Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Cause and effects of tall gears on brushless

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cause and effects of tall gears on brushless

Provided my parts show up this weekend, I'm hoping to get out and do my snow speed runs.
The target is 60mph which I'm confident I'll hit easily.
Once this is done, I'm going to try the Turnigy 2 cell speed challange.
I'm going to go from a 26/76 gearing on the rustler to 40/76 (that is the tallest gears I have on hand).

What I am looking for is how I should expect the motor to react and anything I should Be concerned with.
I have never ran really tall gears on a brushless. On brushed, the torque or punch goes for a dive.
On brushless, I'm expecting motor heat and more current draw, but beyond that, I don't know how to expect the motor to react.
For this snow run, I need to be smooth and somewhat gradual on acceleration or I'll loose control. A brushed motor reaction would be fine for this, but brushless?

On a side note, it should be about -15'C out with snow dust keeping the motor cool.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just keep an eye on temps...

One thing that will effect temps is hard acceleration.

gearing up what to expect..... The motor will be more powerful, most of the time u will see more torque and more top speed.
It will preform roughly the same as now but with a higher top speed. One thing to watch sometimes/generally wheel spin will become a bigger issue at higher speeds. I might find u can't go full throttle untill it's traveling faster then before...

U shouldn't have any real big issues with brining up the acceleration smoothly like with a brushed setup.... But the initial take off will be effected. U will find the minimum speed of the car before it cogs will increase. It can make the initial take off some what difficult especially if its bogged in snow
Also u will find u have more clogging when the car is stationary and u apply light throttle.

all this is really dependant on gearing....
Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you pretty much confirmed what I am expecting.
I'm running 1 cell less then the motor's max, so I'm hoping the will help with heat as well as the cooler ambient temp and snow dust. I don't plan to run the tall 40/76 on the 4s, but will on the 2s. On 4s I'm looking at 26/76 gearing, which will have plenty of room for lose .

For take off and acceleration, it has to be smooth and gradual or the car can and will just burry itself.