Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Light Speed Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Speed Motor

Damn guys just installed a 10x3 in the TC3, reset the GT7 and put in a SMC Gold Peak 3300mah six pack and holy crap the car is like a ROCKET, I dont generally run mods but for the heck of it I thought that I would check it out very happy with it, RED
Old 12-26-2004, 02:25 AM

Default RE: Light Speed Motor

I have a Lightspeed 14x4 short can with a p-94 endbell. Custom made for me a while back by the original builder before he passed away. It's by FAR the best brushed motor I've ever had. I've heard mixed feelings about the newer ones, since they're no longer built by the same guy. Did you get a new one, or is yours a used one that may have been built by the 'master'.

They definitely aren't something you see every day, but I'm with you, red - they're freakin' awesome!
Old 12-26-2004, 02:36 AM

Well I was told that it is one of the older ones . my buddie that is a manager at Hobbie Town gave me a call the other day and said that he had one that had been sitting around for sometime never run and asked me if i wanted it for 30. bux. so I said ya not really knowing anything about LightSpeed other than him telling me that they were a good motor. Very happy with it. RED
Old 12-26-2004, 02:44 AM

$30 bux... why doesn't this happen to me?

Lightspeed is just a little shop in Arlington TX, and they make some serious custom motors (as you noticed). Basically, if you want to have a new one made, you tell them all the specs on the car, describe the track, expected weather conditions, etc. of the race you plan to use the motor for, and they hand-wind the armature and set up the brushes, springs, etc. exactly the way you need it. I don't know if it works exactly like that now, but that's the way the old guy did things.

You sure don't get that from towerhobbies! I guess for the rich fellow that can't rebuild a motor, you could send it in for a tune every race weekend! [X(]

Anyway, I definitely love mine, and I'm glad to see someone else out there runnin' one. I don't know what kind of voodoo they put in 'em, but they're bad@$$
Old 12-26-2004, 07:35 PM

Cow what brushes are you running and have you had to cut the comm. yet, RED
Old 12-26-2004, 08:07 PM

I run the p-94 brushes (only thing that fits that endbell) and I drill a small hole in the brush face. I've had mine for quite a while and cut the comm several times.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:39 AM

I just built an XXX-4 and put the Lightspeed 13 turn double in along with a Duratrax Intellispeed 8t ESC.

I use 6 cell GP3300 packs, and the thing FLIES. So torquey with plenty of speed.

But the problem is, this is my first hobby class electric(I also have an RC10B4 Factory Team, but i got it the same time I got my XXX-4), i'm coming from years of nitro experience, so i'm not a newbie, but what maintenence will I have to do on this motor, and what should I pick up?

I know you have to cut the comm or something after a while, but can anyone recommend a fairly cheap comm lathe and some tips on keeping this motor in good working condition?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:46 AM

Make sure to keep it clean with some motor spray. (not automotive brake cleaner)

You'll notice a decrease in performance after running it for awhile, and when it starts getting worse, you'd better cut the comm. and check for brush wear. There's a lot to tuning a motor, so if you're not familiar with it or don't have the proper tools, you might take it to your lhs and have it done. A decent used comm lathe will run about $100.

Here are some links to motor maintainence that will be helpful:
http://www.hobbytalk.com/modules.php...ticles&secid=3
http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html