Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler gearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler gearing

I just got my system in the mail for my rustler a couple days ago.- a castle mamba monster esc with tenshock sc401 3400kv motor

problem- gearing, I geared it 32 pitch : 23t with 52 traxxas spur- the only gearing I had
The motor got a little warm when running through the grass for a couple minutes but the esc was cold. I ordered an 8t 5mm bore axial 32p pinion to help temps lower but the gear doesn't fit. It's too small. I plan to swap it out for an 11t pinion because it goes into the motor shaft instead of over it.

Can anyone confirm 11t /52t works or barely fits with magnum transmission?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I was with you up to where you said "...because it goes into the shaft instead of over it." Then I lost ya. I also wasn't clear about your 52T spur. Is that 32-pitch? Or 48-pitch? The Rustler is very much like the Evader, and its stock gearing, in 48-pitch, is 20T/88T. I'd assume your stock gearing was about the same. I also assumed that the 8T pinion you got "didn't fit" because it was too small in diameter to mesh with the spur gear. (Not enough range of movement in the motor mount) Or, that the spur gear is too small? I need more information.

Did you match up the original spur gear DIAMETER to the new one? If so, then you probably have the right spur gear. Finding a pinion gear that fits your motor shaft with the right gear pitch is what you need to do. And that can be confusing to find. I got an OFNA Hyper 10TT a while back. It has 32-pitch gears. The stock pinion was 12T, I wanted to try a 13T. I went to the LHS and asked for a "13T 32-pitch pinion gear". Got it home, and found that this new gear was smaller than the original! ***? Turns out, these gears are not just 32-pitch, they're Mod 1 32-pitch. So I couldn't use the one I bought. Additionally, Mod 1 pinions are also usually meant for 5mm motor shafts. My motor had a 3.5mm shaft, so I had no choice but to order a 13T pinion gear from OFNA, because they were the only place I could find a Mod 1 32-pitch pinion for a 3.5mm motor shaft.

I hope you have an infra-red thermometer. If you don't, get one. That is how you determine your proper gearing. If the motor is too hot, gear down. If the ESC is too hot, gear UP. Generally you don't want your motor to get over 180F, and a running temp around 140-150F is fine and normal. The ESC should run around 125-130F.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all 32p. I stripped my 48p spur with my brushed system so I gave up on it too weak especially for brushless not to mention a 5mm 48p pinion is not made. 5mm motor shafts go to too high of torque motors. If you look at the 8 t pinion I was talking of : 32p, the teeth aren't spaced enough to go all the way over the motor shaft. The teeth are surprisingly skinny. The 11t pinion I was looking at on ebay goes into the motor shaft meaning it has a hole all of the way through the pinion. I could make the 8t work for my application if I bought at least a 54t spur 32p and it would barely work but I am unsure. My way of looking at it is if I get a low enough gear ratio I won't have to worry about heat issues hence why I bought the system I did. I don't want to get a larger spur for fear of my slash 4x4 rear drive shafts may scrape it up when the suspension is fully compressed on my rusty. The tenshock 3400 has a 5mm shaft.
yes you are correct there is not enough space in the motor mount to allow 8t/52t ratio but I think 11/52 works

Last edited by [email protected]; 10-07-2014 at 01:34 PM.