, while it's $200 for the losi 22B, and only $190 for the losi 22T

and i know i know, if any other class takes off as much as SCT did of course it would be expensive, but if it was SCB, it would be worth it. If it was rally, i would't touch ((own)) it with a 10 foot pole, Rally cars look even more disproportionate than SCT's and that is worsened still by crappy photos.

Oh well, the world isn't gonna change over night, or just change because a few people want it to.

/rant
Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nitro Pop

. If it was rally, i would't touch ((own)) it with a 10 foot pole, Rally cars look even more disproportionate than SCT's and that is worsened still by crappy photos.

/rant
Well, at least Tamiya does scale right.

I'd love to see way more rally shells, the classics like 959, lancia stratos, and other rally beasts of the past. Very cool looking, and Tamiya always does well with their shells.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would also love to see rallycross. But I would love to hope and think 1/8th truggies (brushless primarily) are due for a comeback, they have the potential to be off road's equivalent of formula 1. Up the battery restrictions to 6S and buy popcorn.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Could you guys see "true" rally ever being a thing? A single car track with timed results instead of bumper-to-bumper like rallycross. There are some funny videos in a thread on RCTech showing people actually running behind their rally cars on a track through the woods lol.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:49 AM

I haven't been into RCs for very long, but I'd like to see different formats (mainly because my local track is so bad). Foxy mentioned RallyCross, but let's bring it in a little closer. How about doing the Autocross format for an off-raod RC-cross. The current racing categories can remain for the sake of grouping. The plus would be that you're only racing the clock. Yeah, no door-to-door, but LHS's can throw something out in the parking lot after hours... If the LHS is doing it more frequently, more people will be reached and pulled into the hobby. Thus the reason the best autocrosses I've been to have been 1) seen by a lot of people who'd normally not know what an autocross is 2) local org really tries to keep the event regular 3) the course can be changed from week to week, by different people, or located in a different area.
Sorry for the wordy post. I was eating lunch and didn't want to talk to anyone...
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenator128
Could you guys see "true" rally ever being a thing? A single car track with timed results instead of bumper-to-bumper like rallycross. There are some funny videos in a thread on RCTech showing people actually running behind their rally cars on a track through the woods lol.
I would mercilessly ridicule anyone I know if I caught them doing that.

In all seriousness though, the future of RC racing is FPV (First Person View) I think, which would go a long toward enabling a point to point race over significant range.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM

I like the idea of 1/8 buggies, 6s lipo and a bag popcorn... Lol

just thinking.... The thought of rally is not really that "out there" If u think about it would be very similar to how crawler comps work

hey what's the name of the race that the rally cars do where its a 2 car head to head race? U know the ones where they start at different locations and finish just ne'er each other like a monster jam race?? Gymkhana? Auto cross?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by phmaximus
I like the idea of 1/8 buggies, 6s lipo and a bag popcorn... Lol

just thinking.... The thought of rally is not really that "out there" If u think about it would be very similar to how crawler comps work

hey what's the name of the race that the rally cars do where its a 2 car head to head race? U know the ones where they start at different locations and finish just ne'er each other like a monster jam race?? Gymkhana? Auto cross?
I think they just call it "special stage"
Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM

If you had timed (not head to head, bumper to bumper) races, then wouldn't everything take forever since it's only one at a time? That also means fewer people racing, and less $$ for the track to operate, right? Or am I misunderstanding?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 PM

True, but it wouldn't be too different to a lot of the monster truck style of racing. Personally I would love to see a highly scale class emerge. less of these body only styles that have given us the same chassis in four different suits, lets see some really scale cars emerge. Especially in a RallyX or special stage type format. FPV would really unlock rally, but at what $$?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Eman77
If you had timed (not head to head, bumper to bumper) races, then wouldn't everything take forever since it's only one at a time? That also means fewer people racing, and less $$ for the track to operate, right? Or am I misunderstanding?
well not necessarily, I dare say hypothetically they would do it like the real thing and let cars go at timed intervals regardless if the one in front has finished.

Just keep in mind it would have to be scale speeds... and at scale speeds u could just jog behind the car and properly wouldn't need a marshal as such.

Very much like a crawler comp with the way they walk after there vehicle... but rally cars been faster u would have to move ya butt a bit faster chasing after it...
or with a very technical track that might be enough to slow the cars down to a walking speed...
Old 01-15-2014, 03:57 AM

ok.... here we go check out this....... Im still laughing.......lol

yes it looks as funny as hell, still laughing....
but no kidding that looks hard... knowing me I would of been ass over *** straight into one of those first puddles,,,,,,, lol

For the record.... I know 100% that this is not Australian. we aint that crazy yet.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4glnVDQ8sk
Old 01-15-2014, 05:23 AM

this is REALLY cool, but they honestly look like idiots running behind the car.

my idea for this would be FPV and have 2-3 marshals per section ((i.e. the section with the puddles would have a few marshals, the section with the bridge would have a few marshals, etc. etc.)) and FPV would only work if it and the transmitters could get a good long distance signal, and only if the FPV cam had VERY LOW or ZERO latency, and could get at least 30fps.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Except for running behind the vehicle, and that is negotiable I guess if the courses are fun enough, this looks like a lot of fun. Figure a 25 turn in a tamiya rally chassis with some good scale (ish) tires on it. I'd try it!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:13 PM

jesus christ plz dont let this become the next big thing why cant they do a rallycross track with a driver stand or something normal look at them running around i wonder how many have stomped there car into the ground doing that this is probley the only form of rc where the driver can get hurt id laugh my ass off if one of them tripped and did a faceplant
Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 AM

We are a bunch of grown men playing with toy cars, and you are worried about looking silly? Not saying that I am in favor of the running behind my toys, but the idea and style fo racing is awesome. Complex courses would be a must as would somewhere to get airbourne a little. But the idea of racing a relatively scale looking car / course appeals to me. Buggies, stadium trucks etc are all fun, but SCT was the first time that RC racing trucks really started to look like real vehicles rather than balloon tired toy cars.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:03 PM

That’s a funny video. Reminds me of when I was a kid driving radio shack wired controlled cars, chasing behind them and at times tripping or stepping on them too. There has to be a better way.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nitro Pop
this is REALLY cool, but they honestly look like idiots running behind the car.

my idea for this would be FPV and have 2-3 marshals per section ((i.e. the section with the puddles would have a few marshals, the section with the bridge would have a few marshals, etc. etc.)) and FPV would only work if it and the transmitters could get a good long distance signal, and only if the FPV cam had VERY LOW or ZERO latency, and could get at least 30fps.
+1 FPV it may not be the very next thing....but it WILL come
I have a walkera ladybird with homemade fpv googles.....mounted it once on my rustler...pretty cool!

Originally Posted by bcredneck
jesus christ plz dont let this become the next big thing why cant they do a rallycross track with a driver stand or something normal look at them running around i wonder how many have stomped there car into the ground doing that this is probley the only form of rc where the driver can get hurt id laugh my ass off if one of them tripped and did a faceplant
ROFLMAO!!