Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless LRP Sphere and Reedy Neo one

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless LRP Sphere and Reedy Neo one

Hello,

Does someone have experience with this system ? Since it's rather expensive I want to know.

Does the ESC get hot ? My novak SS5800 ESC get's realy hot and shuts down regularly because of that.
If the ESC Sphere stays cool I want one.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:31 AM

Default RE: Brushless LRP Sphere and Reedy Neo one

I only know of 1 person, here in the States that got a Sphere and Neo One. He had to send it in for service, a few days after he recieved it. Everyone else is still waiting on back-order....

I have no data to compare it to a Novak SS 5800. But, If I had to take an educated guess, I'd estimate that it's performance will be similar to the other yet to be released Novak GTB system, with a 6.5 motor. Fast, and impressive, but still not as impressive as a Feigao, hacker or Lehner motor.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Easy rider

Hello,

Does someone have experience with this system ? Since it's rather expensive I want to know.

Does the ESC get hot ? My novak SS5800 ESC get's realy hot and shuts down regularly because of that.
If the ESC Sphere stays cool I want one.

Thanks.
maybe you have it geared toooo high ,, that is why it is heating up..
Old 08-25-2005, 07:17 PM

No , I haven't geared it to high at all. Everyone I know has that same problem with the ESC getting realy hot and I mean 120 - 130 °C

There is no way I can run it on an indoor track for longer than 3 minutes. If the SS5800 is equal to a 10T brushed motor how come cars with 19T motors pass me like there is no tomorrow ? That's the proof my car isn't geared to high at all. I run it with a 72 spur and 23 pinion.

LRP says that the Sphere can be used with all sensored brushless motors so maybe I'll give that a try.

David.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

What kind of car, what kind of tires and how many cells, if you are indeed gearing it correctly, I would be very surpized.
-Wes
Old 08-25-2005, 07:37 PM

Yeah if your not running a touring car you are seriously over geared.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:19 PM

Unless you are running a touring car with 2.45" tires, 72/23 gearing is a suicidal gear ratio. Running that on an ST, you're lucky your ESC hasn't gone Thermo-Nuclear.

Most guys running in the touring cars encounter heat problems, because of the body, not the ESC. Regardless of the manufacturer, and ESPECIALLY when they run very hot, mod motors. If you're running a touring car, cut some vent holes, and let the thing breathe!

If you're running a stadium truck, you need to rethink your gearing.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:08 PM

That's me that has a Sphere and Neo. Got it back yesterday. I sent it in because the setup button quit working correctly and the mode button didn't work real good. They sent me a new one. From the day I took it to the Post Office, I recieved the new on in 15 days. That's pretty good if you ask me. Well, I have ran 9 packs through it today in a XXT CR Graphite Plus geared at 14/88. That's a low 16.4 final ratio. After 7 1/2 minutes in 96 degree (heat index of 105*) in the middle of the day: the heat sink on the ESC got to 135. The hottest I ever got the motor was 152. This is cooler than the Novak 5800. BUT... after 3 packs, the MODE button started acting wierd. I have to click it just right to make it work right. I has not gotten worse after 6 more packs. This is the first LRP speed control I have ever owned. Does these buttons not work perfectly all the time or what? I'm going to keep running it as much as posible to see if the buttons get to where I can't change the different settings before the 90 day warranty runs out. If anybody has these LRP button problems, please let me know.

As far as speed and performance go, this thing hauls tator. More RPMs than the Novak 5800, but it is supposed to have more. I installed a fan to blow on my son's Novak 5800 because it gets so hot down here in Mississippi. I bought it in May of 2004 and it is still ripping today. He runs it in his buggy sometimes without a fan, but we cut a hole and put a scoop over it to keep it cool enough.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:15 PM

I thought it was you, NitroStar, but I couldn't remember.

I got your post about the scoop. Great idea. And probably more effective than my suggestion, anyway.

Sorry to hear about the problems with the new Sphere, though. I'd hope they had the bugs worked out by now.

Do you have access to a Dyno? I would love to see head to head numbers between the sphere and the Novak system....

The only suggestion I have for you about the heat, is move north. We topped out at 84 today, and it's going to 61 tonight. Ahh, Fall![sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 08-25-2005, 09:18 PM

I do not like winter time. I freeze up like rusted bolt!!! I'm going to keep a close eye on this Sphere to see if the buttons get worse. If they do, I will send it back again. I'm having fun running it though.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:38 PM

Just got my Neo-One and Sphere installed. (ordered the Neo-One from Tower, the Sphere from Ebay).

The ESC comes with a small heat sink, and I purchased the FT Heat Sink for the motor. With these installed, my system is running nice and cool. I haven't even cut holes in the body yet. I figure I'll still end up doing it, but I figured my aerodynamics would be better without the holes, if I could get away without them.

I had no problems with setup, though it does not come with very good instructions.

I've only run about 3 packs through the system, but so far, I've been very pleased.

Also, as I've posted elsewhere, getting the Neo-One and Sphere combo for my TC4 is nice because the Team Associated people are quick to answer a question over the phone. I suspect they would not be as responsive if I were running a different motor/ESC in their kit.

Master Blaster
Old 09-08-2005, 09:32 AM

Hey MasterBlaster, see if your setup and mode buttons work after running it a few times. The setup button and the mode button started messing up on one of mine and on another one, the mode button messed up while the setup button worked fine. The best way to check the buttons is with the radio turned off. You can see if the mode button works right when you click it because the other LED lights up when it is working. Then, if you enter the "mode", you can change the settings using the "setup" button. Let me know if you have any button problems.

NitroStar
Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 PM

bump
Old 09-17-2005, 01:08 AM

Yes I am running a touring car , a Yokomo SD SSG Special. The 70/23 gearing seems right to me. I would like to run a 20T pinion but the motor mount is to far away from the spur so the 23T is the smallest I can use with the 70 spur.

I installed a 5Volt fan this week and mounted it right on top of my ESC and it's a lot better now. I can even run it indoors without temperature problems. So after all it seems that I'm pleased.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:54 AM

I just bought the sphere today for 168 shipped, can't wait to put it in my T4, thinkin about gettin the neo one and a 10\2 team checkpoint....
Old 09-18-2005, 06:02 PM

I bought the LRP Sphere AND Neo one on ebay for 220$ yesterday , that seems a bargain to me. I know the seller because I bought from him before , great guy.

I can't wait to put it into my HPI Pro4 and see what happens.
I'll keep you informed how it goes.

Grtz.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:30 PM

I'm still waiting on mine to get back from Associated. "Mode" button problems.[]

NitroStar
Old 09-20-2005, 04:02 PM

I have had no problems with my Lrp and Reedy neo combonation, and i live in Miami were it is as hot as it gets
Old 09-20-2005, 07:09 PM

Well, I hope I do not have any problems with the new one they are supposed to send me. I sure did like the way it performed. It still ran fine when I sent it off, it's just that the "mode" button would not work right unless I pressed it at an angle, and sometimes that didn't even work. Then I would press it very hard and it would work. But, it sure ran great and cool compared to the Novak that we have.

NitroStar
Old 09-22-2005, 07:05 PM

That's the reason why I bought the Sphere. My Novak SS5800 runs great but you can fry an egg on the cooling fins ! I cannot run it indoors without a cooling fan or it termo shuts itself.
It just runs too hot to be good.

i hope the Sphere will be better and better performing.