Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Skrap's Given into the Dark Side

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skrap's Given into the Dark Side

Yup, that's right.

I was up at the lhs this afternoon with a couple of gift cards just burning a hole in my pocket. I was going to buy a few this and that for the T3, when I saw it.

They had an RD Logics SHO 1/8 4wd buggy on the shelf for $300.00. I thought "holy cow! that's cheap!"

Well, since I sold the T-maxx, I've been yearning for something nitro again. I also wanted to get something with an active racing class at the track. I figured I'll still have my T3 for the ST races, and this gives me a new class to compete in.

So I got it...

I just finished running the 3rd tank of fuel through it, so in the morning, I'm going to see just how well this thing performs.

If I don't like it, I can always fall back on plan B, and convert it to brushless electric. I may yet go that route anyway. Just to prove to the guys at the track that it can be done.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:17 PM

Default RE: Skrap's Given into the Dark Side

oh noez not nitro!! Traitor!!! j/k Since you have driven your nitro buggy, how fast is it compared to brushless?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

ive never run the rd logics, it sounds hott
Old 01-06-2006, 10:24 PM

I'm going to strap the GPS on it in the morning. The street's are dry now, so I'm going to peak one of my IB3800's and run the 5800 in the T3 for comparison. ( Last time I did a GPS run on the 5800, I got to 35mph, but I've since replaced the endbell and rotor, so the speeds should increase..)

I'll tell you this, the GS .21c engine in it is MUUUUCH easier to tune than anything Traxxas has ever produced. Other than a dud glow plug it's been a delight to work on.

I checked the stats on my BK Warrior 9918 ESC. I can run up to 12 cells, and handle the 8l brushless motor. All I'd have to do is fashion a motor plate, and pull the throttle servo. I blame StudySession, and his 1.8 buggy conversion!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:53 PM

Well, our own RCU reviewed this very buggy not all that long ago. Lots of praise, and few complaints. The tie-bar issue is solved with the RD Logics Aluminum set ($28.50 at the LHS). It's nice to buy something that's darned near perfect out of the box! ( this RTR definately does NOT suck! )

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=588

For the price, it's a steal, whether you keep it nitro, or go the brushless route.

I went ahead and swapped out the garbage radio for a Futaba 3pm, and put in a pair of Futaba S3305s( yeah, it's .08 seconds slower, and 13 in/oz less torque than the stock Airtronics,, but it's alot easier to set the EPAs on the radio if the servo is the same manufacturer! )

So, should I leave it Nitro, or convert it?

Heck, for the price, I can buy another.... Have one nitro and one brushless electric... My bonus is due in February too......

Oooh! Bad thoughts! Bad thoughts!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:26 AM

Slightly o/t... Skrap, when I first saw this I was like "WOW an R/C SHO!".... Duh, its late and I need to goto bed... It's a wonder they were allowed to use that name on it... Ford Taurus SHO, which I do have. I remember when Kawasaki had the Zephyr in the late 80's Ford forced them to rename it... Anyway sounds like a neat new toy. Now if we'd just get some decent snow... 50 degrees again on Monday...
Old 01-07-2006, 12:31 AM

skrap make it brushless >=)
Old 01-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Banned

all traxxas motors are asses to tune, hpi and ofna has always been the best to me, my savage never needs tuning but maybe a slight turn on the hsp, my rustler however with that .15 with 2.5 sqeezed out of it wasa *****, sorry for my language but frekin seriously ive never had a worst motor, i bought it used so who know what the previous owner had done to it,

never get an xtm motor though, defnintly bad tuning on them, i could spend hours getting pissed off at my xtm motor but it wont tune for anything, something was always off and it wouldnt ever run right, so i said screw em,

got a used savage from a guy i knew awhile back that ran rc's with me, it was barely used but was dirty as hell and a few parts broken and had been sititng for about 5 months, scored it for 200, went to the hobby shop bought 30 bucks worth of parts including 2 plugs, damn thing started up first freking click and ran like a bat out of hell,

I LOVE HPI!!! IT PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE FOR A LONG TIME AFTER HEARING THAT THING RUN, i definitly wanna hear aobut this 1/8 buggy cause i think they have a few at my lhs,
Old 01-07-2006, 12:35 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Leave it NITRO!!! I personally have a fleet of 1 nitro and 3 electrics. Can't stand all electrics, but can't stand all nitros (fuel is kinda [sm=greedy.gif] ). So, I kept it down to a nitro MT and 3 1/10 and 1/18 electrics.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:51 AM

keep er nitro....gotta have aleast one of each in the fleet

THNX
Duggy
Old 01-07-2006, 01:19 AM

I'd run it nitro at least untill the piston\sleeve are bad. And amen to other engines being easier to tune than traxxas ones. [:-]
Old 01-07-2006, 02:34 AM

Do they have a truggy kit for this buggy? I want a "supertruck". That is what an article in RC Driver wants to change truggy too. He thinks instead of truggy, everyone should start calling them supertruck and they should have their own class. I just want the low-center of gravity, but with monter truck capabilities.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Leave it nitro. It's more fun!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:20 AM

Mmmmmmmmm I agree it would be cool to have a nitro, for the smell, more life likeness and more tinkering things, but make it Bl so you can beat them 1:8 nitro buggies, show them elec's own!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:22 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I gotta say Scrap, when I read the title I was expecting an Evader review I may have to check one of these out... Let us know how you like it! (mine would be brushless)
Old 01-07-2006, 10:17 AM
My Feedback: (34)

i've been debating on switching to the dark side to get a 1/8 buggy, or i'll just stay elec and get a stampede.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
My Feedback: (39)

skrap!!!! NO!!!!!! I have two nirtors. two don't work[:@] yet I still wan't another one. See how the dark side sucks you in?
Old 01-07-2006, 02:04 PM

I've got three nitros now. One's engine is evil, but the engine in my LST fires up right away.It's awesome, and It's fast.

I don't know about you, but you're going to need a fast motor to keep up with the Nitros. Those things are the fastest, and most durable off road racing vehicles. They will hit around 50 mph on the straights, and mine with a 13 tooth clutch bell accelerates almost as fast as my little rc10 with 27 turn motor. It's insane fast too.

There was this one article in rc car, where this guy converted his buggy to electric. He out accelerated them, but couldn't keep up with them on the straights
Old 01-07-2006, 06:14 PM

Ok, the results are in:

Running Trinity Monster Horsepower break-in blend ( 20% nitro ), It peaked at 37.8mph. I know I can get faster than that. The fuel has 18% castor oil in it, so I'm not getting all the power that it's capable of. I'm going to start leaning it out in a few more tanks.

I ran the re-worked SS5800 with the IB cells as well. I got a top speed of 36.8mph.

Runtimes: The SHO lasts about 12 minutes, with a 75cc tank. The T3 ran 17 minutes with the 5800.

Handling: Hands down the 4wd is easier to drive. The low CG, and the addition of sway bars make this thing almost idiot-proof. The T3 still handles well, but cannot corner as quickly, and cannot accelerate through the turn like the buggy can.

Durability: Well, it's only 38*f here today. That makes plastic a bit brittle. The CF parts on the T3 ran just fine, and held up to some minor jumping. The SHO didn't fare so well.

If you read the RCU review, you'll note that the major complaint was the front and rear axle tie blocks. They're plastic, and broke on the author. I'm sad to report the same failure on mine. It lasted 2 tanks of gas after the break-in, then not only did I break the tie block, I also broke the shock mount and the sway-bar mount. I got the upgraded aluminum tie-bars, and replaced the damaged swivel mounts. I ran it again, and it was quite fun.

Conclusion:

This is the most fun I've had with a nitro, ever. Out of the box, 40+ mph. It is initially cheaper than my brushless powered ST's, but that contiunuing cost in fuel will more than make up for it.

Totals : RD Logics SHO $300.00
1 quart of break-in blend fuel $14.00
12 AA batteries $13.50
Upgraded tie-bar $28.50
1 gallon 20% nitro $28.50
Near 40mph out of the box!

(For Comparison) RC10T3 FT kit $174.00
Novak SS5800 brushless system $210.00
1 IB3800 6 cell pack $39.00
Futaba 2PL radio system $65.00
36+ mph, with better runtimes.

Which is better? I still have to go with the Brushless system. Less maintenace, less hassle, less mess, longer runtimes.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

neither is better, i love my savage cause the ***** never breaks, totally stock savage is tuffer than any electric out there, in the long run nitro does cost more with piston and sleeve replacement and 1 ways and gas, at the same time electric is much more up front to compete with a nitro and it still wont beat it no matter what but it will keep up pretty well.

thats why i run crawlers, cause an eletric crawler is virtually maintence free and its a custom free build to do with whatever i please, and when i need speed and jumping 20 freking feet in the air then ill pull out the savage, my savage will do about 40 top end leaned out a little more,
Old 01-07-2006, 10:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jkrustchinsky

electric is much more up front to compete with a nitro and it still wont beat it no matter what but it will keep up pretty well.
what are you smoking...an electric wont beat a nitro but it will keep up???? on a flat out drag race a brushless can almost always run circules around its nitro counterpart.
for example, as of right now, the Menance is the only stadium truck(and its not even a true stadium truck) that i couldnt toast with my stadium truck, and once i get my new battery pack, then i wil be able to give it a run for its money. i dare say that a good brushless st would easily toast any of the st's with .12 or .15 motors, the .18's might be a bit tighter...
Old 01-08-2006, 12:14 AM

what weighs more:

your nitro motor, full fuel tank, throttle servo, throttle linkage, motor mounts, exhaust pipe, failsafe, reciever batt pack, (and im sure im forgetting something)

or,

brushless esc, brushless motor, motor plate of your design, and 7-8 ib 3800s.??????????

could it be made to run as fast as it does now on the nitro????? and for longer????????
Old 01-08-2006, 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: sleepy23

ORIGINAL: jkrustchinsky

electric is much more up front to compete with a nitro and it still wont beat it no matter what but it will keep up pretty well.
what are you smoking...an electric wont beat a nitro but it will keep up???? on a flat out drag race a brushless can almost always run circules around its nitro counterpart.
for example, as of right now, the Menance is the only stadium truck(and its not even a true stadium truck) that i couldnt toast with my stadium truck, and once i get my new battery pack, then i wil be able to give it a run for its money. i dare say that a good brushless st would easily toast any of the st's with .12 or .15 motors, the .18's might be a bit tighter...
I have to agree with sleepy here... electrics weigh less, accelerate faster, and have the potential to beat nitros...
Old 01-08-2006, 03:17 AM

ORIGINAL: SkrapIron

Ok, the results are in:

Running Trinity Monster Horsepower break-in blend ( 20% nitro ), It peaked at 37.8mph. I know I can get faster than that. The fuel has 18% castor oil in it, so I'm not getting all the power that it's capable of. I'm going to start leaning it out in a few more tanks.

I ran the re-worked SS5800 with the IB cells as well. I got a top speed of 36.8mph.

Runtimes: The SHO lasts about 12 minutes, with a 75cc tank. The T3 ran 17 minutes with the 5800.

Handling: Hands down the 4wd is easier to drive. The low CG, and the addition of sway bars make this thing almost idiot-proof. The T3 still handles well, but cannot corner as quickly, and cannot accelerate through the turn like the buggy can.

Durability: Well, it's only 38*f here today. That makes plastic a bit brittle. The CF parts on the T3 ran just fine, and held up to some minor jumping. The SHO didn't fare so well.

If you read the RCU review, you'll note that the major complaint was the front and rear axle tie blocks. They're plastic, and broke on the author. I'm sad to report the same failure on mine. It lasted 2 tanks of gas after the break-in, then not only did I break the tie block, I also broke the shock mount and the sway-bar mount. I got the upgraded aluminum tie-bars, and replaced the damaged swivel mounts. I ran it again, and it was quite fun.

Conclusion:

This is the most fun I've had with a nitro, ever. Out of the box, 40+ mph. It is initially cheaper than my brushless powered ST's, but that contiunuing cost in fuel will more than make up for it.

Totals : RD Logics SHO $300.00
1 quart of break-in blend fuel $14.00
12 AA batteries $13.50
Upgraded tie-bar $28.50
1 gallon 20% nitro $28.50
Near 40mph out of the box!

(For Comparison) RC10T3 FT kit $174.00
Novak SS5800 brushless system $210.00
1 IB3800 6 cell pack $39.00
Futaba 2PL radio system $65.00
36+ mph, with better runtimes.

Which is better? I still have to go with the Brushless system. Less maintenace, less hassle, less mess, longer runtimes.
Skrap, a 1/8 should come with a 125cc tank. Toss that stupid ST size tank, and get a normal 1/8 buggy size tank. That'll bring you up to around 15-17 minutes of runtime.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:30 AM
Banned

yeah right guys, i know for a fact my big heavy ass savage will would take any electric you guys can bring up, my xtm x factor will take any brushless and it will pull a wheelie off the line,

face it, nitros are faster no matter how you do it, and come on guys, my old trinty reflex that i built up did 76 mph and got there damn fast!! ridiculously fast, you couldnt even imgaine, so dont go there, if i want extra run time which i already get about 15 minutes atleast maybe more out of a stock savge, and i got about 17 minutes out of a x factor all i would have to do it buy a 225cc fuel tank, an electric cannot touch a nitro in any respect except maintence and cost
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73956.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	383290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28861.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	383291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26820.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	383292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13220.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	383293  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.