Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

drive strategy

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive strategy

i have a buggy and race on a dirt track. just wondering some strategy on passing and other things like that.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:43 AM

Default RE: drive strategy

excellent topic. have you ever raced before?
Old 09-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Banned

Go fast, turn left, then right then left, then left, then straght, then left, right, left, left, left, then start again!
-Wes
Old 09-03-2005, 12:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

try and pass on the inside of turns
Old 09-03-2005, 12:36 PM

first time racer
Old 09-03-2005, 12:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

yea thats what i try and do is pass on the straight aways and inside of turns
Old 09-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

If you have everything set up right and have the power a very good move is to take them on the inside right after a turn.If you go into a turn with enough speed and they slow down your guna take them their too.Also you acing oval or off-raod.If offraod, what works form me alot is get right up behind them and draft.The when you come up to a fat jump floor it and go right over him.Youll get the crown all rowd up too with ooooooooooos and ahhhhhhhhhhhs
Old 09-03-2005, 11:48 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Man I tried that inside stuff it worked at first then the blocked I tapped then next lap went on the out side so know when I come up on them and I am faster or a better driver then the person in front of me I go on the outside with noobs they cause alot of problems so I just go when I can which is about after I catch them like when I start in the back when I am late half track. So I would say if you know what to do on a race track just make your own calls and when the guy in front of you screws up because you are keeping the pressure on him pass then or when you feel like you cant pass on the inside but know you can pass on the outside go for it
Old 09-04-2005, 12:01 AM

im gonna do a thread on this topic 2morrw in speedmunkeys sticky thread. ive raced for about twenty odd years and will discuss all my tips and tricks for offroad racing.i will also be open to inserting any good tactics others here have and maybe put there name in as a contributer to my article or something.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

My favorite tactic is to draft them about a foot back, then fall back...... Then floor it and come up on them very quickly. Most drivers will panic when they see that burst of speed and try to cut the corner too soon. I try to never open my motor all the way up in a race, only using the minimum I have to in order to maintain a lead. Then, you have a reserve to fall back on when you need it.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:13 AM

yea thats a tactic that i had not thought about putting in my little race tactics thread. (the power conservation trick). but it should be there because i have done the same thing with a comfortable lead. i also like the mental aspect of your other tactic where you just let them know your back there, your faster, and your going to get around them and it makes them make a mistake. it is intimidation and its a wonderful tactic! (can you say earnhardt)!!
Old 09-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

Yeap, old Dale Sr. knew how to win a race. Too bad his kid only got the money when the old man bought it =(

That tactic only works on less than pro drivers though. Most will be doing the same power conservation tactic, and when you fall back, they'll pull ahead. Not a good combination. But, if you are running a bunch of newbs, it's brilliant.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:18 PM

Yes it is the best thing since siliced bread.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:29 PM

Three helpful tips I've learned even with my lack of experience:
1) Cut the corner close, It will shorten distance you have to travel around the track and really will shorten the lap times.
2) Stay on the track, this is easier said then done when trying to follow tip #1, and will really really help your lap times.

I'm very interested in any other tips, because I can use them.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:41 PM

Stay consistenley on the gas dont over shot coners and try not to use the brakes to much all when necassary try carrying your spped from turn to turn and ooo yeah dont show off in a race because you will break faster
Old 09-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

I actually disagree BTWT, on the "stay on the gas" part. I use just enough throttle to drive the truck smoothly and maintain my lead. Yes, there are times you gotta stand on it, but you are more prone to going in too hot if you are trying too hard.

Old racing proverbs to live by.............

Slow down, go faster..

and.........

To finish first, you must first finish..
Old 09-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Banned

That staying off the gas does NOT count when you race stock monky.I mean Im alot faster then most so I could if I wanted But I LOVE to win races by 5 laps and have the announcer say."And we got Skyler with 5 laps ahead and still kicking ass".
Old 09-04-2005, 08:13 PM

That is how I race my t4 with newbies but when I race my 8th scale at mt wot slam on brakes wot and so on because there are at least 6 people in the mt class at 10 in the 8th scale class
Old 09-04-2005, 08:25 PM

Slow down, go faster. Don't overdrive the truck into the corners. Too many people only have 2 modes, full throttle, and full brake.

Feather the throttle, and use inertia to carry you into corners. Consistency is what wins races, not top speed.

As for tactics, traction is your friend. Good drive tires, proper spring rate for the track, and a well adjusted slipper clutch. When you can, pass entering or exiting corners, especially after straight aways. Draft the guy you want to pass at least through a few turns. Just start accelerating at the apex of the turn.

Just remeber that a consistent driver will finish better than a fast driver.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:29 PM

Just remeber that a consistent driver will finish better than a fast driver

I am going to diagree on that. If you can drive and need speed to win a race because the guy in front of you is faster then go all out. Go big or go home
Old 09-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Banned

Yea Say there two trucks.One is a bit faster then the other and their both running consistant lap times the faster one is going to win.You HAVE to have the speed.On the other hand I normally rave off-raod so this stuff does count in a way.Also another HUGE tip is to make sure your steering is trimmed out right and dont crash.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Banned

I think you guys are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm saying, use 10% more than your closest competition is using. If using 80% of your hardware is going to beat him, then use 80%. By going all out, you a.) show him everything you've got, b.) have nothing in reserve and c.) have less control of the hardware. A slower car handles better and is more predictable. You obviously can't be slower than 2nd place, though sometimes I HAVE been and still won because 2nd place was pushing too hard.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:30 PM

its fact. driving slow can be faster.i dont mean your actually going slower. its throttle and steering "modulation". finding a comfortable rythym. apexing turns and keeping your corner speed up by minimizing tire scrub.i have jumped to a comfortable lead with a hole shot and a bonzai blitz in offroad racing, in stock truck, then try to just settle in. then look at the lap times and find my fastest laps in that period of laps that i was just trying to maintain a lead in.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:41 PM

yeah. exactly. not crashing is a perfect example of slower being faster.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:37 AM

Yes that is. I usually go out there and see how others drive so I drive smooth and consisiten then the next race if I have to push a lilltle and be on the gas a little more I will be and then when the finials come around and IF I make it then I will up my game a liitle more if needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.