Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
 Newb needs advice on radio, esc, motor, battery, charger! >

Newb needs advice on radio, esc, motor, battery, charger!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Newb needs advice on radio, esc, motor, battery, charger!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb needs advice on radio, esc, motor, battery, charger!

I built a RC10 about 12 yrs ago. Now, I am about 80% finished building a brand new Team Associated Factory Team (the FT is VERY nice compared to stock!) RC10B3 buggy Kit. The next step is to install the servo, etc. So, I'm at the point where I need to make decisions on the following the way I am understanding the hobby:

1. Radio and servo
2. Motor
3. Speed Control
4. Battery
5. Battery Charger

A little about what I hope/plan to do to help you with recommendations:

* I plan to "play" with this buggy ... no plans on any serious racing. I may find some local tracks (in or near Louisville, KY??) for some track time ... but nothing more than just fun.
* In my regular scale toys (i.e. car, motorcycle, etc.) I like torque and quickness ... whereas top end speed means very little. So, getting up to speed quickly is more important than all out top end.
* I consider this my "entrance" into the R/C hobby
* My plan, for the time being, is to become somewhat familiar with the hobby ... and then consider moving into the larger scale cars and boats ... such as 1/4 to 1/6 scale (i.e. Marauder and Firestorm)
* I do NOT have a limitless budget. That doesn't mean I want the bottom of the barrel however. A "quick" motor ... with average top-end is fine. How fast a battery charges isn't all that important since I won't be racing. The radio doesn't need to have every possible gizmo. I have no idea why or if I would ever need more than 2 AM channels ... or why I would ever need FM channels vs. AM channels. I don't know enough about the hobby to make these decisions yet.
* I'm a 30 something guy ... so I don't care about having the "coolest" equipment or the "latest and greatest" FAD as far as type of vehicle, etc. I am looking for pure enjoyment ...

Your recommendations are very much appreciated.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:53 AM

Default RE: Newb needs advice on radio, esc, motor, battery, charger!

Welcome back! The RC10 captured a lot of us early on, and we're still playing with these toys in our old age! (I'm 34, so I think I can see most of your point of view here)

Hopefully I can give you some ideas on where to start. These are based on my personal experience, and considering that you're not looking for the latest and greatest just to say you have it.

Radio tx/rx and servo: I'd look at the Futaba 2PL. It's an awesome 2 channel AM setup for a great price. You can get the tx, rx, and a standard steering servo for about $70 all in one package. The 2pl has a digital display, has memory for 10 models, and I'm with you on am vs. fm - As long as they make radios like this with a range of 1/2 mile, I don't need to spend the $$$ on FM. The 2PL is what I currently use and I can't see any reason to change. The included servo is pretty much 'standard', but it'll get you going, and may never give you any trouble. If you're pretty rough on your buggy, you may strip the gears and need to move up to a metal gear servo.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXENN3**&P=ML

Motor: I'd stick with a 19 turn or even a stock 27 turn motor at this point. They have more torque, and last a lot longer between maintainence tasks. With those you also leave yourself open for speed control choices, because even the lowest priced ones can handle a stock motor, and most can run a 19T as well. For more torque, I'd leave the spur gear as it is, but get a set of pinions so that you can tinker with acceleration vs. speed. A smaller pinion will give you more torque, larger gets more top speed. Here are some ideas:

Stock motor: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDDA1&P=ML (my fav stock motor)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVJ2&P=ML (another widely popular stock motor)
19T motor: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFBH5&P=ML (about the best choice for a 19 turn)
esc: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAXT8&P=ML (this one will run down to a 16T motor, so you have some room to grow on, and it has reverse if you want that option)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBJ60&P=ML (this is another great choice with the option of reverse and 16T limit)
Batteries: only one real choice here - GP3300's - they're NiMH, which will be a lot easier to maintain, have great run times, super-high voltage, and all that aside, just about anyone who is serious about their rc cars or trucks uses these - novices or pros. The best price you'll find is at http://www.maxamps.com - 6 cell pack with your choice of connector for about $25.
Charger: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUF43&P=ML (this would be my personal recommendation due to price, features, and the reputation of the brand) You want a peak charger for NiMH batteries, and this one will do it. Also discharges them for you without having to worry about going too far and ruining them. This is a great value.

Hopefully this helps - at least you'll have plenty to think about!

Let us know if you need more help. I'm sure you'll get a lot more recommendations over the next couple of days, and as you have questions, just let us know!
Old 12-28-2004, 01:06 AM

Thanks a ton aliens8mycow! Yep ... I think this is the only forum (compared to woodworking or computer forums) where being in your mid 30's (I'm 35 ! ) is "old" age! LOL

I look forward to looking into your recommendations. I know that a blanket and 'open' inquiry like mine isn't always the easiest to respond to ... so thanks for such a thorough and helpful reply!

I'll be sure to report back with how things go.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:25 AM

There are a lot of friendly and helpful folks here - you'll get a lot more replies tomorrow!

I got hooked on this stuff before the rc10 came along - I had a few cox and tamiya vehicles before the rc10 gold tub, but when my Dad was helping me put the rc10 together, I'll never forget him stopping to say "now this... this is the real thing." From that moment on, all we did was argue over who got to drive it!

Everything I mentioned for you to consider is equipment that I have used, do use, or would use if I had a use for it. It's also top-quality equipment from reputable name brands that offer excellent products and back them up with great warranties. They are also 'affordable' items (even though the total adds up quickly with everything together!)

One other thing to consider, depending on how much you like to tinker with stuff -- the motor will require a lot of maintainence and upkeep to keep it running in top condition. Since you're buying a motor, esc, the whole bit, you might seriously consider a brushless motor/esc. That's a newer technology which doesn't use brushes, so there's no more maintainence than putting a drop of oil on the bearings once in a while. Novak makes a couple of great combos that have everything you need all in one package, and for a little more money, you'll save a ton of work over the long run. They also have incredible torque and more top end that a brushed motor. Here are a couple of the Novaks:

Super Sport -- this is the hot one. $215
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDDD7&P=ML

Super Stock -- this is more comparable to a stock motor, but without the work. $180
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGDP6&P=ML

These will set you back about twice the price of a brushed motor and esc that I listed, but they'll make up the difference in a year by the time you either buy a lathe to cut your comm ($100 or more) or pay a local shop $5 per cut, and buy brushes every time they wear down. Definitely worth considering!
Old 12-28-2004, 01:37 AM

aliens8mycow,

I saw another post about the brushless motors and did look them up on Novak's site. I am quite interested and it makes sense to go brushless. But, like most (especially newbs like me) folks ... getting over the initial price tag is sometimes more difficult than paying 1/2 now ... and over time putting a few bucks into it. My local hobby shop is really pushing the Peak Racing Vantage 12t motor they have in stock. He did say that Orion makes a similar motor .. with the angled brushes ... or whatever the 'newer' technology is on those motors. But, then he started talking about the rebuilds and the more expensive ESC I'd need to run the faster motors. Thoughts? Which of the Novak brushless motor systems would you choose? If my memory serves me correctly, the less expensive one isn't all that fast from my reading. Is the extra $35 worth it? It would seem to be.

Do you buy equipment and accessories online? If so, where are the overall best shops? It seems like Tower Hobbies is one of the more popular online e-tailers. I do nearly all of my shopping for just about everything online ... so I prefer it. But, if my local shop can come close ... I'm happy to give a local business owner some business as well (I'm a small business owner also ... so I like to keep it in the community when possible).

I, too, was leaning toward the Futaba radios based on all the posts I've read on this forum. Seems like a nice mainstream radio ... with good reliability, etc.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:06 AM

Well, I swore off of brushed motors this winter. By spring, I'll have a brushless motor in everything I own. I even put a brushless motor in my son's x-mod!

The novak is a good place to start with brushless. I would agree that if you're gonna do it, the 5800 is the way to go. I don't personally use the novak due to the voltage limit on the esc. It will only run 6 or 7 cells. For your buggy, that's what you want. I tend to go overboard, though, and I like the 10 or 12 cell idea better. I'm currently finishing up an RC10L pan car project with a schulze 18.97 esc and a Feigao 5915kv motor. It'll run up to 18 cells! I'll probably stick with 12, which will push the limits of the bearings in the motor. Considering the price difference and the fact that a B3 really only has room for 6 cells or 7 if you stuff an extra one in, the novak is perfect.

The Peak Vantage and Orion Revolution motors are great in that the brushes last longer (about 2-3 times longer than a standard motor). There isn't much of a performance gain, though, and they cost about twice the price of the stock motors we talked about. You'll also need an esc that costs about twice as much... that puts you close to the price of the novak, which will outrun and has more torque than the 12T orion or peak motor.

I do most of my buying online. towerhobbies is great, and I buy/sell a lot on eBay. The local shops are great if I'm in a hurry, but I try to keep enough spares around that I don't find myself in a pinch.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:44 AM

Would agree with aliens8mycow

Brushless is the way to go for low maintenance and performance/duration...

Got several brushless motors in planes and the ability to just run and forget is a godsend...

If you can afford it, I would not bother looking at brushed when you arent gonna race...

New brushes, skimming the comm etc is a pain when your just bashing