Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Wal-mart or toys-r-us batteries for emergency backup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wal-mart or toys-r-us batteries for emergency backup?

Hey Everyone, I should have my Stampede in a few days (like tomorrow) but I have no idea when my batteries from Ballistic are going to come in...no tracking number and it doesn't look like they have charged my card yet. I sent them an email seeing when the batteries will ship...

Anyways, lets just say that I get my truck tomorrow and it doesn't look like I am going to get any batteries until next week. First, how hard should I kick myself for not ordering at least 1 of the 10.99 sport packs from Tower so that my package would include at least 1 battery? Second, what are my options for inexpensive batteries? I already have two GP3300 6-cell packs on order so I don't really want to drop another $35 on a battery pack...can I get by with a cheap wal-mart or toys-r-us battery pack or will it be so pathetic that I am better off just driving the 'pede around and making little motor sounds?

Oh well, live and learn...
Old 08-24-2005, 02:22 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Wal-mart or toys-r-us batteries for emergency backup?

radioshack sells cheapy 2000 and 3000 packs for i think $20-$25.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Yea that or go to you LHS and buy a shark battery for like 15 bucks and sit dowan with your legs open and ram the pede into your nuts full speed for puttin it thru hell
Old 08-24-2005, 02:29 PM

If you have a FRY's Electronics, I know we have them in Dallas and you of course live in Austin, they have some cruddy batts for cheap price.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:40 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Fry's is my favorite electronics store (I go to the one in austin BTW) they've got EVERYTHING, just dont try to a laptop fixed their [:'(] theyll tell you its been physically abused

Im sure they'd have some cheapy 6cell packs as they have alot of toy RC's. But since hobbytown is right there by it you might as well just go in there and pick up a sanyo 1500 pack, theyre like $15.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Banned

Hey Everyone, I should have my Stampede in a few days (like tomorrow) but I have no idea when my batteries from Ballistic are going to come in...no tracking number and it doesn't look like they have charged my card yet. I sent them an email seeing when the batteries will ship...
They are located in AZ I belive... AZ or TX, so as soon as they ship they should be there withen a day or so. Ballistic is a good company, one time they had to delay shipping on one of my packs and they upgraded them from basher 1.17+ to racing 1.19[8D] Which was cool because the shipping change didnt affect me much at all, I was at the beach the whole time with no R/C and no need for 3300's
Old 08-24-2005, 03:36 PM

I'll check out Hobbytown, I have been in there quite a few times and bought a few things from them. Pretty much just looking for a backup in case the other order doesn't go through before I get the truck. Otherwise I will just stare at it for a while...

I have no doubts that Ballistic is a good company, it is just a timing issue that's all. They are in AZ - which Phoenix to Austin is somewhere around 1000 miles so it still isn't that close...hopefully they get here before the truck.

The joys of mailorder - oh well, this isn't the first time I have gotten messed up from timing issues with mail order...you'd think I learned by now.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:24 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Well, if your LHS has [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXERB5&P=0]these battery packs[/link], they look like a steal to me. 3000 mAh for 17 bucks.

I mean, not as main packs, but as a backup pack.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 PM
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

borrow one, even an old one with a bad cell would be a great idea to help break in the motor anyways and let you get used to the truck for a run or two and get the radio set-up. If you were my neighbor I would give you one.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:42 PM

walmart doesnt sell the batteries, you have to buy the rc to get them.. and idk if toys r us sells batts either. but at my lhs i bought a 9.6v batt for nikko's and it was like a 20 $combo with the wall charger. if you already have a nikko pack then use it but dont go out and buy a nikko pack. but anyways glad to hear you bought a pede

ya just buy one from hobbytown if you cant find anyplace else. 13 bucks for a 1500 is not bad for a backup
Old 08-25-2005, 07:33 AM

Hey guver, thanks for the idea. I forgot that one of my friends has an old truck from high school and he is bound to still have a battery kicking around. I'll ask him about it. Otherwise it will be the cheapest NiCd I can find. (unless I find a NiHM even cheaper).

Just checked and it looked like my order was being processed :-) Maybe they will make it to my house at the same time!