Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Seeking advice for re-entry

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice for re-entry

Been out of the hobby for a few years guys and hoping to get a bit of guidance on which model to get for my “wants”. I have owned many many types and platforms in the past but seem to gravitate towards losi and associated. I would love to dive headfirst into a tekno but feel it will end up being too involved and or costly. So what I am thinking is 2wd and 1/10 scale so I can reasonably run 2s batteries and have fun for relatively low cost and commitment. I wont be racing. If I decide to....I will build a rig specifically for that. So I am looking for something maybe last years model or whatever but that wont be discontinued soon so I wont have trouble finding parts for the next few years. I dont care a ton which platform but have always love stadium trucks and 1/8 buggies. Not opposed to trying a sct even though they seem kinda clunky. Would a sc6.1 or rc10t5m be a good choice in yalls opinion? Maybe a losi s22? Is that the right number? Open to suggestions Thanks for any input.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi thekorstjens well since you been out of the hobby a few years yes you have some good choices imo you can go with losi 22.5 .0 losi 22.4.0 , team associated b6.1 b6.2 , if you want to go into 4WD 1/10 scale the new losi 22x4 team associated b64 , b74
plenty of parts for these also good for bashing and racing too , yes the tekno eb410 and the et410 are a good also for bashing and racing too , you can look into these various models losi bugies , team associated buggies and tekno buggies truggies go throught their paces on you tube , the 1/8 scale buggies tekno eb48.4.0 is very good buggy also . ok mugey
The following users liked this post:
Thekorstjens (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 06:22 PM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Thekorstjens
Been out of the hobby for a few years guys and hoping to get a bit of guidance on which model to get for my “wants”. I have owned many many types and platforms in the past but seem to gravitate towards losi and associated. I would love to dive headfirst into a tekno but feel it will end up being too involved and or costly. So what I am thinking is 2wd and 1/10 scale so I can reasonably run 2s batteries and have fun for relatively low cost and commitment. I wont be racing. If I decide to....I will build a rig specifically for that. So I am looking for something maybe last years model or whatever but that wont be discontinued soon so I wont have trouble finding parts for the next few years. I dont care a ton which platform but have always love stadium trucks and 1/8 buggies. Not opposed to trying a sct even though they seem kinda clunky. Would a sc6.1 or rc10t5m be a good choice in yalls opinion? Maybe a losi s22? Is that the right number? Open to suggestions Thanks for any input.
Plug the parameters of what you want into a few online hobby stores and this is about what you'll get...https://www.amainhobbies.com/unassem...s-trucks/c2576
https://shop.thercproshop.com/pr-rac...truck-kit.html

I'd say you are on the right track when having a tendency to go towards Losi/Associated route. I know I seek out "racing breed" kits to build and "bash". Mainly it is because of the the better components that are included in those kits.

I don't know what type of budget you had in mind, but I will throw this out at you...if you always loved stadium trucks, and then you had a chance to add 4wd into the mix of things...awesomeness awaits you.​​​​​​​
Thekorstjens (06-30-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 08:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder, if you're not planning to race it, why are you looking at race buggies for re-entry? That's not going to be kind to your wallet.

I just got a Kyosho Rage 2.0 (4WD 1/10 truggy) for $180 for my daughter. It's AMAZINGLY good. It has a 550 brushed motor, a full set of bearings, good suspension, good transmitter. Everything but the battery & charger, and it uses the cheap 2S 5 Ah packs. (comes with a generic Deans on the ESC) They just came back into stock at Tower, too.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
I wonder, if you're not planning to race it, why are you looking at race buggies for re-entry? That's not going to be kind to your wallet.

I just got a Kyosho Rage 2.0 (4WD 1/10 truggy) for $180 for my daughter. It's AMAZINGLY good. It has a 550 brushed motor, a full set of bearings, good suspension, good transmitter. Everything but the battery & charger, and it uses the cheap 2S 5 Ah packs. (comes with a generic Deans on the ESC) They just came back into stock at Tower, too.
really not trying to race yet. Mostly just dont know many of the current models. I have recently discovered Arrma and am actually leaning heavily towards one of their rtr kits at this point.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thekorstjens
really not trying to race yet. Mostly just dont know many of the current models. I have recently discovered Arrma and am actually leaning heavily towards one of their rtr kits at this point.
Their entry level stuff has junk electronics. The servos die immediately, and sometimes the speed controls too... If you go Aarma, be ready for that with better electronics or get a brushless model with the better electronics.
Thekorstjens (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
Their entry level stuff has junk electronics. The servos die immediately, and sometimes the speed controls too... If you go Aarma, be ready for that with better electronics or get a brushless model with the better electronics.
yea brushless would be my only choice after having brushless setups in the past I dont think I can go backwards.

Last edited by Thekorstjens; 07-02-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:39 PM

I am a fan of Traxxas RTR kits. They have the Rustler 4x4 VXL brushless kit, there is also the Slash as well. Might be up your alley.