Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Voltage Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 01:43 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Question

Hey everyone I had a quick question that has to do with my charger.....I finally got a competition level charger that will give me some feedback from my packs. I started to charge everything I could get my hands on to see how she did. I successfully charged a 6 cell 3300mah pack then I tried to charge my 7 cell 3300mah packs (and yes I did change the settings to a 7 cell pack) and both of them false peaked and were blistering hot after about 300 seconds and only 500mah of charge. I am currently charging an old 1500mah sport pack just for kicks and it seems to be ok but here is my real question. When charging it says that the voltage is like 9.39 volts for a 6 cell pack and it was about the same for the 7 cell packs. shouldn't it be approx. 1.2X# of cells? so about 7.2 for the 6 cells and 8.4 for the 7 cell packs? What gives.[:-][:'(]
Old 12-31-2004, 02:39 AM

Default RE: Voltage Question

Ok I put on a 7 cell pack that is in a little bit better shape and although it too has a screwed up voltage according to the charger it is charging just fine, not overheating and is just hunky dory except that it is impossible to have a 7 cell pack that is 10.217 volts! I don't know what is going on here, am I going crazy or what? (1.2 X 7 cells=8.4 not 10.217)
Old 12-31-2004, 07:06 AM

The cells acheive a higher voltage under no load while charging. I have a six cell pack that goes as far as my power supply will take it (just past 12V). Older packs are more affected by this than new ones, but it happens to most.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the input, I figured out the same thing. I thought that it was showing resting voltage but it isn't it's showing peak voltage. Thanks for clearing that up though.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:22 PM

thats normal