Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Associated RC8.2e Pinion Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Associated RC8.2e Pinion Question

I just ordered the RC8.2e buggy today with a 2250kv brushless motor. I am totally clueless on what size pinion gear to use. I want something in the middle of the curve. I am going to be using it primarily on the street and sometimes put it in dirt or a track. Im using a 4S battery. Any ideas?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:15 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The buggy does come with a pinion gear, does it not? That's where you start. You should have an IR thermometer to measure your motor temps as you run. The motor shouldn't get over 160-170F. THey'll run fine between 120-145F. So, if your get half way thru a battery and and the temps measure in the ideal range, you're good. If it measures high, then get a pinion gear with one or two fewer teeth. That is how you gear your car.

You should also measure motor temps every so often, after you've gotten it geared properly. It's a good way to detect a binding bearing that needs replacing. If your car runs consistently around 130F and you notice one day (under similar conditions of course) that it's running hot around 150F, you'd best check your bearings, or anything else that may be causing drag on the motor.