Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

receiver question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default receiver question

I'm on my 4th receiver for the flysky gt3b I've pulled them apart to inspect the antenna and it all looks fine. No cuts or sharp bends on it either.
Are these receivers just that bad or am I doing something wrong? They aren't overloaded and the batteries in the remote and from ESC are all OK. The antenna sticks out and isn't all over the ground. It hasn't gotten wet or anything. Just sitting in the receiver box and that's it
Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the symptoms? Totally dead, loss of range? The last time I had a few receivers fail in rapid succession it actually turned out to be a bad servo that killed them within minutes.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
What are the symptoms? Totally dead, loss of range? The last time I had a few receivers fail in rapid succession it actually turned out to be a bad servo that killed them within minutes.
We had one member that had failures one after another with flysky RX's like that years ago in his case turned out the ESC was putting the full battery voltage into the ESC as it had no BEC built in...
Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 PM

I've had 2 go bad in my exo and one in a redcat rs10
The exo has a hobbywing sc8 with a savox 1256tg and the rs10 was just stock.
I've got my new receiver in my wraith with a MMP and some water proof 625wp horizon hobby servo. Its doing OK so far.
Symptoms are loss of range, maybe 30-40ft away from me then just dead, when I walk up to it its fine and starts going again.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:04 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Well if you've got a loss of range on 4 receivers all in different vehicles I'd say odds are the receivers are fine. Instead have a look at the transmitter. Maybe it got roughed up more than you realize and something broke or came loose inside.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:51 PM

What would have happened to the controller? Could I fix whatever it is? I can solder.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

if you want to look if it were me I'd look at where the antenna connects to the board, and see if the antenna wire is damaged if its properly soldered to the board. It potentially could be damaged where it bends.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:48 AM

I'll check it when I get home then thank you!
I didn't think about the antenna wire on the controller going bad even though it bends up and down all the time blonde moment I guess
Old 09-24-2014, 08:26 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Also check the antenna wire itself with an ohm meter for continuity, it may have a break. (Although four occurring at once would be weird)
How old is your servo? I've had servos go bad that caused all kinds of wierd action in the car. A bad servo can "brown-out" your receiver and cause weird things to happen, including killing the receiver.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:24 PM

The one in my exo is a savox 1256tg its at least a year old that I know of but I've only driven my exo like 15 times.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is the problem with 4 receivers or are u only having the problem with 1 receiver?

antenna wire is different to normal wire, its a lot like coax. it has a inner core and a outer shield. and at the tip the inner core is exposed about a inch
in not saying this is the problem but its the biggest cause of range issues in all brands receivers....
the biggest problem is the tip of the wire braking off, (the exposed part) meaning that the inner core is completely covered.

here is a example of how to repair a broken tip. as u can see the outer shield has been striped back and the excess shield still needs to be cut off.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:58 PM

I'll have to check the one in my exo. That's the only one that I still have left. The one for my tornado s30 did this too.