Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

accurate scales

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accurate scales

have youz guyz heard of digital scales that will measure 1/100ths of an oz. and if so, where?

Old 08-28-2005, 01:14 AM

Default RE: accurate scales

Yes, I have one... I use it mostly for electric flight.
One thing to remember about ultra sensitive scales is that it can be too much of a good thing.
Oil and perspiration on your fingers will effect weights if you leave a print on the scale or parts to be weighed. If there is a draft in the room, that will cause the scale to fluctuate. I'd have to look and see where I got mine..it was from an online hobby store though...
You'll see the super accurate scale chemists use typically have a glassed in chamber that objects are placed in to weigh. The whole scale sits in the chamber, so outside particles and drafts don't throw weights off.
If you choose this type of accuracy, thoroughly clean the parts to be weighed and wear rubber gloves when handling the parts and the scale. Even the gloves should be cleaned...the powder residue on gloves will again, throw your weights off.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:55 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Get a triple beam balance...it weighs in grams.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:09 AM
Banned

Not off topic at all. Many guys I race with use scales. I don't know of any that are THAT accurate though. Try a scientific supply house. Ain't gonna be cheap though.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Banned

I doubt that the food weighers are that accuret but thats what I would get, I saw one that was good down to .01oz thats good enough for me I would have gotten it, but it was like 60$ and the only reason it was that much was because it could calulate fat and carb of the food... or somthing crazy like that.
-Wes
Old 08-28-2005, 10:39 AM

You might find one here.[link=http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=1&Categoryid=9211&categorystring=9315 ***731***]Reloading Scales[/link]

Most of these scales are accurate to 1/10 of a grain, there are 437.5 grains to an ounce; 0.1 grain is 0.00022857143 ounce. Also, if you have any gun shops around, ask if they know where to get a scale for reloading. While they measure in grams and grains, it's simple to convert it to ounces. For that matter, this site has grains in it's measurement conversion.
[link=http://hemsidor.torget.se/users/b/bohjohan/convert/conv_e.htm#weight]Measurement conversions[/link]
Old 08-28-2005, 12:04 PM

IVE GOT ONE THAT IS ACCURATE TO 0.1 OZ . it good enough to detect the difference between a 18t pinion and a 20.did you know that losi kingpins are 30%lighter than step pins.that reloading one would prob suit my needs.i actually reload shotgun shells w a mec 6oo loader but you dont have to weigh anything when you use it, but next time i go to reloaders supply i will look for some(im in there when i need wads or primers and powder. that one atomheartmother describes probably would be overkill for me. and tanks for the reply munkey(for real).
Old 08-28-2005, 01:37 PM

I was also going to suggest a reloading scale (I have the Lee scale, it isn't that fancy but it is accurate and keeps me from blowing myself up and is accurate to 1/10 grain). But that only goes to 100 grains. Some of the nicer scales go up to 1000 grains (useful for measuring completed cartridges). You should probably get yourself a nice reloading scale anyways, even though I use a powder measure, I always feel safer checking the charge every 50 rounds or so.

What is the max weight you are looking to measure? Just pinion gears or are you trying to go from a pinion gear all the way up to a full vehicle? I think that is what will determine what sort of scale you need...I would assume that a postage scale would go to the 0.1 oz as well.

Best of luck!
Old 08-28-2005, 01:58 PM

I have an RCBS 5/10 beam scale. I just weighed an 18 tooth pinion from RRP, 44.6 grains, and a 19 tooth from RRP weighs 47.9 grains. It can weigh up 510 grains with is 1.1657143 ozs. If all your weighing is pinions, pretty much any of the beam scales should serve you well.

Just curious though, I can't say I've ever talked to anyone that doesn't check the charge weight every so often though just to make sure you're getting the right charges.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:23 PM

yea, id like to be able to go up to about 10lbs, but also be accurate enough to check small individual parts also.

and the reason i never check the weight of charge is that the loader i use implements a device known as a charge bar. its a block of aluminum that you fit a bushing into each end, one for powder, and the other for shot. they are available in different volume displacements and are sized so a powder bushing cant be used in place of the shot bushing and vice versa.this simple device makes it impossible to double charge a shell during the reloading proccess.(pretty much standard in shotshell reloader but WAY different than rifle and pistol round reloaders where every powder charge is measured and weighed.